Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totalhipgardens

Need a smaller Guacamole

totalhipgardens
9 years ago

My Guacamole(s) have gotten too big. Looking for a hosta similar in color, shape but with a 24"-30" width. Companion plants have voted for more of that wonderful light green rather than the often seen variegation with gold. Needs to handle AM sun. Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Gold Standard and Midwest Magic are similar, but a little smaller.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Guacamole is a grower, I will give you that !

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

so you will give up fragrance for size???

ken

• User
    9 years ago

A really tough guy is Dick Ward. Described in HLibrary as similar to Midwest Magic but slow growing. It may be too brassy in the middle for you, but it will stay smaller than the lovely Guacamole.

If you are going to find a new home for Guacamole, I bet you have no problem finding multiple offers.

Here is my Dick Ward which I've grown since May 2010.
    Taken this May. Scape is fairly short, flowers lavender. Not fragrant. It can take the morning sun in stride, but a lot of it will cause the leaf to become more yellow in the middle.

Here it is last August in zone 9a, a soft color midleaf, but nary a slug hole anywhere. Like I say, it is tough and has great substance.

Check it out.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I love that August pic of Dick Ward. Never seen quite that color combination. Too bad I don't have more open space so I can get one. : (

Kate

• User
    9 years ago

It is slow growing, Kate. A new one doesn't take up much room. :)

And TotalHip, your name did not strike me, just the thought you were looking for a GUACAMOLE replacement!

Welcome to the forum. We love hosta, and have fun doing it. Hope you show us some of your TotallyHipGardens. We love pictures.

• totalhipgardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

>so you will give up fragrance for size??

While I almost always go with fragrance, in the case, size & color is the preference.

• totalhipgardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

>so you will give up fragrance for size??

While I almost always go with fragrance, in the case, size & color is the preference.

• totalhipgardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The May pic of Dick Ward looks great, but the Aug pic does look too gold. However, there are always other locations that could use a tough guy in the neighborhood.

• User
    9 years ago

Great! I am glad you find Dick Ward a good hosta for your garden in some capacity. It is a survivor.

Stick around, TotallyHip. If you almost always go for fragrance, the blooming season for fragrants is coming up soon. In fact it is already begun at my house due to some fasciated scapes really opening....and one seedpod set already on 24 Caret Gold. Several of the forum folks are fans of the fragrants, including myself, so we'll be shifting into high gear very soon. Hang in there with us.

• totalhipgardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

>Hope you show us some of your TotalHipGardens. We love pictures.

An example of the colors I'm trying to maintain. That's Midnight Rose heuchera and the very first bloom from a recently planted Comte de Chambord band.

• User
    9 years ago

Hmmm, tasty looking!