Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemayon

London Fog - Mutating?

ConnieMay ON Z6a
10 years ago

Has anyone else found that their London Fog is changing. One of mine is now all streaky with lots of dark green. The other one is about 1/3 like this and the rest is the way I remember it - mostly white at this time of year.

Comments (12)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other one.

• chris-e
    10 years ago

Hmmm, mine doesn't look exactly like either of yours. It is more like the light color in your first picture, but more light green that yellow, and misted. That first one looks very strange, something is going on but I can't say what!

chris

• User
    10 years ago

I got my London Fog yesterday, so zero experience with it.
    In the second photo, the biggest leaf to the far left is close to what my plant resembles. All of the leaves on my new LF are generously marked with narrow streaky dry-brushed white streaks that are not opaque enough or wide enough to be dominant. The main color is a medium green background. I suppose after being exposed to a lot of sun the medium green could become yellow or yellowER. I'll picture it tomorrow.

I would not associate "fog" or "mist" with the hosta in your pictures....except for that one leaf I mentioned.

Do you have pictures of it from the beginning?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Oh what fun!....except if it goes all green on you. It is supposed to be "misted", but it looks very unstable to me. Who knows what your plant will settle into, but it sure is interesting to watch it do its stuff.

-Babka

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

its cool

but it better green up.. or it is what i would call a terminal white ...

there are not enough little green dots ... aka chlorophyll.. to make energy ...

and surely the plant its attached to isnt going to be able to do all the work ...

what does surprise me.. is that there are 3 divisions ...

i would watch it.. enjoy it.. take lots of pix.. and see what happens ...

i would NOT cut on it.. and if it does survive.. and eat LF.. who cares.. the sport is better than momma anyway ...

ken

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what the Jeckyll & Hyde one looked like last June 3rd. Although there were some spots with more green, green wasn't dominant.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here it is in July last year with scapes. This plant is in a lower light situation so that it doesn't green-up.

(The plant that has significantly changed to more green was in more light for the past couple of years. I moved it last fall to the same bed as my lighter one, thinking that it was the location that was making it so green.)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ken,

The reason that there are 3 divisions for the lighter colour is that it is the original plant and I believe it to be the true London Fog. It mists up with more green later in the season but is primarily light coloured. I double-checked the Hosta Library pics to make sure that this was consistent with what was appearing there. Given that that is the case, I may need to operate to remove big bully greeny who has clearly already taken over the 2nd plant. These 2 were purchased at the same time so it is not too surprising that they are both so unstable.

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Personally, I consider the colouration with green normal since I've never seen anyone else's be totally white with just misting.

Here's mine which has always looked like this. There are always a couple eyes that appear just white but it's very random every year.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Mine is the 'normal' white with green misting. I've not had it sport into anything else... YET.

Alleghan Fog, however, has sported for me into a stable green margin with no misting.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Hippieindenial,
    Do you remember where your plant came from?

Thisismelissa - do you have a picture to share?

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

I got mine from a garden centre in Chatham that I believe is now closed. It was called Hank's and I bought it in 2009.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH