Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lutescent Beckoning

Posted by lavendargrrl 7b Apex, NC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 22:08

You may recall that this was a NOID earlier in the season for me. The leaves were somewhat a blue-green shade and had some very faint areas that were starting to get lighter. Now, we've had a lot of really hot weather and some leaves are almost solid yellow. I think I got this as a 1st year tissue culture and it was very tiny at that time. I planted it at the front edge of my hosta bed, and now it's rather large and needs to be relocated. Maybe next spring! I did make some progress pulling weeds in this second half of my big hosta bed on Saturday, but unfortunately this pic was taken before that work. Now I must get some mulch down!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lutescent Beckoning

Angie. Are you saying your NOID is identified as Beckoning?
Or are you still looking for the ID?

Lovely hosta with my favorite variegation. It looks like in shade it would lose the yellow and wind up with a spotty shade of dark green/blue. Pretty hosta.

No ideas if you are looking for suggestions.

o

Hi mocc, I am certain of the ID on this one now. It is definitely Beckoning. Earlier this year I did not know the name of the hosta. I had posted asking for help with ID. You can see in this additional picture the coloring of the hosta before it got too hot. That is one of the pictures I posted to get help with an ID. This one is lutescent, which means it gets lighter as the temperatures rise. It is caused by one or more genes and how they react to rise in temp.

o

So, do you think you have a problem are just showing your plant? I missed something.

bk

o

Definitely Beckoning. It's seasonal coloring is coming along really well. Very pretty! :)

o

It is so nice when a plant behaves precisely as it should. It is one of the things I love about hosta.....they may look the same as other hosta for a while, but hang on and it will reveal itself to you. We just have to be observant.

I find Beckoning intriguing. So glad you found its secret ID.
I'm pleased you let us know the "rest of the story."

o

bk, no problem at all - just sharing an updated pic. That's exactly what should be happening with the color change :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here