Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coll_123

thunderbot, Queen of the Seas, and a fountain

coll_123
10 years ago

I'm combining some requests from my other recent thread into this one.

First is Thunderbolt...the most unphotogenic hosta for me for some reason. It just looks better in person, to me.

from above

Queen of the Seas, looking really rippled and tall this year. Last year I thought it held it's color nicely

this is my fountain that I made out of hypertufa. It's probably the favorite thing in my garden. I love watching the birds enjoy it and the sound is really relaxing- until the neighbors' lawn crews show up :/ I wish I lived in the woods!

The birdies show up at twilight for their showers- and I have to be sly about taking pics. They do not like to be watched!

One last one- Tom Schmid looking really handsome tonight. Truly a vase shaped hosta.

Comments (17)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I love that fountain, it is so unique and fun!

I love the pictures of your garden. I remember seeing them last year and just recently I was wondering if you would post more this year. I am glad you did. Your garden is beautiful and I love seeing pictures of all the mature hostas that you have since most of mine are still small. Your Queen of the Seas in amazing. I am glad I bought that one this year.

Linda

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

Your fountain is so cool and perfect for that spot. Beautiful garden and great hostas too!

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Where did you get your fountain? It is beautiful among all the great plants. Didi you make it or purchase it?

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Your garden looks like you live in the woods! I have a small space and I am definitely out of room but that doesn't stop me :)
    What size is your back garden?

• User
    10 years ago

Your planting style and your fountain style are very zen. Peaceful and quiet until the yard crew buzzes into the neighborhood.

The fountain is a great design which could look in motion even if the water is turned off. It also looks like a torte covered in fruit slices. Heavy old stone, a millstone, perfect combined with water. Love your garden, and the controlled way you give space to the major hosta so they are featured....yet there is a lushness of leaf texture and size, other species. Enjoyable to visit I bet.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

There is nothing unphotogenic about your Thunderbolt - it looks amazing, as does the rest of your garden. Love the fountain, was it difficult to make? You did a great job on it!

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

I have always thought the big older Thunderbolts leaves look like they were made out of old heavy leather bomber jackets.

A friend of mine had on that was pretty nice.. but the brutal heat last year really set it back this year.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

How did you make your fountain? It's wonderful, love the patterns in it. Also your Tom Schmid, can't wait for mine to bigger and look like that.

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

I also love your fountain, it's so unique and fits the space to a T.

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paula, I'm not quite sure how big my back yard/garden is. I'll have to try to measure.

almosthooked, I made the fountain out of hypertufa but I have seen similar ones available for purchase- google "millstone fountain"

Madplanter, you won't have to wait long for your Tom Schmid to grow up.

The fountain was not hard to make. I just cast a large disc with a center hole and carved the pattern on the top. Hypertufa is pretty easy to work with and carve before it cures. On the under side there is a channel carved about a half inch from the edge and that helps the water drip back down into the underground basin.
    I don't really have any pictures in progress, but I'm sure someone has put instructions for similar fountains on the internet.

Thanks, everyone!

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

I want a fountain! Love yours. Spotted one on my hosta day trip the other day that I loved, but just couldn't justify the expense. $260. Especially since I just spent $200 on hosta! And bought some of my Mom's hosta for her birthday/Mother's Day present. I am going to search how to make one.

Love your hosta too!!

Oh, by the way, DH does not want a fountain. Says it would just make him have to pee all the time!

• shade_tolerant
    10 years ago

Coll, just heavenly! That is one of the nicest Thunderbolts ever and your QotS is on the money too, looks like it wants to bust right out of that pot!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Beautiful stuff,coll! My QOTS is looking a little puny this year. I think it was because of the strange weather in the spring. Phil

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Coll, thanks for posting the fountain again. I love it. I really enjoy the birds, so maybe a fountain is the right way to go.

I love your Queen of the seas. The darling demon doglet got mine last summer, so we're back to juvenile leaves.

thanks again.

bk

• irawon
    10 years ago

I love your Queen of the Seas too. That green shrub (aruncus?) sure accentuates its colour. I'm realizing mine doesn't look as good because I have it right in front of a tree trunk.

And I think you took great pictures of your Thunderbolt.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Great hosta, and an even greater fountain. That takes artistry I certainly lack. Trying to imagine getting those "grinding parts" to come out symmetrical makes my head explode.

Thanks for the pix.

tj

• mary52zn8tx
    10 years ago

Fantastic fountain and garden! I would love to watch the birds there, too. Thanks for sharing!