Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Into Second with a Stand-up Double...

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

....double my effort on pics that is. Took lots of pics today, here's just a few...

MA - montana Aureomarginata - love it, this was the hosta that gave me the hosta bug. Had one growing in the woods (still do) that dwindled, so I bought a second one and gave it some sun - WOW - YES - Finally. Still spreading out and the leaves are amazing this year. Okay, time to wipe off my drool. Sorry.

Striptease - getting ready to put it all out there. It will fill all the oak leaf areas in the pic and them some.

Alabama Gold - it looked good in a pot, but it likey the garden.

Blueberry Muffin - if you like blues and haven't bought this one yet, don't wait. Good grower and great color....interesting how well it grows with Frances Williams (x Fall Bouquet) in its heritage. Sound like a broken record, but this is still getting unwrapped from the late spring.

Brave Attempt - good growth and cool patterns. Growing in a far amount of sun (zone 4 MN).

Celtic Dancer - another one that took off right away.

Color Festival - growing in quite a bit of sun.

Curly Fries - time to get moved GE and Blueberry Muffin will be looking for ketchup by the end of summer.

Daybreak - nice yellow

Great Expectation - starting to live up to its name.....which means I'll probably kill it over the next 2 years.

Korean Snow - so fun in the spring

Little Treasure - not so little anymore, leaves went wide this year.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (29)

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting.
    All looking good and a few added to my list of course.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Lovely plants! Thanks for sharing.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

That Striptease will be filling out more than that area by the oak leaves Paul. Mine looked like yours for a couple of weeks. It took over all the real estate this past weekend!

You sure have a beautiful Brave Attempt. Mine was stunted being in a pot, I planted it in the ground past week and it's starting to get some shape. It was one of those shrinky dinks this spring.

I really like Curly Fries. I wasn't into that kind of shaped hosta but have grown to like them. They're a good filler for the front of the beds.

Gesila

• User
    9 years ago

I'm glad to see someone else grows Alabama Gold. I like it. It is one that I put in the ground too. It seems to like it there.

Daybreak is impressive next to your really blue hosta. I will keep an eye out for that one, I always like good golds.

Color Festival is new here this year, and I don't know quite how to locate its pot. Yours seems very happy. Morning sun is always a good bet for white midleafs.

Very happy to see your pictures. Look forward to the second session, they change so quickly.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Glad to see someone who can actually grow montana Aureomarginata! Mine is so small this year,after so many freezes every year,for many years,that is is finally giving up. It is/was the first one up year after year,that I guess it couldn't take it anymore! Nice plants,Paul. I'm beginning to think that really good plants only grow up north! Phil

• jamie81
    9 years ago

Thanks Paul. I love your pictures. Gives me a list of beautiful plants that I know will thrive in Minnesota.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Great photos and hostas, Paul. I love reading your personal comments on each of your hostas. Blueberry Muffin was available at a nearby reputable garden center last year. I'll have to go and see if they have it this year!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I like those wider leaves on Little Treasure. How old is it? Do you think it's a temporary anomaly or a sign of maturity?

bk

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for the comments.

Gesila, I was suprised how Brave Attempt jumped in growth, so hopefully yours gets settled.

Moc, Daybreak gets yellower thru summer and can get big - pic below is a mature one from the local arboretum.

Phil, I guess there's one advantage to sub-zero winter days.

bk, Little Treasure I got from idiothe in 2010 as 2 division liner - was 6 div in 2012 and then really took off in last two years.

Paul

• miketropic
    9 years ago

what is that in the top left of the strip tease pic? your brave attempt looks wonderful. mine is growing well but I think your has much better color and streaking

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mike, the bl-grey with white margin is El Nino - it's color is pristine right now, else the light green above is Gilt by Association and the light green with dark center is Velvet Moon. I'll get pictures up on some of these soon.

Paul

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

More nice selections. Stand up double with pics that are on Target (Field). ;-)

I got Little Treasure at a hosta sale this spring. Good to see your nice example, as well as the rest.

Thanks.

tj

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

They all look great but I really love that montana Aureomarginata! I finally bought one this year and I hope it does better than Phil's LOL.

