Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Lakeside Shoremaster

bkay2000
10 years ago

I love the look of this hosta. Is it a good grower?

I'm working on my fall list.

bk

Comments (16)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I wouldn't call it fast or slow... medium...

it is exceptional in its tolerance. We have one in a traditional shady spot and it has done well, but we plunked one down in a south-facing sloped rock garden... thin soil, a lot of direct midday sun... and it has also done very well. It's leaves are a little smaller than the shadier plant, but it holds up very well to the sun and wind and frequently dry conditions.

btw... Mary registered it as three words... Lakeside Shore Master... I tend to put the last two together, but...

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I have it in deep shade and it's not put on any growth in 4 years, despite having AWESOME soil (former compost heap, turned garden).
    So, it does need some light.

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Mine in May

Then in June

Then in July

Then a close-up of the leaf

I am trying to persuade you to put in on your list. Its a beauty IMO but Im a sucker for center variegation

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Well,I've posted this pic before but here is mine in May of this year. It is even bigger now. This plant,planted in 2006,is what I would call mature,does grow very well for me. It is very vigorous now. You be the judge. Phil

{{gwi:917793}}

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

It has been a very fast grower for me. It is a beauty and seems indestructible.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

From today, just starting to yellow a bit in the centers. Still not all stretched out yet, leaves will reach to the ground.

Paul

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

I agree with idiothe. . . .medium grower and extremely tolerant. Mine is in tons of afternoon sun. L.S. Shore Master is just a nice hosta all the way around.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Lakeside Shore Master is one of my favorites. Good grower nothing eats it and should be on everyone's list. You will like this one. Plus as you can see from the photo plays well with others!

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, if Chris still has some in October, that's definitely on the list.

bk

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Second year with real good growth

• Eleven
    10 years ago

I have to agree with idiothe and sidney on the moderate growth and high tolerance.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Me too. High tolerance, medium growth. Mine is three years old and has to contend with other perennials around it - I think I will pull them out soon, my hostas need the space.
    2012 and 2013
    {{gwi:1001058}}
    {{gwi:1046260}}
    I think I will take another pic today because it has grown quite a bit in the last three weeks.

• kentstar
    10 years ago

This is a one year old in my pot! Fast grower for me and gorgeous!

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Just got it this spring.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Here is an updated pic that I took today.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great photos! Thanks Kentstar, for that photo. I do all my hosta in pots, so knowing it does well in pots helps. Some don't seem to like pots.

bk

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus