Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_opal

Rock Off topic

esther_opal
15 years ago

This is a new area we are cleaning up and exposing the native rock.

First photo with Patsy to show scale.

Comments (29)

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I mentioned earlier that we had to drag this rock into this spot because the tractor wouldn't lift it. It apparently was dragged over the little Patriot that has grown out from under it.

• greenguy
    15 years ago

i really like rocks
    they rock

ok that was a bad one i know

Here are a few of the rocks i picked up and put in my backyard
    the tall grass is arundo donax it grows to about 18' every year
    the tall rock is about 5'

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

I have one that is probably at least that big,if not bigger. Mine is down at the bottom of my property,so it's going to stay there! I learned my lesson years ago about rocks. I was digging a hole for a post,and it had to be right there. Well,it was like an iceberg. The more I dug,the bigger it got. I finally got it out,but it was too big to lift,so I undercut it and dragged it downhill. It is now part of the landscape. I estimate it's weight to be 200 lbs. +. Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Now THOSE are the kinds of things I would like to see come out from under a rock!

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gtreenguy, those are wonderful rocks, personal opinion but I can't landscape without considering rocks.

Now, don't take offense but the Japanese say to bury rocks. Here is a photo of one of mine just sitting on top of the soil I don't think it looks good, can't change it now because we can't get the tractor in there now, it is about the size of yours for scale. If I had it to do over it would be buried at least 6".

After you look at this photo start looking at landscapes you see, particularly at commercial landscape jobs like fast food restaurants where they just sit the rocks on top of the ground.

After you see the one I placed on top of the ground then go back to photo of the big rock God put there, it seems to grow there. I went to a lot of work to place the steps to make them look like they are a real rock outcrop and then the large rock sitting on top of ground.

Understand I preach a better sermon than I live. Having said all this now I have to go plant something around that stone to hide the fact I sat it on top of the ground, should have just kept my mouth shut.

{{gwi:284860}}

• aahostas
    15 years ago

Butch,
    I am surprised that you didn't think of aggravating your wife so she would throw that big old rock at you! Why do I have to think of everything ?? LOL!
    Denny

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's right she's da man
    She's bad
    I do all the talking, she does all the work.

Before you make fun of my wife remember she is running to take over the world. As her campaign manager it fell to me to develop the campaign slogan.

CASTRATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

Take my wife for example, I mean just take her!

When I married Miss Right how was I to know her first name was always?

Never will forget the first meal she lovingly prepared, attempting to express interest I inquired; "What is this?" She smiled that gorgeous smile and told me "to eat it if I didnÂt want to wear it"!

• playinmud
    15 years ago

LOL, Butch you are a hoot! Your poor wife! She must be a good sport. You both enjoy gardening, a match made in Heaven.

I love the rocks, wish I had a few here, we've only got red shale. Looking forward to seeing how your clean up turns out. Will you add plantings to the area as well?

Donna

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There is always more to clean than I do, I don't really have the clean gene but I admire it when I see it. I just came in from a little, very little weed pulling and planning the thing I do best.

Did you see the misty day thread, that was one well groomed place. If you go back look at the home across the street, clean but uninspiring to me. All squared up, one of each tree and shrub on either side of the house, clean and neat though.

Here is a photo that you must admire the hard work but it would drive "me" crazy, I would go throw a limb in the middle of it.
    The second suits "MY" taste better.
    Then mine that doesn't suit me either, I want it to look like nature did it, BTW I'm not doing it over. It isnÂt dry but you can see it misses natural.

{{gwi:315023}}

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Butch,if that last pic is yours,that looks great! I could probably do that to my property,because I have a small creek on the property. That is,I COULD do that if I wanted to cut all the underbrush,dig out the creek,and far more work than this old man could do, alone!! Plus it goes downhill very fast! I think I'll pass! Phil

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The last one is mine, the first is a public garden I think, the second is Skaggs I think.

• Janice
    15 years ago

I'm more the 'natural' gal, myself! Love how it looks in the wild--much better than the sterile look of the first pic.
    or the man-made look of the second!! JMO

I suspect, that your 'Patsy' is a very patient woman! She quilts, afterall, and my mother always said it was 'therapy' for her! ;o)

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Patsy is surely a saint, beautiful, kind, smart, funny, built like brick outhouse, belly dancer, makes a small fortune.

What else do you want me to tell them.

Right darlin, I'll tell them, talented as well and has great taste in men. I added the last part while she was walking away.

Ok, I'll send another photo of you but no more quilt photos.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I have rock envy! I would love to have that sort of natural architecture in my garden, but alas my house was built on an old corn field.....

Someday I will have great natural structure like that

Lovely photos everyone

Alexa

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alexa, that water feature was built on a flat slope with 40tons of dirt, not as expensive as you might think, the expensive part was renting the Bobcat.

Point being one can create mounds, hills etc and much can be done to create height with plant placement.

I don't easily accept my condition until I've considered how to change then of course how much money and work.

