Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steeltowninwv

anybody ever use these as hosta containers?

steeltowninwv
9 years ago

just was thinking these would be inexpensive and have good drainage...and actually look nice as well...any cons to using them?

Comments (9)

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

It looks nice but the Bottom would probably rot out in a year. Maybe two to three if you kept them off the ground.

Margaret

• User
    9 years ago

I like the idea of them because they look "natural."
    Like MStrecke says though, with the regular watering and such hosta require, they won't last long.

If you have a cheap source of used ones, I think they could be quite attractive for display. Use the black nursery pots inside this and it would serve to keep the sun off a black pot. Bushel baskets are pretty big and could take a very large pot. To get the whole plant above the rim, it might need to sit on something.

Perhaps you could place several smaller pots inside one of these. Until it rots on the bottom you could use the bail to move pots around. When you have a lot of pots, that becomes a consideration. :)

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Love the looks of these baskets so I googled it for Canada and there is a place in Calgary and Winnipeg that sells them for $6 to $8 depending on size Very reasonable and Like Moc said if you put a plastic pot inside and elevate it off the ground a bit with platform It would last a lot longer. Love the looks

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

You could always paint them with deck preservative, then put the plastic pots in. They might last a little longer.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Great idea! If they lasted 3-4 years, that would be good enough for me. I like the way they look, as I pretty much only like natural stuff in my garden/yard.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

What a terrific idea. Those will look wonderful. If you can get them cheaply, I wouldn't worry about having the bottom rot out. The idea of a plastic pot is a good one though.

• steeltowninwv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

about 4 bucks around here..i think I will grab a few and see how they workout

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you can buy a lot of plastic pot for $4 ... and it will last decades ...

but .... and there is always one around... nothing new was ever discovered.. by NOT trying... keep us posted ..

i would probably put a small patio stone under it.. to allow it to drain and dry ...

i doubt it would last long in snow country ....

ken

• w3csx
    9 years ago

I use to grow Mums in this kind of basket. I have to say from experience they will not last a whole year. We would pot them up mid June with three cuttings per pot. But come October just as the mums are dying back the pots are done too. They sold well do to the rustic fall feel the pots added. But it was considered as expendable as the mum growing in it. The big issue being the wood is so thin. It takes little time for moisture to start to rotting it away. We would grow the mums like this up on wire benches instead of the ground. Specifically to allow excess water to drain off and away.

If you planted the Hosta in nursery pots and set them down in the basket. Using a dish under the pot. You should be able to prolong their useful life. But keep the basket dry as best as possible.

Jason

This post was edited by W3CSX on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 22:25