Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_dirt

Revolution babies

old_dirt 6a
9 years ago

I moved this Revolution to a "nursery" bed last year because it looked so ratty at the end of the year. I think possibly it was infected with nematodes.

This year I discovered the two little babies with it. One solid green and the other a nice tiny Revolution. The little nice one was growing with all but one root above the ground. The root that was in the ground was attached by only a thread of a root. Is this unusual? I haven't ever seen anything quite like this.

I separated the main plant, treated the larger division with bleach solution and potted everything up. I'll be curious to see how all four progress.

Original plant in the ground

Tiny baby (notice root attached with a thread)

Four divisions

All potted with anticipation

Any comments or experience with something like this appreciated.

Jerry

Comments (14)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

You know Jerry, I had a wee Revolution baby too last year, so tiny and I enjoyed the challenge of nursing it. It actually survived the winter where bigger, much bigger hostas didn't! Go figure.
    Baby still going strong. Need to find pics for you! Lucky you, you also got a green baby out of it. :-)

These pics are from last year.

9 years ago

Here it is potted last year, surrounded by paper towel in order to see it better.

Congrats, by the way! It's great that you are nurturing the little guys. They deserve to grow big and strong! :-)

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 23:50

9 years ago

Went out in the dark to get it so you can see the progress so far this season.
    Before I post it, I just wanted to say that yours are more robust looking than mine, so there is no reason for them not to thrive ;-)

I have no idea how unusual this is, although I also found another baby in the centre of a large clump of striptease which also survived. Lucky, I guess!

This little clump consists of 6 pips, one still to unfurl. I see that two or three leaves are yet to show the white centre - it's not a green eye, as these are out of one eye that also includes outer leaf with variegated centre. Time will tell. I don't see why this little guy can't grow to be big and healthy, in a few years or more! Lol

Let's compare these/our little Revolution offspring progress in another month maybe, what say you?

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

So you say you want a REVOLUTION ......ah well......you know..

• old_dirt 6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Went out in the dark to get it", what a gal Josephine! Yes, we will have to compare as they progress. Thank you.

Leaf watcher, in my younger years I always thought what this country needed was a revolution by the working people. As I get older I realize this hosta " revolution" will,probably be the only one I participate in...

9 years ago

The most useful tool on my phone is the flashlight function and I love any excuse to use it! Lol

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Oh, I have a Revolution baby. I debate almost daily if it's worth the effort to bring it to maturity. It's really a pretty little thing, though.

bk

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Were these babies from seed? I have a bunch of tiny ones from last year and left them be but so far think they are all green. Fun anyway. This season I see a whole bunch of really tiny ones under Elegan Emporer

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Blue Mammoth babies

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

These are unknown babies and neither are the parents. I have better luck doing this instead of planting seed. I managed to get none to come up from the seed that Dansgarden sent me and was a very sad time for me . Next time may have to just throw them under another foster parent and they will grow

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

No, Faye, these are not from seed. They are named varieties (h. Revolution) that have suffered some calamity that has them back to infant status. Old_Dirt's was cause is not exactly known. Mine suffered a bad winter.

bk

• old_dirt 6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think they are from seed almost hooked. I get scads every from seed but they are always solid green. I don't understand the natural propagation of a hosta but this one didn't seem to be attached to the mother plant anywhere. I assume it must be some kind of root propagation. The odd thing is, one was solid green and the other an almost perfectly marked revolution.

On a side note, I am not real good at babying anything along. That's why I lost all my seedlings I started in the house last winter. Took them outside in the spring, let them get to cold and wet...

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Very interesting information BK and old dirt. I never knew this happened and is it just with Revolution or do other hosta do this too? I love this site and have learned and am learning all sorts of things . Thanks guys, Faye

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Oh, no, Faye. I have several that have reverted to juvenile status. I'll look at the "nursery" tomorrow, get some photos and tell you about the ones that made it..... barely...through the dry winter.

bk