Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

my Hostas (lots of pics)

This is our fourth summer here and some of my hostas are finally maturing :)
{{gwi:1045930}}
{{gwi:1045931}}
{{gwi:1045933}}
{{gwi:1045935}}
{{gwi:1029117}}
{{gwi:1045592}}
{{gwi:1045938}}
{{gwi:1045940}}
{{gwi:1045942}}
href="http://s945.photobucket.com/user/bucachiller/media/Garden%20Web%202013/029.jpg.html"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1045943}}
{{gwi:1045944}}
{{gwi:1045945}}
{{gwi:1037009}}
{{gwi:1045946}}

Great Expectations
{{gwi:1005831}}
Marilyn Monroe

Comments (22)

• User
    10 years ago

Whoaaaaaaaa, those are some serious hosta!
    I never saw a Hanky Panky that lit up before....and is it made from a seersucker fabric? :)
    And Jade Cascade, doing a perfect cascade ...
    I'm impressed with them all. Thanks....

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Paula - we have SO MANY of the same hostas, I'm thrilled to see how beautiful they are at 4 years old! I have 2 years to wait before most of mine get to that stage. And now I must add Jade Cascade to my ever-growing wish list.

As for your comment on your page:
    "My DH asked me if he should simply dig up the rest of the grass to make things easier! " Well, DUH, the answer is YES!

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! They all look to be thriving. Queen Josephine has been on my " I really dont have room but maybe I could squeeze it in " list for a while now. After seeing your pic I regret not snapping it up last year when I had the chance.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Lots of standout pictures,
    I really hope my Hanky Panky catches up with yours. And that Tocudama flavo. is really a stunner.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

They all look great. Hard to believe they're only four years old, they look like they've been planted a lot longer. You must have the magic touch. Either that's a tiny birdbath or Singing in the Rain is a monster!

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

Just beautiful Paula!

Your 'Jade Cascade' is stunning, I believe it's one of Ludi's favorites and I can see why!

I also adore the manner in which you've diplayed your ' Bedford Rise and Shine'...very cool.

And your 'Marilyn Monroe', 'Clear Fork River Valley' and 'Revolution' are awesome.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Gorgeous. Thriving and healthy. I am so enjoying looking at everyone's hosta.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Fabulous, all in excellent condition. My favorite is ... (think, think, think, tough choice) ... Singing in the Rain. The HL says Blue Umbrellas Sport. I wonder how large it will get.

Beverly

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Great pics, Paula. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Paula, is Krossa Regal in a pot, or is that a soaker hose?

Lots of beautiful plants here and just nice gardening in general. That volcanic rock is great!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Your hostas seem to be growing at a more rapid rate than mine. My Hanky Panky is about the same as yours,however. It's that flat ground thing,you know! Lol! Phil

• kalija
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful! Love your Marilyn Monroe - I got that one as a bonus from Halsons this year - nice to see what it will look like eventually!

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Nice plants, I can hardly wait to have mine grow as large. I also like your verse on your painted rock beside Hanky Panky although you can't see it all can get the message . Cute!
    Love all the pictures
    Faye

• User
    10 years ago

I wish to add another comment about Queen Josephine. In all the pictures of it posted on the forum, it seems to maintain a nice form all year. Not too big either, so it can fit into tight spaces. I'd say, judging from it being in "leap" mode, that it won't outgrow its spot and can be depended on to stay tidy from start to finish of the season. NOT a prima donna IMHO. Very steady. Very stable.

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

My goodness Paula, you could OD a hostaholic on those pictures. . lol. . .Gave this ole lady chills. . .WOW
    I love that volcanic rock planter. Did you make it or buy it that way? I want one! How big is it? I love that Stiletto. . He never fails to catch my eye. Nice pic of Hanky Panky, too! I love it when Paul (I think it's Paul) posts all the stages of Hanky Panky. Thanks so much for all the eye candy!

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Beautiful gardens and hostas, thanks for sharing. I love the Silver Bay pic - hard to get a good pic with part in light.

Paul

• irawon
    10 years ago

What gorgeously well-developed hostas! I enjoyed the show several times over.

Love your sense of humour, Sidney!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the encouraging comments! I will post some more of my almost mature ones today as well as some of my 'fledgings'.

I didnâÂÂt buy anything mail order because I live âÂÂrelativelyâ close to several hosta places and there arenâÂÂt too many things that are as much fun as driving to a new hosta place to see what treasures they have. As a result, most of my hostas were a decent size when purchased, usually 1 gallon containers.

Jade Cascade, I have 'cheated' a wee bit. It is planted in a pot and this year, I lifted it about 5 inches so the cascade effect would be more prominent, it seemed a shame to let the leaves touch the ground.

Krossa Regal is in a pot, it is very close to the base of a Tamarack and from my experience with root competition...well, it is something best to avoid if possible. Silver Bay is also in a pot for the same reason.

Singing in The Rain is a good size and yes, that is a normal sized bird bath ïÂÂ

I love the shine on Queen Josephine, and she stays exactly the same throughout the season.

The volcanic rock planter, I found it online from a fellow who imports the rock and bores the holes himself, I believe they are four inches in diameter. He sells them at shows and uses them for bonsai plants, and I thought I would try small hostas. This was last summer, I should check to see if I still have his info somewhere.

All of these wonderful comments are making me grin ear to ear! Regular non-hosta folk - just donâÂÂt âÂÂget itâÂÂ.

Thank you,
    Paula

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

They are all maturing beautifully and right on schedule. Good for you!

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

They are all maturing beautifully and right on schedule. Good for you!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Regarding Tokudama Flavocircinalis, I am very pleased with its progress. The place where I purchased it had its own garden where they had this hosta planted and it was fully mature and stunning!
    The lady said she regularly had people asking for some of hers, naturally she told them 'no' that they could buy one in the nursery. I bought one and it seemed very small compared to hers and now four years later, it is coming into its own very nicely. I believe it is known as a slow grower.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

All very fine specimens, Paula. Thank you for taking the time to post.

tj