Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_opal

Crowns under water

esther_opal
15 years ago

I've posted about growing bareroot hosta in my water feature stream.

This photo shows a plant that was growing from under the rock I used to anchor it.

When I removed the stone I found crowns under water and growing fine.

Don't let this start an old wives tale, I have several that have been growing this way

for 2-3 years but it may only work in moving water that is highly oxygenated.

BTW, there are several varieties growing in this way.

Comments (7)

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

Nice roots there, EO. I suspect the high oxygen levels, as you point out, do play a big part in your success.

Did you place the crowns under water, or did the plant put out new crowns that happened to be underwater?
    Curious minds want to know.

Lainey

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The plants were originally placed with only the roots in the water, the plant put the crown under water on its own. Never know what you kids are doing when your back is turned.

Further reading below

Here is a link that might be useful: hosta in stream

• aahostas
    15 years ago

Botanybabe,
    I was at E.O.s place and witnessed these Hostas under water with my own two eyes! They were growing like crazy with no soil and their crowns were submerged and actually under a rock! I am still amazed as I was always led to believe that a submerged crown was a dead one in a short time but I must admit that E.O. has changed my mind about this completely! He gave me a big beautiful 'Abba Showtime' that had been submerged for quite some time. When I planted it back in to soil it showed no signs of wilt or regression. I think E. O. is on to something and if we could just get him to work a little harder we may be amazed at the results of his findings!LOL!

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Had to try more, this is a ventricosa seedling that I bare rooted and stuck crown and roots of course under water.

That Snow Cap does grow so well but these little boogers grow like weeds so we'll have to growth habits to compare assuming they live.

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Observation I take from this and EO's experiments - is that hostas if stressed and provided with moist conditions seem to force multiple new eyes readily."
    Paul

Paul, thank you for the report, I'm trying to gather a body of knowledge on all this and any results good bad or indifferent helps.

Your results fitÂs everything I'm observing. BIG BUTT the stress part doesn't seem to be a prerequisite, regardless of stressed or no stress new eyes are appearing.
    Trying to keep it simple is not easy because everything that happens to and within a plant is related.

Paul if you saw the test on "Fairy Rings" seems to be related to softening the old eyes with the moisture from the mulch placed inside the ring.
    Now to the emergence of the new eyes, a lot of water as I'm using in most of this work will allow new eyes to appear more easily.
    This is an interim conclusion that I canÂt figure how to demonstrate or prove, BIG BUTT it does explain what we are seeing.

Snow Cap that had all the old eyes from previous years placed in the stream and it makes about 8-10 eyes along these old eyes that are years old.

Here is the photo of the H.'Lyman' that all the foliage had died, then placed in the stream and it makes 4 new eyes almost immediately.

Here is a photo taken today of a single division ventricosa potted in potting soil with water covering the crown constantly making new eyes like crazy.
    Look carefully and you can see the original eye putting up new growth also.

For more see below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pauls results

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

I'm doing an experiment with a bunch of divisions of Emerald Tiara. Got them in a bucket of water with an aquarium stone to provide an aerated situation. Some have crowns underwater, some with crowns above water. They've only been there about ten days, but I'll let you know how they do. Tomorrow I add water and a cup of compost leachings.

Lainey

Lainey

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tomorrow I add water and a cup of compost leachings.
    Lainey

I think I told you about or showed you my "peterlizer" setup that has shown good growth. I'll try to get photos of the project tomorrow.

BIG BUTT use some caution, when I first started I increased the strength slowly but reached a point of over doing it without air. I do think you will be able to use more, in fact I think you will be able to push the growth?

You would be able to run compost tea, peterlizer or AACT into the bog.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio