Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

You REALLY need this hosta...

Georgia Sweetheart, this one has so impressed me this year.

Pic in May

Leaf closeup at the end of May

Mid-June pic (she gets several hours of afternoon sun)

Closeup of leaf in mid-June

Just a beautiful hosta, I have enjoyed the color change in sun. I'm sure she would be just as beautiful in more shade. This one is a must-have, in my opinion. Here to enable...

Comments (13)

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

WOW - I really should have added that one to my purchases when I was at PDN open house earlier this season! That is really marvelous! The plants that were left only appeared to have one eye each, and I hated to pay that much money for just one measly eye, LOL. I wonder if they have this one included in their 20% off sale? Did you see that sale?

Here is a link that might be useful: PDN Summer Sale 20% Off

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Okay, enabler lady, I see that it is 20% off!! Placing one in my cart to go pick up right now :-)

• Eleven
    9 years ago

That is a really lovely hosta. Guess I need to add it to my wish list :)

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Eleven, it's on SALE at PDN (for less than $20). Just sayin'....

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

Is this another version of Color Festival then? Both are sports of Captain Kirk with the yellow jets of color between the center and margin. It is really pretty, but as soon as I saw the picture I thought of Color Festival so checking the parentage I see both are from Captain Kirk.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris, I have both Color Festival and this one. The leaves on GS are more rounded at the ends than CF. Also, white comes a lot faster in the centers on CF. I have a feeling, in more shade, the white would have been much later in the season on GS, but mine has several hours of afternoon sun. I think GS has a thicker substance, too, but I will doublecheck that. Also the leaves are more inverse cupped on GS, whereas CF is flatter.

You are right with the yellow jets of color in later season, though. That does echo in both hostas. Very different hostas, overall, though, at least in my garden. Both get sun, by the way, here.

• timhensley
    9 years ago

A real beauty.

• Lee
    9 years ago

Georgia Sweetheart 2nd year in my garden.. I think it was a young tc when I got her last year.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Appreciate the additional background on this hosta, Chris and fun. I'm excited to say I am picking mine up next Thursday! Melati, yours is beautiful!

• User
    9 years ago

Hmmm. mine was delivered in March 2013 from Naylor. I did not know much about it, but liked the dark edge and light center. In the MYHOSTAS.BE it says it is a sport of American Sweetheart and that it was registered that way. However in the comments below the info on the plant is mention that "Danny" says it is almost certainly a sport of Captain Kirk. I'll make a footnote about Chris' remarks to my plant file.

Here is a picture of it in case anyone needs further enabling. It grew like a champ right off the bat in 2013.
    In April 2013 with Brother Stefan

in May with others for size and color comparisons

...and here it is in May 2014....as you can tell, I kind of LIKE this variegation! :)

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Yeah! I really need this one, but alas, there's no more room at the Inn and I can't do pots under Condo rules. Sheer frustration from here on in.

DD

• User
    9 years ago

Donna, I feel your pain. I'm not sure how this could work, but you might find some satisfaction in offering your talents at hosta garden display design to other neighborhoods or developments with garden clubs and no one to do the work properly. They'd provide the funds, you provide the inspiration and design.

I mean, your garden speaks for itself. Find a neighborhood with a "problem spot" you think would benefit from a hosta presence such as yours. Then tread softly until you discover who to deal with--you don't want to be refused out of hand before you meet someone who has a positive attitude about it.

Even pocket gardens are a big item in cities these days. If there is a Keep America Beautiful group close-by, they might have a list of such places to beautify. Would you consider the volunteer work okay? The great photos of your project speak of your expertise and credentials.

If nothing else, go to the Councilperson for your area and find out any way to do some urban or suburban beautification (with them footing the bill). Sooner or later the municipal office of urban development (or whatever they call it in your area) will be called on to sign off on it. Get acquainted with those people. Leave your calling card. Follow up in a couple of months.

You are too capable a garden planner to languish unused.
    Think about it anyway?

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Sounds wonderful, Mocc. I would be in my glory. Only, I need to find a project that is funded. Hmmmm - Let me ponder this....

DD

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths