Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

I have the best pest control!

brandys_garden
10 years ago

Today, while I was potting my Luna Moth and El Nino and tending to the rest of the hosta, I had my Maine Coon King Arthur outside with me on his harness. He caught a vole trying his best to climb into one of the pots!! No way, but it didn't stop the little jerk from trying! King Arthur made short work of him! There are no "warnings" when you mess with his and mama's garden, man! Execution is precise and swift! Let that be you warning!

Here is mama's hero and good boy after (excuse the mess)!

Comments (6)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Awww, cute little bloody kitty!

Don B.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

And here is MY Maine Coon, Bijou. She is an indoor-only kitty, so she has to limit herself to patrolling for stray crickets and cat toys. She is sooo funny...when she enters a room, she often feels that she needs to pay admission by bringing me an "entry ticket". She brings one of her toys into the room, making a very distinct crying noise that she reserves only for bringing in an entry ticket, and drops the toy at my feet. Hilarious!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Bravo, King Arthur! Nothing like an efficient cat. Here's our (picked him up on the side of the road, but we think he's a) Maine Coon Cat, Caesar. He's great at catching mice who get in the house, but then he can't figure out what to do with them. I usually have to put on gardening gloves and toss a wet but alive mouse out the door.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

King Arthur is indoor only as well but occasionally, I take him for a stroll around the hosta garden with his harness and leash. It always gets a chuckle. He is a good hunter. He is mommy's bug and spider killer! He loves the hosta garden. He considers himself the watch cat of it! He never messes with the hostas he just likes to look and lay under them and look for pest disturbing HIS garden!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Shasta,

Three (baby) rabbits while on her leash.

One huge hare. Bolted out of her kennel, circled behind it and the chase was on. The hare headed into the brush where I was sure it would get away. A scuffle in the brush and ten minutes later Shasta comes back with evidence of victory on her head and ear.

One small squirrel that made the mistake of getting within range when she was on her run.

She is the most affectionate lovable dog, loves kids and all humans and other dogs, but, she obviously has hundreds of years of well honed hunting instinct.

Jon

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Lovely, precious kitties. . . I love cats and cats, for whatever reason, are attracted to me. If I'm in a room and a cat is there it ends up on my lap.. . even one who usually hides when company comes. People are amazed. I'm beginning to think I smell like catnip or something. The neighbor cat has adopted me and follows me all over the garden. She either sits under a hosta while I work or she sits on my back when I'm on my knees weeding. . .my eyes water and I have sneezing attacks, but she doesn't seem to mind. .

Jonny. . .You go, pretty Shasta. . I love a good bunny/chipmonk dog. . sounds like Shasta's much more than just ornamental . . lol

Don. . .lololololol