In the end we are on special ground in a special place.

AND, Alexa I've seen your photos, you ain't doing half bad on that corn field.

• iowa_flower_nut
    15 years ago

To be honest, of those three pics you posted, the tidy public garden would make me want to walk through watching every step I take. The second pic is nice but yours looks like a place that I would spend the whole afternoon wandering in a nice relaxing way. That's what a garden is all about. Yours gets my vote! : )

• inlimbo
    15 years ago

EO - love your rolling land and those terrific rocks -

What state are you in and how much land do you have?

I'm in CT, where rocks and rolling hills live -

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What state are you in and how much land do you have?
    inlimbo

Southern Indiana, we have 2 main deposits limstone and sandstone sort of one on top of the other. Above our cave is sandstone called Indiana brown for those who sell stone then below where the cave begins is limestone. We prefer the brown sandstone.

I visited CT and saw the grandest rock possible, went by one stream with large rock sitting in the fairly wide but shallow stream. I tried to place stone in my stream exactly like that mental photo on a small scale. Well not so much?

I didn't want this to be any sort of contest just showing different types of landscapes with stones. The first 2 were to precise for me but that is only my taste.

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I embarrassed myself ranting about my large stone sitting on top of the ground so planted sedum around it that grows about 4" tall, hopefully that will help plant it.

What I've read about Japanese theory is planting around a rock placed on top of the ground will not conceal the fact that it is sitting on top of the soil. Maybe in a year or 2 we'll revisit my sedum planting.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    15 years ago

I love using rocks. It was a much smaller scale, but i was really pleased with the way sedum helped the rocks blend in.

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The first is what we call "Mt Ragmore" the small arrangement of a classic Japanese design with the temple stone in the rear with sentries on each side and the kneeling stone in front. The 1st one is 6-7ft tall the second is about 2ft tall. I think smaller scale is just as attractive although it doesn't get the "Wow" a big placement does. A diamond is just a small shiny stone, all in one's perspective.

{{gwi:1045321}}

• donrawson
    15 years ago

Butch,
    Ditto about your wife...a wonderful lady!
    No doubt about it, I have rocks in my head too. Showing me those big boulders just made me green with envy. So I'll show you some of mine... Don

{{gwi:939334}}

{{gwi:940773}}

Flamingo quartz from Colorado (3000#)
    {{gwi:940763}}

Canadian mountain green boulder I gave to Van Wade (#1100)
    {{gwi:1045323}}

Michigan fieldstone
    {{gwi:940767}}

{{gwi:1045324}}

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW, those are some rocks!

The stone walk up to the bench is just perfect for my taste.

How did you get all of those?

I'm assuming you placed that field of stone but it is so well done I can't tell if you did it or if the glaciers left them there? GREAT!

I just can't landscape without rock, like hosta I never have enough. I find myself trying to jump inside a rock like the Canadian or Colorado, wondering what all has happened during their life. Near our home is a grinding stone that was used to grind beechnut by the IndianÂs and we found a pistil in our cave that would probably have been used to grind on that stone. The stone finally has little bowls formed from the years or centuries of use.

I want something like yours, but IÂm forcing myself to stay with indigenous rock to this area. In fact if I post a photo that doesnÂt ring true I would hope someone would be kind enough to point it out and why?

• lynxe
    15 years ago

I'd be hard pressed to have to choose between the one EO's working on, in the first pic, and that amazing piece of Michigan fieldstone.

For you guys who like dry streambeds and fields of stone, here's a place you must visit, at least through pictures if not in person. (I randomly chose two web sites that looked interesting, but there are many more, including youtube videos):

http://www.davidhanauer.com/buckscounty/ringingrocks/

http://lrichters.smugmug.com/gallery/1426687_7xq6T/1/67686502_Kn2bT/Medium

I've been quite a few times. It's a fantastic place. You can walk the entire field down to the river. I just realized that I'm going up there tomorrow, to the very road the park entrance is on, to pick up a trellis. Maybe I'll take a trip to the park - with my hammer of course. :)

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to one site in Bucks County and that is how I want to arrange rock, well not so much.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

EO - if youever wander into eastern PA again, this is a "must see" IMHO.....talk about a "rock garden"! Lynxe - have you been here before? I will be going up with a friend of mine in a couple of weeks and will try to get some good photos of my own.

Here is a link that might be useful: Megalith park

• sheilafri
    15 years ago

My brother-in-law has a rock in his yard. I have a focal point. This was pointed out to me by my son who thinks I have too many hostas--the little heathen!

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tks Caliloo, looks like a bridge, regardless it is grand. I have Celtic blood way up in my veins. Celtic music and I want to dance around a large stone drink a little heather wine and do something!

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I like the one that looks like an enormous table, I would LOVE to have one of those in my garden! As far as the Celtic music, that is what we are going for - the Summer Solstice celebration - and I could certianly be talked into a bit of heather wine LOL!

Like I said, I will try to get some photos when we go up....

Alexa