Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Yellows in the Sun

Gesila
10 years ago

It's been a wonderful season for hostas in the sun. I haven't turned on the mister yet or mulched this area yet.. Here's a few of my yellows growing in full sun:

Rascal just turning yellow:

He's not yellow, but he's my favorite in the sun, Peter Ruh:

Sun Power in the rear with Made You Look in front of it and Captain Kirk to the right:

Zounds, first year:

Little Aurora, rescued from the weeds:

Mister Watson

Dick Ward

This entire hosta bed was a deck 2 years ago!

Gesila

Comments (9)

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Gesila, this is an amazing thread! Such big, beautiful yellows! And gorgeous photos.

Just moved one of my August Moons to full sun this season and it got a bit scorched, though hopefully *next* season it'll be full and well adjusted to its new location.

Here is June Fever, second year in my garden:

On Stage, also second year, gets a lot of afternoon sun:

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great-looking plants, Gesila. I can't wait til my 'Mister Watson' matures like yours!

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Gesila, I love your plants! I haven't heard of Peter Ruh before and it looks really unique, I like Mister Watson as well. Who needs a hosta catalogue when you have this forum?

That June Fever is quite bright, nice.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

very nice, Gesila!

First year Zounds? That's a might fine (big) starter plant!

I think you can officially start thinking about crowding... My Mister Watson is also in a lot of sun and it's getting quite large. It was registered at a 17" diameter so I gave it a smallish spot... think again! Its a sport from King Tut, which is a tokudama an takes a long time to get larger, so that might explain the registration.

I think Dick Ward is registered at 30" diameter, but its a sport of Zounds and is a better grower than its parent. My old Zounds is certainly in th 40" range... I suspect Dick Ward will easily go 4' given a little time. Peter Ruh is a reversed sport of Paul's Glory... I haven't grown it, but it should just keep getting bigger and bigger if you don't have to chop it up to rough out the sports...

I've always though its a pretty nice problem to have - hostas that grow too well!

• Lee
    10 years ago

Very very nice... I think I need to move Rascal to a sunnier spot.

• kalija
    10 years ago

Those are some very nice yellows! When I first started with hosta I didn't really think I was into yellows but the more pics I see like that the more I like them. How many hours of sun are they getting? You are inspiring me to make use of some of my sunnier spots perhaps....really like Captain Kirk - never saw one that bright looking.
    Also, WW, that June Fever is beautiful! How much sun does she get?

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

June Fever gets shade in the first half of the day and maybe four hours of afternoon sun. The first pic I posted was from mid May, since it was the best image I could find of it alone, but here is a photo from Memorial Day weekend, and you can already see that some of the leaves are getting bleached out by the sun:

By August it really shows, but you can see that it actually held up better than poor Ventricosa in the upper left corner. This is from August 2012:

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

I have to admit that years ago I thought yellow hosta looked sickly. Gesila's display would certainly change my attitude, if it hadn't already been adjusted.

Jon

• esox48
    10 years ago

Almost invariably, when I see a serious hosta garden, I think it's too dark. So I'm a big fan of bright variegated hostas and the golds. (Can't bring myself to say "yellows" any more than I can bring myself to say Yellow Standard or Yellow Regal.)