Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidofshade

Stoliniferous hostas

maidofshade
16 years ago

Anyone have a list of stoliniferous hosta (hostas that spread by stolens) or just hostas that spread sideways.???

Example Bold ribbons.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• donrawson
    16 years ago

Here's my list of stoloniferous hostas. Let me know of any corrections or additions. Thank you. Don

Stoloniferous Hostas
    (use care in digging)

ÂAbiqua DelightÂ
    ÂBill Brinka (ÂOpiparaÂ)
    ÂBlackfootÂ
    ÂCandy CaneÂ
    clausa
    ÂDecorataÂ
    ÂDecorata NormalisÂ
    ÂDeeÂs Golden JewelÂ
    ÂFlower SongÂ
    ÂGaijinÂ
    ÂGosan Gold MidgetÂ
    ÂGround MasterÂ
    ÂIce CreamÂ
    ÂMishima Fokarin KobaÂ
    ÂNorth HillsÂ
    ÂParadise PuppetÂ
    ÂSnowstormÂ
    ÂSwooshÂ

• maidofshade
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Don!

• ctopher_mi
    16 years ago

Yellow Splash Rim, Maraschino Cherry, Kinbuchi Tachi and to some extent the Lemon Lime family are a few more. The eyes come out horizontally from the crown so they MUST be planted below the ground to multiply properly. Well, all hostas need to be planted below the ground, but these types especially...

Does Dees Golden Jewel really spread that way? I'll have to check that one and Jewel of the Nile out the next time I dig them.

By the way, hostas spread by rhizomes, not stolons. Stolons are spreading branches/stems that creep on top of the ground. Hostas spread by rhizomes under the ground, so the correct term for an underground, spreading hosta is rhizomatous.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Add Otome No Ka to the list, it definitely is rhizomatous.

Alexa

• maidofshade
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok I didn't know exactly the right term but you guys got what I was looking for. Thanks Again :)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

If it has not been added yet, please include H. 'Kifukurin Otome' as a rhizomatous hosta. Thank you, Don! :-)

Jo
    P.S. Bumped

• User
    9 years ago

Well well, I was interested in this topic and Pieter planned a new thread to feature the topic. Now it seems there is a general interest in it also. Might as well address it here.

I don't really know what list to put some of my hosta on. But I have from the "stoloniferous" and the "rhizomatous" lists quite a few.

Yellow Splash Rim
    Dee's Golden Jewel
    clausa
    clausa normalis
    clausa normalis "Jilin"
    Sam Spade
    Ice Cream
    Sugar Babe (fragrant also)
    Otome No Ka
    Oze (a mini which acts like a small this year)
    rectifolia 'Nishiki'
    Kinbuchi Tachi

I have no idea if these also reproduce by seed?

Reading the description by George Schmid included with Don Rawson's Rhizomatous list, I am reminded of a hosta I had with a joint like a bamboo cane from which it seemed little rootlets were trying to grow. I have the picture, cannot recall the name right now, but would recognize it readily when I see it again. I'll look for it and add it as a question mark here. Plus, I'll try to take more pictures of the base of the hosta to see what is going on.

Now, about Ice Cream. Isn't it related to Vanilla Cream? Are both therefore rhizomatous?

Edited to add picture of Captain Kirk from 2012. It has those rootlets growing from a joint in the petiole I believe it is. But, not sure what is going on with it. Anyway I repotted it to be deeper in the potting mix.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 12:26

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!