Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Some garden pictures

robo (z6a)
9 years ago

I snapped some pictures out in the yard tonight and thought I'd share. My gardens are very immature but some of the plants are coming along okay!

Abba Dabba Do year 2 - gonna be a yard eater for sure

Moon River year 2 - not sure how I feel about this leaf texture yet but I'm looking forward to seeing it mature.

Whirlwind looking whirly

WW leaf

Praying Hands year 3 - not doing too much

I think this is Satisfaction. Whatever it is, it's asking me why I planted it so close to the threadleaf falsecypress.

Blue Arrow - really love the habit and leaf shape on this one. It seems happy in my little edge bed and I love it with the blue fescue and rosy buckler fern.

June (3 years) and Touch of Class (new)

Another new purchase, The King. Love the leaves!

Thanks for looking! And thanks for all the help and advice. Always much appreciated :)

Sarah

Comments (12)

• lesmc
    9 years ago

So pretty Sarah. Love swing your Hostas. Lesley

• WILDernessWen
    9 years ago

Your pictures are gorgeous. WW

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

You said "the plants are coming along okay!"
    .....the plants are coming along superbly!!!

• hostanista
    9 years ago

You just made me put Blue Arrow on my list! Agreed, wonderful pictures. Colour is so sharp. Love the Japanese Maple next to Abba Dabba Do.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Looking really good. Just wait til you see 'em next year! My gardens are not much older than yours are. Every new season is fresh happiness.

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I really like Blue Arrow. Your gardens look great!

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

You place your hostas well. I like the plant combinations.

Beverly

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately the overview shots aren't quite as nice as the closeups -- too many tiny hostas with a mulch ocean around them... But that should change in the next few years. I also have a problem where I plant too many things with tiny little leaves. Not enough broad leaves (yet) or fern leaves. So my gardens look really busy.

Beverly, I like companion plants almost as much as I like hostas!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Love your hostas and companion plants!

Kate

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Loved your pictures. Praying Hands looks wonderful and is silhouetted nicely against the lighter companions behind. There was a post recently about how to best showcase PH, and it seems you solved the riddle. What is the arching grassy solid green plant to the left of Praying Hands? I NEEEEED some of that! Also, what is your most reliable dark burgundy/bronzy colored heuchera? What is the heuchera next to Satisfaction? I have had very spotty success with heuchera, but I love them with hostas.

Your plant combinations are so good. Thanks for this post.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Great plants! My Abba Dabba Do is years older than yours,but nowhere the size. Praying Hands is a pathetic little hosta,but yours looks great. Mine is still barely alive. Phil

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hosta_freak, my Abba Dabba do was probably from a 1 gallon pot if that helps :) I think I'm lucky climatewise as well, we get lots of rain, cool winters, few hot summer days. Oh, and the acidic soil helps too I'm sure.

anniegolden - the green grass is Hakone, japanese forest grass. That particular variety is Beni Kaze. I LOVE Japanese forest grass! Likes shade, very well behaved, beautiful mounding shape, long lived, doesn't need dividing, wonderful in the wind, nice fall color, cute hay appearance in winter. I also have Aureola, which is the most common yellow variegated variety, Nicolas which is a smaller variety than Beni Kaze but has outstanding fall color, and All Gold which is a nice chartreuse. I tried growing Fubuki, a white variegated version, but it melted away completely in two years and I would be hesitant to try it again. It's a slow perennial so if you have the cash it's nice to get a larger size, like maybe a gallon pot of it.

The Heuchera is Binoche of which I have written down:
    "Heuchera villosa 'Binoche' a seedling from Frosted Violet with the same vigor and large growth, large smokey black pubescent leaves are cupped shaped and heavily ruffled, creamy white flowers, heat and humidity tolerant Height:12-15 Inches H. 40cm x W. 40cm "

I found it was a little too exuberant and leggy for my smalls and minis but looks nice with mediums and larges.