Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. 'Rascal' if for no other reason than I am one . . .

Posted by hostahillbilly Zone 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 22:24

Rascal2012-06-09_12-54-35_323

one of many Hosta that are celebrated for changing color/pattern over the season.

I love the subtlety.

hh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. 'Rascal' if for no other reason than I am one . . .

HH, it's great to have you drop these tidbits into the discussion, plants I'll probably never see in real life, and they are so different.

Is it the light, or is the plant really a smoky grayish blue and avocado butter color? With gray-blue veins streaking like antiqued art work? Exceptionally pretty.

o

Gorgeous!!!

o

Wow! Stunning plant.

o

This is a great Hosta and under appreciated in my opinion. It's upright, it changes color over the season and it will have occasional streaks and variegation. Oh and it's a great grower. Find one.

This one is a second year plant. It's about 30 inches high.
Photobucket

Steve

o

moccasin:

naw, no light tricks here, it really looks like this early in the season, and as noted by another poster, it's one of the Hostas that's celebrated for it's change in color(s) through the growing season.

viva la difference,

hh

o

Moc...
Mine is in its 2nd season, in LOTS of morning sun and it looks much like HH's.

It's a great plant.

I got a nice large plant from Hallson's last year and it's really beefed up this year!

o

I am still waiting for someone to tell the story behind the name on this hosta.

o

I think the story was in one of the Hosta journals. It goes something like this.

Mark Zillis named this Hosta Alex Summers and was selling it under this name. Meanwhile the real Alex Summers (not the Hosta) had given permission to someone else to name a Hosta after him. Alex called up Mark and told him to stop selling a Hosta with his name on it. So Mark then named the Hosta after Alex Summers' dog, Rascal. Warren Pollock's write up is much funnier than mine.

HH, thinks it was named after him.

Steve

o

Thanks Steve. I knew it something about Alex' dog.

o

Yup, Mr. Summers dog.

The only one who would name a hosta after me is my wife, and yes she already has (without consulting me, of course ;-(

Mr. Pollock's 'What's in a Hosta Name' is always the first thing I read in the journal.

hh

o

Very interesting bit of information there. I am into names, even though they say "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet".....and people as well as other life forms sometimes live up to a good name, or are treated according to what a name leads folks to expect from them.

o

I am into names too and got a Rascal 3 years ago because it's the name of my granddaughter's cat. And I love it! It's almost as pretty as that Maine Coon cat.

chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here