Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

dream queen just might make it !

leafwatcher
9 years ago

I have trouble with this plant, I think I have planted three small plants in the same location, and I now have two eyes, well the plant does.....
The rabbits always seem to eat half the leaves off before it comes up as well. Making it look like a paper plate torn in half!

This year however the eyes and leaves are mature.. its starting to look like I stole a big cutting from someone.

Maybe next year the god of eyes will bless me with more, and the rabbits will choke on some twigs or something...

Its always NEXT year !

Comments (16)

• User
    9 years ago

Leaf where is the picture? hmmmmm?

I don't have one to show you because mine flat died on me last year. It dwindled away to nothing. I thought it was lovely but I decided not to replace it. I'm not a masochist.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Dream Queen is always the last to show up. This one is 2 1/2 years old and has been sort of lop-sided (but very nice) as it was maturing. Today, I would say it has hit its stride and become a hosta that matches its name.

Jon

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Yes, leafwatcher, I hope your Dream Queen will get better each year.

This year I waited for my last hosta to emerge---Sagae. And it finally did. Then the same thing happened---rabbits?---chewed the top and sides of the emerging eyes. I was so disappointed. I went and found some wire mesh and enclosed Sagae with it for several days. Perhaps you can do this to next year to your Dream Queen?

I am happy to report that Sagae is doing quite well. It does have some tears and holes, but it is holding its own.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the problem child in question !

• irawon
    9 years ago

Leafwatcher those are really, nice big leaves on your DQ. Hope those rabbits stay away. They don't touch mine... they prefer our neighbour's yummy veggie garden.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

big leaves.. but the petioles look short... why is it so squat????

whats the tree behind???

ken

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Ken,

I think you mean my DQ. It is on a slope and the only way for me to get a picture of it without laying in the wet grass was from on top. The front of the hosta is the high end of the slope. It does give the illusion of squat petioles, but they are normal.

It is gong to be nice and dry this weekend so I can lay on the ground and I think you will see the petioles are normal. The tree behind it is a BIG double White Pine (50 ft. at least)

Jon

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Here is another view showing by a better angle how deep my Dream Queen is planted.

The twin pines are quite big. You can see the Dream Queen at the bottom right of pine.

I really hope you appreciate this shot. It got my back all dirty taking it for you.

There has been an Eastern Red Shouldered Hawk's nest up there for many years, but this season the telltale droppings on my Dream Queen haven't appeared. I have seen hawks flying around but they were too far up to identify if they were the same type or not.

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 9:01

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

What do you think?

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

My Dream Queen had a "failure to launch". I replanted it in Miracle Grow soil in another location. Starting to look Purdy!

{{gwi:1015511}}

DD

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

j:

did you get a scat sample for comparative analysis?

eastern red shoulder is is slightly more acidic than most ...

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Jon- I appreciate you laying in the dirt...that's a great picture!

Linda

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

DD, nice. It looks like it has found a home and will be even better when the leaves get larger as they will.

bragu, no, I suppose that I could use my PH color checker to see, but I have nothing to compare it to and a little acid would be good ....my far bigger question is how do you know the acid content of various hawk droppings?

Thanks Linda, I'm glad somebody appreciates the agony an artist goes through for his craft.

Jon

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Jon, you are cracking me up! The things we do to defend against Ken's critiques. Haha!

Beautiful tree, and beautiful garden! Dream Queen is a favorite of mine. I have two, but I only have a photo of the smaller one on hand. She and Guardian Angel are getting attacked by Bleeding Hearts, which will find a new home this fall!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Thanks Jadie, nice collage there.

That will be the last time I supine myself to answer a question from Ken.

Jon

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With this PERFECT spring for Hosta.. the DREAM QUEEN had definitely gone over the hill and decided to stick around !