wfe did a number on e rain barrel..before and after pics

steeltowninwv
9 years ago

this was the rain barrel before..

.I added a better overflow and she did the painting

Comments (9)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I LOVE it! Wish I had a rain barrel....wish we had rain. Only about 3" this whole last year.

-Babka

• jadie88
    9 years ago

My 4 year old daughter is browsing the form with me, and when she saw your rain barrel she got so excited to take a paintbrush to ours as well. :) hmmm...

Babka, of course I've heard of the drought conditions through so much of the west, but hearing "3 inches this whole year" really drives it home. Wow. I hear some are predicting an El Niño year?

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Looks great! Your wife is very talented! Thanks for sharing. I too would like a rain barrel but I wouldn't catch much rain in summer either.

Linda

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Rain barrel looks great, but someone stole your Guacamole!!!

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Your wife did a fine job on the barrel!

We have the rain alright, and a rain barrel. It isn't hooked up and doesn't have such a great overflow. I want it simple and straightforward like yours, not over engineered like my DH tends to do. Built like a bomb shelter is not my thinking, you know. I'm afraid to mention it to him, so there it sits.

Several times this spring we got more than 5-8 inches of rain....once it was 3 inches an hour if I recall. So the barrel would fill up and overflow quite often. BUT, before next spring for sure I'll have it operating. I bought two when we had a very dry summer in 2012, and after that we had no drought. So there they sit.

• User
    9 years ago

Well drats. I see that Flickr has messed with something and it is not what I like to see. Let me try that again.

• steeltowninwv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got lucky when I installed it....got a heavy rain and it filled up in one night....but I didn't like the way the overflow worked...so I modified it some...so in turn I had to drain the rain barrel...so now its empty again...we get a good bit of rain here..but sometimes get dry spells ..this is why I wanted the barrel...we have well water so like to conserve when it gets dry....I have since bought another plain barrel...I will have it up and running soon...120 gallons of water will sure help the hostas when it gets dry..

• irawon
    9 years ago

Steeltown,

I was almost afraid to look...I like it.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

If I had a rain barrel and painted it in a decorative manner, either the nasty co-op manager would complain it had pointy parts which were dangerous, the Chinese neighbor would stick pinwheels on it, or someone would steal it outright.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area