Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Hosta Seeds

Posted by jmcbackyarddigger z6b So IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 22:21

Some of my hostas put out seed pods, and I don't have a clue who the cross-parents of these potential seedlings are. I can assume that there is some self-pollinating going on here---and probably a little cross-pollinating.

If plants are self-pollinated are the seedlings going to be different than the parent, or what should I expect?

I would assume that with cross-pollination I should be prepared to expect anything?

If I plant these seeds, when should they be planted...and how long does it take to get an idea as to what the plant is going to look like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Hosta Seeds

Self pollinated seeds can still be different than the parents. Most will be green, regardless of what the parents looked like (unless your mom hosta is a streaked hosta).
But that doesn't mean there couldn't be a nice baby from the seed pod. If your parent is a variegated or solid colored hosta, chances are the babies will be solid colored. They may carry on traits like color, size, shape of leaf and maybe a wavy edge of a leaf. They may make good filler hostas if you have a big property. They can be fun to try, but usually don't amount to much.
Seeds need to mature and that takes about 2 months. Wait till the pods are dry and ready to crack. Nature plants them when they split open. Some people plant under lights in the winter to pass the time.

o

Also remember that bees are busy too...I you did not pollinate it yourself will see peole refer to it as op ( open pollination). example Spilt Milk x op . If the pod is self pollinated it is refer to as Spilt Milk x Spilt milk.

Still you can have fun with these seeds midwinter.

I think I am correct ...I am just starting to get in to hybridizing. There are people out here and on other forums that know a LOT more than me on the topic.

o

all you can assume is that most likely only ONE hosta comes true to seed ...

otherwise momma is a hussy ... and you can not predict what the kids will look like ... seems like that sums it up.. lol ..

arent there some FAQ's about seeds???? and try to look back to late last fall posts ... most peeps grow the seeds in the house in winter...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here