Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Spring Fling and a few friends

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Spring Fling isn't all extended yet, but already looking good.

Spring Fling Seedling - third year, made the cut to the garden and starting to show its heritage.

Pilgrim - already looking filled out

Katsuragawa Beni - new and looking for a spot in the garden.

Striptease - really looked good last year and looks primed for this year. All it's related sports have leafed out - no idea why this one is so slow unfurling.

Liberty -

Lady's Mantle - threw this one in for the little dew droplets around the edge of the leaves.

Limey Lisa - fighting off a geranium

Roller Coaster Ride - trying to catch up with Melissa's and Phil's

Silver Threads and Golden Needles - every year the first look at pips makes me wonder if it got set back - but it perseveres.

Laura and Darrell

Mango Tango - lost one to solid color, this one had the stitching last year, so assuming it is coming yet this year.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (10)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Love that shot of Liberty! So pretty! Spring Fling is on my wish list now.

I see you have sweet woodruff growing among your hostas. Do you have any problems with it choking out the hosta?

Linda

• User
    10 years ago

Paul, you mean Mango Tango gets STITCHES? Wow, I had no idea. I thought it was just another nice tropical flavored gold with red pets or something. I'll definitely keep that one on the short list.

All your photos are great, what lovely plants you have to work with. It's a treat definitely.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda - look at the Pilgrim pic above and check out the small yellow (Little Aurora), Sweet Woodruff may be a little much for such a small hosta, but otherwise I haven't had a problem. Sometimes I pull some out near the base in spring before the pips start pushing up.

moc - here's a pic of same plant from last year.

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

Phil, I did not know that was Mango Tango. I thought it was Stitch In Time. Which is why I bought that one, now deceased.
    Guess it was Mango Tango I intended to get all along.

Well, yes, I will have it on my short list.
    And, I admire your camera work on Striptease. That is a stage of hosta emerging that I've not seen much of. With all new plants most less than 2 years old, no big clumps in my container plantings. It's really leading to thoughts of in-ground gardening in certain spots of my garden. DH has cleared out a new bed for me too. I want to see hosta with lots of eyes.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Mocc,you have Paul and Phil mixed up! I don't have Mango Tango. Paul,my Spring Fling came up OK this year after being planted last year,but,even though the leaves were wider,it was very small. I found later that a vole was eating it below ground. I have since moved it while it still had roots. My Roller Coaster Ride is huge this year,but yours looks like it is catching up. Nice pics! Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Oops, sorry about that. Lot of difference in NC and MN! :)

Still and all, the Mango Tango is something that set me to researching the MYHOSTAS.BE for hours last night, so I was up until almost 3am. It continued to rain last night, and this morning the sweltering humid heat is back with a vengeance.

At least, the danged squirrels did not dig up my peper sprayed new arrivals AGAIN last night. So I'll head to my picture folder and post those in a new thread today.

Happy hosta-ing.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Well, I was going to look at Paul's Spring Fling, as I was considering it for purchase but the pictures are gone. I use Photo bucket too. I better check to see if mine are gone.

Anyway I'm looking for a taller medium, variegated for a prominent spot. How tall does yours get Paul.

Beverly

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bev, I don't know what is up with Photobucket - bandwidth was used up in the first 7 days of the month. They will all be back on July 3rd. So will load a pic using GW photo feature (a lot less detail). Here's a pic of Spring Fling from last year - taller than Maui BC and shorter than Abba Dabba Do - both along right edge of pic. I think roughly the height of Paradigm maybe a bit shorter. Hostapedia says 24" tall.

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

Paul, I see now what they mean by bandwidth. Why don't you look at Flickr? Check it out. What a bummer for them to deny the display of the older uploaded shots. I'd hope that once they appear and you do not relocate them in the albums, they'd be visible forever more....or until you close your account. But they want a paid account. Just a tease, that's what I see. I stopped using my Photobucket account, and now I keep it so I can view albums of other folks.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Thanks Paul, I need it tall enough to cover a down spout, but not so wide as a large or giant Hosta.

Beverly