Linda

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Paul, that montana Aureomarginata is beautiful! I've been considering getting one but I'm afraid it'll collapse from the heat here. How is the substance on it?

Also, how old is your Great Expectations? I received mine as a starter plug years ago and it's growing painfully slow. I'm wondering how long it'll take to get as large as yours.

• User
    9 years ago

HostaTakeover, I know it gets hot up your way, but I got a montana Aureomarginata this year and it seems to be doing fine.
    It has more to fight in this climate than it would up there, except emerging early is not a problem for it here. I think it might emerge TOO early for you, and get frost bite.

But I would not let that deter me from getting one. It is a lovely plant.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tj - very good, Target it is ;-) Little Treasure showed signs of growing well right from the start. I think it has thrown off a solid division occasionally, looked decent. I had one in a pot but it rotted over winter - oops.

Thanks Linda, it's one of those you have to grow.

Hosta Takeover, hopefully someone with similar climate can give you info on how mA grows. It's been in top 15 in hosta polls so getting votes from a range of growers.

-Great Expectations - added in 2011 as decent sized divisions 2 or 3, grown to 8 divisions this year (doubled from 2013). This one gets morning sun and decent watering. Have a second GE in shade that was 1 division since 2008 and it finally added an eye.

Paul

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Moccasin, thank you for the info; that's very helpful. I bought my first Hosta only 5 years ago and there's never been a problem with early freezes until this year, so hopefully it'll do just fine for most years.

Thank you for the picture!

Paul, thanks for the info on GE. I'm glad I put it in the sunniest location I had, but I'll try making sure it gets more water.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Beautiful hostas! I just came inside from moving a soaker hose to make sure my mont. A. gets more water. I want it to grow big like yours. Thanks for sharing. They all look great.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alabama Gold yellowing up

Paul

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Great pictures. My fav maybe Blueberry Muffin, but ask me tomorrow and it will change. They look very nice. I was saving my comments for the last one. (Home run?)

Beverly

• blacksheep998
    9 years ago

Really cool hostas. What's the one in the background of the second shot? The gold with green stripes.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Black sheep that's Velvet Moon.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dup deleted

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 9:01

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple of updated pics-

montana Aureomarginata - stretching out and margin colors changing.

Great Expectations - is it any wonder that we strive to successfully grow this one.

Paul

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Paul, the hosta which led me to revamp my hostas in 2009 was a h.montana 'Aureomarginata', could have been also a 'Atlantis'. I was parked at a little park waiting for my grandson to finish pre-school when I saw that hosta there in semi shade, what a view. Right after I started to go from 35 different ones to 220 right now.
    Now I also have a h. 'Abba Dabba Wow', looks the same to me.
    Bernd

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Good looking plants, very good pics!

Comments on comments: sorry ya'all zone 7 folk. I believe that, with the exemption of south China natives such as plantaginea, it's commonly accepted that most Hosta grow bigger 'up north. Note I didn't say faster ;-) From my travels I believe z5 is their favorite, in general.

As regards GE - LEAVE.IT.ALONE. We've only lost one over the years. The really old timers will tell you - LEAVE IT ALONE. ;-)

Montana Aureomarginata is a very early old time variegated cultivar. Few people on tour here fail to notice and appreciate them. Unlike ones like Krossa Regal, MA really needs fully watered to maintain it's capability to remain turgid, upright, erect vase-shaped but is still an eye catcher when a little droopy.

MN Paul, this post of yours is this weeks enabling rascal. That's alright, we still have some dupes we can replace (but our GE's are gonna get LEFT.ALONE.

a Thanks,
    hh

• User
    9 years ago

I'll let you know how my montana Aureomarginata does next spring. This is its first year, and it is holding its own in our heat and humidity. It gest sun of course but not afternoon kind. I am excited to think it is gonna be a monster.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Glad to see your pic of blueberry muffin. Bought that one on impulse this year at a local parking lot nursery. Knew nothing about it except it was blue and a good price. Now I need to find it a home where it can spread out.

• maggiepie_gw
    9 years ago

Paul, how do you keep your hosta looking so pristine?
    They are all beautiful, makes me feel like pulling everything out of my garden and filling it with hosta.
    Really must find Blueberry Muffin, it grows more beautiful each time I see it.