Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lakeside Shoremaster

Posted by bkay2000 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 22:30

I love the look of this hosta. Is it a good grower?

I'm working on my fall list.

bk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lakeside Shoremaster

I wouldn't call it fast or slow... medium...

it is exceptional in its tolerance. We have one in a traditional shady spot and it has done well, but we plunked one down in a south-facing sloped rock garden... thin soil, a lot of direct midday sun... and it has also done very well. It's leaves are a little smaller than the shadier plant, but it holds up very well to the sun and wind and frequently dry conditions.

btw... Mary registered it as three words... Lakeside Shore Master... I tend to put the last two together, but...

o

I have it in deep shade and it's not put on any growth in 4 years, despite having AWESOME soil (former compost heap, turned garden).
So, it does need some light.

o

Mine in May

Lakeside Shoremaster photo LakesideShoremaster.jpg

Then in June

Lakeside Shoremaster photo LakesideShoreMaster.jpg

Then in July

Lakeside Shoremaster photo LakesideShoremaster-1.jpg

Then a close-up of the leaf

Lakeside Shoremaster leaf photo LakesideShoremasterleaf.jpg

I am trying to persuade you to put in on your list. Its a beauty IMO but Im a sucker for center variegation

o

Well,I've posted this pic before but here is mine in May of this year. It is even bigger now. This plant,planted in 2006,is what I would call mature,does grow very well for me. It is very vigorous now. You be the judge. Phil

photo DSC_0031_zps51cb176f.jpg

o

It has been a very fast grower for me. It is a beauty and seems indestructible.

o
RE: Lakeside Shore Master

From today, just starting to yellow a bit in the centers. Still not all stretched out yet, leaves will reach to the ground.
Hosta 'Lakeside Shore Master' (10)-001

Paul

o

I agree with idiothe. . . .medium grower and extremely tolerant. Mine is in tons of afternoon sun. L.S. Shore Master is just a nice hosta all the way around.

L.S. Shore Master photo LSshoremaster.jpg

o

Lakeside Shore Master is one of my favorites. Good grower nothing eats it and should be on everyone's list. You will like this one. Plus as you can see from the photo plays well with others!

o

Yep, if Chris still has some in October, that's definitely on the list.

bk

o

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 21:40

Second year with real good growth
 photo LakesideShoremaster.jpg

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 14:25

I have to agree with idiothe and sidney on the moderate growth and high tolerance.

o

Me too. High tolerance, medium growth. Mine is three years old and has to contend with other perennials around it - I think I will pull them out soon, my hostas need the space.
2012 and 2013
LakesideShoreMaster photo LakesideShoreMaster.jpg
Lakeside Shore Master photo 036-1.jpg
I think I will take another pic today because it has grown quite a bit in the last three weeks.

o

This is a one year old in my pot! Fast grower for me and gorgeous!

o

Just got it this spring.

o

Here is an updated pic that I took today.

o

Great photos! Thanks Kentstar, for that photo. I do all my hosta in pots, so knowing it does well in pots helps. Some don't seem to like pots.

bk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here