Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weekendweeder

How big is your 'Night Before Christmas'?

weekendweeder
10 years ago

The Hosta Library says it gets to about 30", but Hallson lists it as a biggie with the potential to reach 48". Whelp. I hope I don't have to move mine.

Comments (14)

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Mine is around that 30" mark. 7 years old

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phew, ok, that's encouraging. Thanks so much!

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Hmmm... at 40", I'll be blocking the exit!

Gesila

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Oh man, how many times do I have to be dragged out in the rain for pictures. Here is my 2 year old Night Before Christmas . It measures 3 1/2 of my feet (close to one foot). You can see the tip of my sneaker (size 9) in the picture.

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jonnyb, thanks for braving the rain and taking a picture of your lovely NBC. Do I see a third color on your leaves (a lighter green) in between the margins and the centers? It looks great against your mulch.

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

Mine is about 30" too - 4 years in the ground. It got that big really quickly and seems to have stayed there.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Weekendweeder,

I was pretty sure it was tri-color, but went out....again (slight pause in the rain) and definitely

While I was there......

Twilight

Dream Queen unfolding

....and

Paul's Glory about 30 inches across after 2 years.

Jon

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Johnnyb...

Is that tissue collapse I see on that leaf close up?

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Melisa,

The same edge on all the largest leaves are wrinkled up and damaged. It doesn't seem to be collapsed, or bleeding. I think the first leaves up and unfurling where subject to the late very hard freezes which we had plenty of here. This was an 'early riser'.

It is on the same position of each leaf (along each left edge with the stem at the bottom) and only the largest leaves. I have never seen this consistent pattern on any pictures of any disease that I can find. The affected edges are limp. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think it will be fine.

Jon

• User
    10 years ago

Mine was new last October from Wade Gatton Nurseries. It has expanded this spring quite a bit, until it is covering the container. The container is about 12-15 inches across. Since it was about to go dormant last October, I guess this is its first year here, but I say 2nd since it went through a dormancy after arrival. You can get a feel for the size of it with the other hosta of the same order surrounding it. The only really BIG pot in the bunch is for White Knight, but all were field dug by Van Wade. So they have the possibility of achieving mature sizes quicker in my garden.

In the spot where these are located, they get intense late afternoon sun.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Well,not everyone can grow every hosta. Mine has always been puny,and I would not buy another one. Phil

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Phil,

I would think we would have very similar conditions. My NBC gets good sun from 9 to 1 and is planted directly under 2 walnut trees. Have you tried moving the NBC?

Jon

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Mine is still unfurling (no new pic) and its 40 inches across.

Here's what it looked like in 2011 at about 10 years old.

tj

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tj, that is spectacular.

The spot I have now allows for 30" and if it decides to leap into 40" territory, it'll be a first world problem I'd be lucky to have.