Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slr8

question about heuchera

slr8
15 years ago

I know that many of you must be planting heuchera with your hosta. I wondered if some of you wouldn't mind posting some pictures of your gardens with the heuchera as special interest so that I can get some ideas. I love the varying colours and textures and before I start just buying what I like, I would prefer to see your gardens with colour contrast. Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)

• Janice
    15 years ago

I'd be glad to share some pics. of my combos! I love Heuchera with Hosta!!! Here are a few examples of how I've put them together in my garden:

• Janice
    15 years ago

I should add, that my favorites are 'Obsidian' (almost black plum), 'Plum Pudding' and 'Amethyst Mist', oh and 'Can Can'!!

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, that is beautiful. That is exactly what I am picturing. I love the dark purples. I think I would love to add some of the Key Lime Pie and the pink heucheras too. I love the lamium with it...it would be a great ground cover. Definitely going to try that too. Thanks so much.

• Janice
    15 years ago

'Key Lime Pie' (don't have it---yet) would be beautiful with those dark purples--good idea!!! A
    nd, I do love the Laminum with hosta, as well!

BTW--haven't seen you posting before--or I'm not very observant---whichever--I must say, WELCOME!!!
    Hope to see you become a regular!!

• paul_in_mn
    15 years ago

Silver Scrolls
    {{gwi:1045125}}

Closer - different color leaves as mature
    {{gwi:1045126}}

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Here is an "overhead" view of part of my garden,showing Heuchera Citronelle,on the left,and Caramel on the right. Hope you can see this well. Phil
    {{gwi:1045127}}

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

What beautiful,beautiful pictures, all of them!
    I really like your combo hey j-
    I love seeing every one's ideas,and their gardens.
    Carol

• Janice
    15 years ago

I was working in my garden and spotted a couple other groupings you might be interested in seeing!

This one is 'Heuchera Spotlight' next to 'Hosta Fragrant Blue':

And this is a group with 'Heuchera CanCan' (needs dividing--normally every layer of leaves come up a different shade of pink and green)
    in the front and probably 'Plum Pudding' in the back:

And---I love 'Pulmonaria/Lungwort' and fern with hosta, too:

But, you probably already have these in your garden--I just really liked this pic, after I saw it!! :o)

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Janice,what is the little spotted dude next to the Japanese fern? Neato,what ever it is! BTW,nice garden groupings! Phil

• Janice
    15 years ago

Phil--that's a Pulmonaria!! I LOVE those, too!!!! There are several different looks, and in the photo below (bottom center)
    is an example of a more slender-leaved version! They have some that are
    very silvery all over (can't think of the name) that I think would be lovely with 'Hiacynthia' and any all dark green hosta!!

I'm glad you like my groupings Phil--I have no idea what I am doing--I just throw stuff together and hope for the best look
    possible--for an amateur to pull off! LOL

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the welcome. I usually have discussions in the junk garden forum (not that I have much of that kind of thing in my garden but did make one totem and four mushrooms but as to everything else, it just won't go in my garden...we are trying to build more of an English Garden style)

Everyone's gardens are super nice!!! I don't have really much in the garden that will house my hosta and heuchera favourites. I only have four hosta (that my Mother-in-Law gave me) and four heuchera that I bought really cheap (they are super small) yesterday called Purple Palace and Eco-magnifolia. I had a lungwort but it died during a transplant. I should get another one of those. I also included a cushion spurge because I love the texture and colour. I absolutely love the varieties of hosta and heuchera you all have. I want my garden to look like that by the end of next season. We have been planting up a storm this year (brand new garden of yellows and pinks, another butterfly garden and along the house). So the fourth garden of the year, where cedars were planted, has to just wait until sales or next season. Too bad though. But it gives me something to look forward to. I will try to find many varieties of heuchera and hosta like you all have. I will save the pics in my garden journal. I will keep in touch!

Any more pics by any chance???

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

Don't forget Snow Angel and the newest Lime Rickey-two of my favorites!

Becky

• Janice
    15 years ago

Becky--I had both of those---the first didn't make it through the first winter and the second one, 'Lime Ricky'
    (loved it) made it through two but not this last one!! I've heard it can be finicky!!! You obviously have *the touch*! :o)

Janice

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

It's easy to kill heuchera with too much kindness. I killed my Amber Waves which I really loved, with too much water. Last year I completely left it alone to survive with the elements and it did fine. That will teach me.

Lainey

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just bought Snow Angel, but it didn't have a name with it. It is really pretty. I love all of your heucheras and hosta. Thanks for sharing your pictures with a newbie!!!