Is this HVX or something else?

dirtpig
10 years ago

Tell me what you think,please.
Thank you

Comments (12)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

It doesn't look like the veins are bleeding as in HVX. It is all happening between the veins. Something else is going on. I've never seen that. Hmmmmmmmmmm. It does not look good. Thank you for posting this. Chris??? Help??

-Babka

• Lee
    10 years ago

I think its too much water/rain, happened to my thin yellow leaves too when we had tons of rain almost everyday the past 4-5 weeks.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

What is the name of your now polka dotted hosta..it's pretty even with the spots. I don't own one (YET) that is yellow/gold and white but would like a good growing one. Jo.
    P.S. first instinct is not virus..

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I'd ask Chris. It doesn't look like HVX, but it doesn't look good. You can post this to his forum at this address: http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=63

He has a hosta virus x special page that you can post to. However, it takes one of the other kinds of image files than the one we use. We use the HTML and I think his uses the IMG file.

bk

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Cold damage? Looks like my St. Elmo's Fire that gets hit by frost every season.

Gesil

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

That's virus, an advanced case.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 11:16

• dirtpig
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this hosta.
    I will post this on Chris forum to see what he thinks.
    Yes it's St. Elmo's Fire and it very well could be frost damage and or water damage.
    Will we see..thanks again.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i agree with it looking like cold damage.. but the new leaves have it.. and its long past cold damage time... a month of go.. i would have agreed

ken

• Lee
    10 years ago

Mine is recovering now with some sun burned

except for 1 leaf

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I have a few hostas in my garden that I accidentally squirted with weed killer. Many of them have similar damage.

Any chance you were out with the weed killer in the last week or so?

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Are the leaves really thin where the dark spots are in this picture? I think the picture might be a little bit deceiving.

I'm going to move my St. Elmo's Fire. It's been hit by the late frost for the past two years.

Gesila

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Hi Dirtpig,

St Elmo's Fire is notorious for getting damage in cold or wet weather and then those spots tend to disappear after the leaves dry out. It is like this plant just absorbs too much water and then cell damage occurs. Maybe it has a thin cell wall that bursts easily.

If you've been watering it then stop for a little while and see if these spots start to fade. If it is raining a lot there might not be anything you can do. If it has been really dry lately yet it still has these spots, and if those spots go all the way through the leaves, then I don't think it is HVX but maybe some other virus.

Hope that helps a little.