Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My collection of mice. Revisited

Posted by W3CSX 7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 21:54

Last month you may recall I started this project to document my mouse ears collection. Every month I plan to re-photo the collection. Just for the sake of comparison. We can keep track of how the colors progress though out the session. This also should help distinguish the differences between the varieties. Please feel free to add photos of your own. Especially if you have any sports I do not have in my collection.

If you missed last months report. Here is a link to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: My collection of mice (May 22)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My collection of mice. Revisited

Blue Mouse Ears. At least 5 flower buds ready to do their thing.

o

Frosted Mouse Ears. I think the color has gotten better.
Sorry the tag is a little out of focus.

o

Holly Mouse Ears. Again the colors are more vibrant.

o

Green Mouse Ears

o

Royal Mouse Ears. This guy has gotten much bigger in the last month. But look at how the variegation shifts through out the plant.

o

Calico Mouse Ears. The color of this has shifted a little. last month it was much lighter. Almost a white especially compared to Royal M.E. Now the colors are much closer. I still like Calico over Royal.

o

Mighty Mouse. Very cute one. A must if you are only going to get a few.

This post was edited by W3CSX on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 23:06

o

Pure Heart. Mighty Mouse's polar opposite. The color is not as rich. Not as thick of a leaf as other BME sports.

o

Itty Bitty. By far the smallest of the BME group. The variegation is slowly shifting. Same Eye but each new leaf comes out greener than the last.

o

Mighty Moe. The color is still there but look at the green speckles that are dotting the yellow center. Very Handsome.

o

Blue Mouse Ears Supreme. The giant little one. Same gold streak as Royal M.E. But larger leaf and faster grower. Look how the leaf is overtaking the label. Compare that to last months photo. My favorite of the streakers.

o

Cat and Mouse. Last month I reported it smaller then last year. Apparently it was just getting started. It has grown out to be as big as last years. Still showing a fare amount of the yellow ghosting. By next month I'm sure it will be all green.

o

Just a over head shot of Cat and Mouse. Just to show the subtle yellow center.

o

Giantland Sunny Mouse Ears. Its Coming Back! A victim of frost heave this past winter. It had just started to sprout the day or two be for last months report. The poor thing still not as good as last year. But considering two months ago I almost written her off. I think she is doing well.

o

Church Mouse. The plant seen here is a new planting. Only about a week in the ground. This is my second Church Mouse. The first one was planted late last fall. It too frost heaved on me. Much like Sunny M.E. did. Unfortunately the winter spent on top of the ground was too much for the first one to make it.

o

Snow Mouse. Yet another to get better color as the spring progressed.

o

Mini Skirt. Lots of growth since last month. the leaves have straiten out a little. Not as curly as I had imagined. But an unexpected surprise. Check out the two tone look of the newer leaves vs. the older ones. I hope this keeps this up through out the summer. This kind of reminds me of Appletini and how that hosta keeps pushing leaves up all summer. The newer leafs are yellow and older ones fade to a green apple. Giving it a multi layered look.

This post was edited by W3CSX on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 23:00

o

Giantland Mouse Cheese. Same color as last month. Hoping it stays that way all summer.

o

Flamenco Mouse. Not much change here. Got to love the ruffles.

o

Thanks for documenting the changes throughout the growing season.

I lost my Pure Heart to squirrels last year. I have Snow Mouse and it is a honey. Very strong grower for me.It shares a bowl with two other mini hostas.
DSCN0034

o

Field Rat. Not too much change here either. Not too sure how this is going to fit in with the rest of the B.M.E. clan. She is starting to look like she will grow much larger then all the others.

o

New this Month. Ruffled Mouse ears. She is much like other curly leaf sports. Only not as twisted. I would call it "ruffled" to Church Mouse's "curly" leaves. I'm really interested in seeing how these compare to each other.

This post was edited by W3CSX on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 23:11

o

That is it for now. Hope I'm not boring everyone with this.

Jason

This post was edited by W3CSX on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 23:02

o

Enjoy seeing your mice. I have just a couple, BME and Mighty Mouse. Lost Frosted last winter. Seeing what yours (and mine) do will help me decide whether to expand my collection.

o

Thanks for posting your lovely pics. I didn't realise there were so many mice!

o

You certainly have a big beautiful collection, didn't know there were so many. I've only got a few - Holy Mouse Ears, Frosted Mouse Ears, Blue ME, and Church Mouse. Cat and Mouse and Snow Mouse are sure tempting.

o

Jason, thanks for the pictorial. Do you have any more info on 'Field Rat', the usual info sources do not list it.

Pieter

o

Jason, your Mouse collection is quite extensive...I also wasn't aware of so many being available! That Field Rat is appropriately named as far as size-comparator goes. Lol

I have a beautiful set of (4 divisions-from one plant I've had since 2008) BME and a HME so far. I was astonished at the growth from last year to this...last eye count settled at 37 compared to 11 last year. Now THAT'S a leap we all love to experience. There are a lot of flower scapes poking their heads up already!

I really enjoyed looking at your progress pictures. Featuring each one separately allows the viewer time to appreciate details without distraction.
Thank you for sharing your lovely Mouse collection! :-)

Jo

o

Field Rat is actually a sport of Flamenco Mouse. It and Flamanco are available through Hallson's Perennials. Both where made available just this year. Field Rat has few similarities to Blue Mouse Ears. The substance is thick but thinner then most other "Ears". It has a much pointier leaf. The plant is also growing much faster then any other mice I have. I expect Hallsons suspicion of it growing much larger then B.M.E. to be correct.

I think it looks much like H. Blue Cadet the parent of Blue Mouse Ears. Hallson's description on Field Rat says the blooms will be dark purple like Flamenco but taller and shaped differently. I will know more about this once it blooms for me. So far no flower buds.

Jason

o

Almost forgot. I wanted to add the link to Field Rat in my last post

Here is a link that might be useful: Field Rat:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here