Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

H. 'Rascal' if for no other reason than I am one . . .

hostahillbilly
11 years ago

one of many Hosta that are celebrated for changing color/pattern over the season.

I love the subtlety.

hh

Comments (12)

• User
    11 years ago

HH, it's great to have you drop these tidbits into the discussion, plants I'll probably never see in real life, and they are so different.

Is it the light, or is the plant really a smoky grayish blue and avocado butter color? With gray-blue veins streaking like antiqued art work? Exceptionally pretty.

• Cricket_Love
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!!

• lavenderlver
    11 years ago

Wow! Stunning plant.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

This is a great Hosta and under appreciated in my opinion. It's upright, it changes color over the season and it will have occasional streaks and variegation. Oh and it's a great grower. Find one.

This one is a second year plant. It's about 30 inches high.

Steve

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

moccasin:

naw, no light tricks here, it really looks like this early in the season, and as noted by another poster, it's one of the Hostas that's celebrated for it's change in color(s) through the growing season.

viva la difference,

hh

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

Moc...
    Mine is in its 2nd season, in LOTS of morning sun and it looks much like HH's.

It's a great plant.

I got a nice large plant from Hallson's last year and it's really beefed up this year!

• buckeye15
    11 years ago

I am still waiting for someone to tell the story behind the name on this hosta.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I think the story was in one of the Hosta journals. It goes something like this.

Mark Zillis named this Hosta Alex Summers and was selling it under this name. Meanwhile the real Alex Summers (not the Hosta) had given permission to someone else to name a Hosta after him. Alex called up Mark and told him to stop selling a Hosta with his name on it. So Mark then named the Hosta after Alex Summers' dog, Rascal. Warren Pollock's write up is much funnier than mine.

HH, thinks it was named after him.

Steve

• buckeye15
    11 years ago

Thanks Steve. I knew it something about Alex' dog.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yup, Mr. Summers dog.

The only one who would name a hosta after me is my wife, and yes she already has (without consulting me, of course ;-(

Mr. Pollock's 'What's in a Hosta Name' is always the first thing I read in the journal.

hh

• User
    11 years ago

Very interesting bit of information there. I am into names, even though they say "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet".....and people as well as other life forms sometimes live up to a good name, or are treated according to what a name leads folks to expect from them.

• chris-e
    11 years ago

I am into names too and got a Rascal 3 years ago because it's the name of my granddaughter's cat. And I love it! It's almost as pretty as that Maine Coon cat.

chris