RE: Climbing Hydrandgea

beautiful, show us more.

o

New to me..

Wife loves hydrangeas...

o

Geez, reminds me of the climbing hydrangea I saw on a chimney as I was driving in Boston traffic, and nearly ran off the road--it was all over that house!!

So I got one and planted it at DH's house near Boston, way away on an arbor at the back of the property. This year it is about 10 feet tall and I'll have to ask DH if it shows signs of blooming.

Did you climb up it to spray for the bugs? :)

o

LOVE these!!! Are they slow growers?

o

Wouldn't be without mine. Yes, they are slow growers. This is on the north side of my house and it was 3-4 feet when planted 10 years ago.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a good year for blooms.

tj

o

Can Hydrangeas be transplanted easily? I planted one at my house about 5-6 years ago and it hasn't done very much. I would like to move it here to my current home and it would probably be happier here (better soil).
ps. still own the previous house so this post makes sense - lol!

o

That climbing hydrangea is quite fabulous. Perhaps I'll try again. Is it self supporting or is there a trellis under there, or does the Boston Ivy help to support it?
Jan

o

Thanks, Jan. Although I used the ivy initially to point the hydrangea in the right direction, it is quite self supporting. Even more so than the ivy itself.

tj

o

The clematis on one side of my bird house apartments steals the show from the climbing hyfrangea on the other side until the flowers fade.
Photobucket

Then the hydrangea takes over.
Photobucket

It is about 5 years old, but shows no sign of getting blooms yet. How long does it take?

I will have to decide soon whether to rip some of it out or sacrifice the Japanese Juniper on the hill.
Photobucket

Jon

o

I think it took at least 6 years to bloom. I did not climb up to spray the bugz last year. First I don't like chemicals ('cept slug poison), and lastly, ours is about 40' up the trees ;-)

hh

o

What kind of bugs bother climbing hydrangea? Do people generally have to spray them?
Jan

o

I fergit the name of the bugz, but I'd taken one into the MSU Extension office and they id'd it. When they tol me what I'd hafta hit em with, I passed, since they also said that bug goes in cycles and would be no problem the next year or so.

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here