Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Rain at last ! A cool walk in the garden helped my attitude :)

leafwatcher
11 years ago

I have been painting an old truck, at a friends shop.. When it broke out the sprinkles, then rained solid for an hour or two I was so relieved. Both the Hosta gardener, and the farmers have been desperate for a good drink of rain water in the soil.

I came home tired and dirty from my project.. but walked slowly along the line to see the plants reaching out, trying to grab every drop they could.

The chill water on my head and clothes felt like heaven.. I think I know how the plants feel now...

Comments (9)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Wonderful feeling. THAT's what plants are for...making you feel good. They do that for me too...and I've had some BIG catastrophies happen in my life, but the hostas are still there. Gets your head on straight. Good.

-Babka

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Leafwatcher, we also had a very nice rain. .80 inches yesterday and has been raining gently for about two hrs!

Hostas are looking much happier than they were Thursday afternoon when it was hot and windy.

Water on your head, where was your Fedora?

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

They don't call it 'right as rain' for nuttin'! Glad you could get some.Today,we finally got a sunny day,after many days of showers every afternoon,and it was nice also. Phil

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trudy I was to dirty for the hat ! and we managed to squeeze nearly two inches of rain out of those clouds..

I am glad it made it over to your area..

I hope it doesn't wait so long next time...

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Two inches, Leafwatcher! I bet you hostas are loving the moisture.

A few of the larger cracks are now closed up again in the garden.
    You need a garden Fedora :)

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am a man of many hats !

I do have a large straw hat, and a REALLY big hat that is my go to hat if I will be mowing for hours at a time out on my Moms farm.

And yes the Hosta are happy with the rain, we also managed to get a small shower since the initial 2 inches of liquid growth serum .. hahhahah

The Blue Mammoth is hiding in a bank of greens, waiting.. watching, while the Deep Blue Sea is still tied up with the orange tape... I need to go clip it.. but it has been standing so tall and strong I have been afraid it might run away before it makes new friends here :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Yes, we do love rain don't we? A string of rainy days has most people grumbling, especially my students who have to suffer though indoor recess (well, actually it is the teachers suffering :) ), but I am always doing my happy dance!

We have had nice cool weather (70s-80s during day, 50s at night), but they are predicting 100 degree temps by Wednesday. Time to haul out the hose and start preparing. UGH.

Glad for those who had rain! Although we have had some this month, none in our forecast.

• User
    11 years ago

Won't mention our rain here, might make you envious. But I was happy to see a day without it for a chance. Now I can walk around and maybe cut the lawn tomorrow and look civilized again. Always have been fond of a rainy day, the usual or historic weather pattern for summer here was "scattered afternoon thunderstorms," and nothing had to be hand watered. Now we never know what to expect. Feast or famine.

I have one hosta especially that kicked into overdrive with all the rain---Fragrant Dream. It might need a new pot before the season ends. But won't mess with it until after it blooms.

Another few days and we have the longest day of the year, when the sun is at its most northerly point, and the shade under my south shade plants is at a minimum. The hosta scrooched together there are larger than they were when first potted up, and I watch for any communicable diseases in any of them.

Tomorrow after I cut the grass, I figure it will be dry enough to broadcast more slug get-um stuff.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I can not complain of having had no rain. All plants are larger this year, even the roses are blooming profusely. I also like to walk in the rain, especially like to watch my slim but long dry creek awake carrying water. But as cyn writes we also have hot days coming, 94 and 95, before and after 85s. So I will water the whole yard to keep plants growing. Luckily my hostas are mostly in some shade, so they would survive even without watering right now.
    Bernd

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz