Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr66

Hosta "Atlantis"

jimr66
9 years ago

A really great plant. It's super vigorous, sun tolerant, and beautiful.

The downside (if you can call it that) is that it gets very large in a couple of years.

This is a 2nd year plant (in my garden) It was decent sized when I got it last year.

Comments (19)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Very nice plant, Jim. I love Atlantis. Nope, wouldn't call it's super growth a downside, either. : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    9 years ago

I _LOVE_ Atlantis. Purchased a few fairly small ones in 3-4 inch pots maybe 3-4 years ago, and the SMALLEST one is here in quite a bit of sun, next to a fairly large Sum & Subst. Very flashy and it grew amazingly quickly for me (not all of them do!!). So here's a pict....

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Windchime....are you new or just coming back? Both those hosta are beautiful and Atlantis seems ready to take on any of the big guys. That is a knockout. With scapes already? Taken this year?

Glad to meet you. Hope you come back often with lots of pictures to share. We share our successes and our failures, so don't hold back. Information is a valuable resource.

• LRB3
    9 years ago

Atlantis is one of my favorites.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I know I said I wouldn't be back until next year,but I feel I must comment on all your beautiful Atlantises! I think I should I have planted mine in more sun,and I may even get another one,to do just that. Here is a pic of mine from this year. It grows very differently than ya'lls! Mine is very tall,with huge,but few leaves ,(maybe three eyes). Phil

{{gwi:983475}}

• hostanista
    9 years ago

I'm so glad I bagged an Atlantis at the $5 hosta sale in the area last week! There were only 2 available and I stood my ground in front of them until the bell rang. I grabbed it and ran! It's beautiful and I'm happy to see that it's a fast grower too. Good for you, Atlantis!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Phil, that is a beauty and a great pic of it. Uh oh, I think it's on the list already, now it will have two stars beside it! Third star gets a buy ;-)

LRB - I really love your staging in that area. The contrasts are really lovely to me. Atlantis is a beauty all around.

Windchime, I like that caramel tint on yours.

Don, look at it go! I remember you getting it last year - glad you have lots of room in your garden...next year will even be more exciting judging by the growth!

Jim, you really have a good eye when placing certain colours together and I'm enjoying your pictures...I probably said that already. Lots of inspiration in these photos! :-)

Jo

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I agree that Atlantis is a very lovely hosta. I also find that it is a fast grower. I have had to plant it in the garden rather than keep it in a pot (where a majority of my plants are).

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Love your photos everyone! There is something about the leaf shape and texture of Atlantis and Abba Dabba Do, with those prominent veins, that I am SO drawn to. Just a perfect tropical leaf shape.

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Love my Atlantis!

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

great pics every one.

It's interesting to see the different forms that hostas can take depending on the amount of sun received.

We're getting POUNDED by a huge thunderstorm right now,

I'm praying there is no hail coming.

The clouds were rotating right over the house.

Here is the plant right after I got it. last july

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Wow, every single one of these specimens is gorgeous! Great pics, All. Beautiful plant.

• luckyladyslipper
    9 years ago

I'm not sure when I bought my 'Atlantis,' probably 2010 or 2011, but it's getting fairly large - 56" wide and 28" high. Having seen others' photos, I wish I had given mine some companions, although I put her off by herself because I figured she'd be a space-hog.

This post was edited by luckyladyslipper on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 14:13

• User
    9 years ago

I'm not saying it's on the LIST, but it is outstanding.
    NHL, I'll keep your experience in mind about putting it in the ground. After my tall latticed screen goes in, there will be room for a raised in-ground bed about 30 feet long and of irregular depth where such a plant could be happy.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I like mine, its in its second year..but has quite frankly been a slow grower for me considering the size it was when I got it.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Jo, trust me, just put a third star next to it and get one. ; )

Don B.

• jimr66
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is a good grower.

It was also almost completely strangled in tree roots about 2 years after this pic.

It didn't really take off untill I moved it to its current location.

I couldn't recommend a plant more highly

• djacob68z5sewi
    4 years ago

Hosta_freak.....your photo of Atlantis never posted. Would love to see your’s as well.

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz