Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemayon

Give me all your Jewels!

ConnieMay ON Z6a
10 years ago

Please share pics of Jewel of the Nile.

I have really fallen in love with this plant. It commands attention - it's large, more upright than I expected, tolerates a fair bit of sun and it looks great right up until a hard frost.

If you are shopping for one, select a plant with very few solid coloured leaves (none if possible) because it has a tendency to revert to Dee's Golden Jewel (mama).

My plant was purchased Spring 2011 and is definitely leaping this year. I was a little shocked to find that it now measures 24 inches tall because I was expecting closer to 18 inches - don't know where I got that information... :-)

Comments (13)

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

I don't have it but I think it is going on my wish list! It'll look good with Midwest Magic and Luna Moth, I think!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

My original one is slowly turning into Dee's Golden Jewel. I bought a replacement this year. Not very impressive, of course, but every leaf is well marked, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for better things. I know it's going to sport someday, but it's so pretty, I can't resist it.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

It's a beautiful Hosta, but mine just wouldn't stay variegated. It just goes to full gold. If I had wanted to keep it as JOTN, I would have had to dig it up each year and remove the gold parts. The resulting plant never would increase in size, so I ended up tossing it.

Steve

• Lee
    10 years ago

Here is my JOTN... It has more gold than variegated too now.

• irawon
    10 years ago

I bought my JOTN at the end of summer 2010 It's growing slowly under a pine tree. I keep checking whether it's reverting but so far it hasn't.

• esox48
    10 years ago

Sometimes I rip out a gold eye.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of my Jewel of the Nile. I like it very much. So far it hasn't sported to yellow. I must be odd because I bought Dee's Golden Jewel on purpose. I would like to defend it as a wonderful plant for the sun. The first picture of it below shows what it looks like now. The second shows what it looks like at the end of August with all afternoon and evening sun. Beside it is Iron Gate Glamour and a bleached out Captain Kirk.

• irawon
    10 years ago

I really like Jewel of the Nile but if it starts reverting to Dees Golden Jewel I will let it be. Thanks for posting the pic of DGJ, McT.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Here's my JOTN. I don't remember the year I bought it, probably 2009, and it was a nice sized two eyed division and it seemed to had done well that year. Come the following spring, it looked as if it were stunted. I dug it up to find what looked like some insect had bored little holes in the crown. So I potted it up that summer and planted it in the nursery bed where I kept my baby hostas to grow to size that autumn. It wasn't until last year when it finally began to look like something, still a single eye but it had more size to it. This year it has three eyes and it seems to be doing pretty well in its new home in Michigan.

Karen

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Mine grows under the leaves of a heavy feeder - a giant ornamental rhubarb... as you can see - pretty unruly plant.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I bought mine in 2010 with 2 eyes - this year it had over 12 so I am happy.

{{gwi:1045625}}

Now I don't know whose hosta this is but I saved the picture from about 4 years ago. It was the photo that made me put JOTN on the 'must have' list. So if this pic belongs to anyone here, I hope you don't mind.

{{gwi:1045626}}

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaves look HUGE on your "inspirational" photo Paula. I thought mine was large after 3 years but that one blows me away. I keep saying I don't have room for the hosta's I already have and this is just further proof to curb my buying.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

It is amazing, ins't it? I didn't know about its tendency to revert until this thread, so I have been lucky so far.