Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

two new minis & let me see your Alex Summers

My DH went to Barrie, ON for work today and stopped at Hosta Fever and surprised me with Ruffled Mouse Ears and Pure Heart :)

Yesterday I picked up Alex Summers, I would like to see what it looks like in a couple of years. It is described as being exceptional.

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

This is my Alex Summers from Last year and think this was it was purchased 2012. This is a 2013 picture and will take one from this season for you. It has grown to be a beauty this season and has 9 shoots this year. You will be very happy with this purchase. What a lucky girl to have your husband pick up two hosta for you. Mine would bring me a new shovel or maybe a quart of oil for my lawn mower.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

this year's picture of Alex Summers

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

AS a couple weeks ago. It has unfurled even more since then. One of my favs. You will be pleased.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Alex Summers was my very favorite hosta in 2013 (the blue is Canadian Blue, which I think really compliments it):

Steve

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

I agree. Alex Summers is a great plant. One thing I like about it is it upright quality.

For anyone who doesn't know my garden use to be a typical English perennial garden. Eventually I realized I had too much shade so over time I added and got hooked on hostas. I left the plants and bushes that were doing ok and did small areas of improvement at a time. This year one spot I concentrated on was where Alex Summers lives. It is behind a rose and the Green Gables which is huge. You had to consciously go near it to see how great it was. I cleaned out overgrown, non-blooming perennials and defined a little path. Now this great plant can be seen from looking over the wall while standing on the driveway and even from the couch in the living room looking up past the birdbath and large garden.

• esox48
    9 years ago

Alex Summers is a great hosta. This is one I had in a pot a few years ago. I have two in the ground now, but they aren't unfurled and showing good color yet.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Leave plenty of room for Alex Summers. I grow mine in the sun. This one had nine leaves when I planted it in the fall of 2010. The green on the edges will eventually turn to yellow and the blue will turn to a grey/blue/green.

Gesila

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone! Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pics, I appreciate it. Certainly appears as though I chose a goodie.
    My garden has always been an English perennial garden, too but this 'new' house (5 years now) has too much shade, so like you Mctavish, I have been switching over.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Paula, I was there (HF) to pick up the rest of my order today and added Electrocution to my order, plus a replacement Cherish. Went to pick up 5, came home with 7! then tore for home before I succumbed even more! With 28 or so less trees, the hosta are getting more light and the place literally glows! It is so beautiful to visit there. Your husband must be the "well-dressed gentleman" Cindy referred to when I mentioned one of our forum members' husband just bought her a couple of minis. :-)

I don't have an Alex Summers yet but it was one I was curious about in a thread last year.

• ohcindy
    9 years ago

Ha Ha I need to chime in....Cindy here from Hosta Fever.Your DH snuck in on me and all of a sudden this man was coming up from the woods all dressed up...I thought man where did you come from :) I hope your happy with the hostas, and you like your new hat !

• ohcindy
    9 years ago

Ha Ha I need to chime in....Cindy here from Hosta Fever.Your DH snuck in on me and all of a sudden this man was coming up from the woods all dressed up...I thought man where did you come from :) I hope your happy with the hostas, and you like your new hat !

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sent him for 3 hostas and he came home with 2 that I didn't ask for! Certainly better than empty handed; it was a nice surprise :)

Thanks for the hat Cindy.

Josephine, I bought Electrocution this year, too, it is very eye catching.

evermore, I really like the colour combination - imitation is the highest form of flattery :)

9 years ago

Your third plant (that your DH did not bring home) is still there, reserved for you. It is a beauty! Hope you get to bring it home soon to enjoy! :-)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cindy asked me if I still wanted it and I said that I did but I didn't realize that she had reserved it for me :) I think I will have to do my first mail order.
    Thanks for the heads up.

9 years ago

It is THE star and in a holding area.. I said I'd buy it if you changed your mind, lol! It really is so pretty ...should have taken a pic.

Have a great week-end!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josephine, I will have to email her straight away after such a glowing report!

• User
    9 years ago

First time I saw this thread and it was already on page 2. Wow. The forum is in high gear!

I got Alex Summers as a gift hosta from Hallsons in 2012 and it is a beauty. Flickr is down for the time being so here it is from my computer taken this year on May 11th

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

I bought this hosta as Alex Summers a few years ago, It doesn't look anything like any of the pics of it above, in fact it looks more like Liberty, Ivory Coast, Majesty, well one of the Sagae sports. Would you agree?

Photo taken May 15.

Denis

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Yep Mountainy, that's not Alex Summers, it's a Sagae sport.

Gesila

9 years ago

Thanks Gesila, I never gave it a thought till I saw all the Alex Summers on this thread and figured that mine is not like that lol.
    I have Ivory Coast and Liberty but they are small yet, I will have to wait till they grow up a bit to compare them.

Must get an Alex summers, well I have the marker lol, it would be terrible to waste it!

Thanks

Denis

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are beautiful! Can someone give me the dimensions of a mature one grown in morning sun until 11 and then sun again after 6pm? approx.

Thanks

• User
    9 years ago

I'm laughing here, Denis, a marker is the best reason to get another hosta I ever heard. A shame to waste it? hehehehe

9 years ago

Mocc, we don't need many excuses to buy more hostas but I would have to go to the effort of peeling the name off the marker n' all..... its easier this way lol, don't laugh I'm sure you are just as bad ;-)

Denis

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I completely understand :)

I have bought 6 more in the last week.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville