Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

opinion of Rainbow's End

Hi,

This hosta looks gorgeous in photos but only the good pics are going to be published. Does anyone have this hosta? Comments, opinions? Is it really shiny, green and yellow?

Thanks.

Comments (27)

• alyciaadamo
    11 years ago

I had it last year and it was beautiful. It was better than the pictures. Unfortunately we had a very messed up winter here and I lost all plants in my pots, this happened to be in a pot. It is very shiny but the center was off white when I had it, I imagine it comes up with a yellow center than it slowly turns white like most other hostas. I liked it I probably will get it again. I just lost too many, that I can't replace them all this summer. I use to have like 30 minis and now I have 4 that's how bad it was for me.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Mine looks just like the pics and has been growing well. No complaints here.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Budd Gardens was out of RE by the time I got there. I became interested after I saw a picture of it in someone's garden. Hostaholic how about a picture of yours when you have the time??

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I've had mine since 2009. For me it is unique. It looks and feels almost plastic. I love it.

-Babka

{{gwi:1046124}}

• Eleven
    11 years ago

This is only my second year for Rainbow's End, and it's already starting to look gorgeous. The leaves are really green and yellow, somewhat shiny, and have good substance.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Definitely will get it.

irawon, Goldenbrook Hostas has it and they ship. $18.00 So does Handlebar Hosta for $18.95 but I am not sure if they ship.

• eclecticcottage
    11 years ago

I need to stop looking at these threads...My want list is already too big for my garden as it is. That's a nice looking Hosta!!

• irawon
    11 years ago

OMG Babka your RE is to die for and Eleven your's is not too far behind. I'll wait till next year to get that one, as I've never mail ordered hoastas before. Paula b thanks for the info though.

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

Beautiful Babka! Planted mine a few weeks ago. Excited to see it grow.

• chris-e
    11 years ago

Damn! I have never seen anything like that. Now I have to go find a pot for this because I am out of garden space. I agree with electiccottage, Got to stop reading here!

chris

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oops, did I open a can of worms - lol!

• User
    11 years ago

Irawon, NEVER MAIL ORDERED? Sweet sassafrassssssssssss....is this your lucky day!!! well, get out your credit card or PayPal, and pay tenshun here, there is nothing to it. ;)
    It is easy easy.

And also placing the containers in little holes here and there, nothing to it, won't hurt the plants a bit.

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Just got RE this spring and love it already!

Alcyia, sorry to hear that, I know it's gotta be disappointing.

Deanna

• prairie_love
    11 years ago

Oh yeah! I get to post a photo! This was taken about two weeks ago, so the plant has grown since then, but I didn't want to wait until tomorrow morning to go take another photo. This was planted last fall. I love this one. It now has some slug/cutworm damage, but less than many of the others (including that Maui Buttercups behind it which is quite decimated).

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

It took a while for RE to get started, for me, but now that it is established, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. The photos are great,but you must see this plant in person to appreciate its texture and coloration.

FAB!

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Here is my Rainbow's End - purchased in the fall of 2012. I highly recommend it. It is a strong grower and very unique.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

And here it is in flower.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

ConnieMay, now I can hardly wait. I just planted one this Spring. Yours is absolutely gorgeous!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting this gorgeous hosta.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I love Rainbow's End, mostly because it is different from other hostas. It looks like no other hosta to me. Plastic/shiny look and feel, and the colors are not the soft brushed on water colors of other hostas. It really stands out.

-Babka

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

White bell flowers on red scapes are a nice plus!

• hostanista
    9 years ago

I bought a Rainbow's End at the end of July after I drooled over ConnieMay's in her garden. Stunning! I hope mine can live up to all the hype...such a wee baby right now (photographed immediately after planting).

• mctavish
    9 years ago

I'm a big fan of Rainbow's End too. It was really stunning this year. It has such unique, colorful flowers.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

McTavish - You really captured the beauty of Rainbow's End in your gorgeous photos.

DD

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

So share DD's sentiment! Been away, came home to find my RE just about disappeared but it will come up in spring as glorious as this past spring. Terrific hosta in looks and growth habit. As Babka put it, it IS so different from every other hosta. I really like it for its cheerful appearance...it just looks so joyful. Here is an earlier picture.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Josephine picked the perfect description for Rainbow's End..."Joyful". This one simply makes you happy when you see it. Everyone should have one of these.

-Babka