Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

Carolina Sunshine

Is anyone growing this hosta? I was at a garden centre today, and I saw this hosta and I had never heard of it before so I had to buy it.
Goodness knows where all of the hostas that I purchased this spring, are going!

Comments (8)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

yup, i like it. not a ten footer for me, but makes me smile when i go "now what's that one? oh, yeah"

_~

dkB

• Gesila
    9 years ago

An inexpensive hosta, I only paid $5.99 for it. It grows in my sun garden, probably the hottest spot on my property. It's been moved a couple of times. I got it in the spring of 2011.

Gesila

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

brag thanks, I look forward to seeing mine mature.

Gesila, yours is lovely, I really like the leaf shape.

I took a pic of mine today...it is a far cry from the nice form that yours has.

This post was edited by paula_b_gardener on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 10:36

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Paula, mine looked worse that yours the first season! That's why it got moved a few times.

Give it two years and you won't recognize it!

Gesila

This post was edited by Gesila on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 20:28

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Gesila, you just sold me on Carolina Sunshine simply from your 'before' shot! I would have passed it by not knowing it would grow to such a beauty! Thank you! I'm going to check if Hosta Fever has it. I'm due over there...again.;)

That doesn't sound right, what I said but I think you get my meaning? I passed on Victory last year, being unfamiliar with it, regretted it when I later googled it. Moral of this story? Have phone camera, will travel! Lol

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 10:29

• Gesila
    9 years ago

To be quite honest, all of the hostas I bought in 2011 were simply because I didn't already have it. At that time, I also didn't know about all of the places I can buy them from. A lot of those "ugly ducklings" have turned into some beautiful hostas.

Now, when I hosta shop, I have a page open in Safari to the hosta library on my IPhone and look it up if I'm unfamiliar with how a mature specimen looks.

Gesila

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Gesila, I find your Carolina Sunshine to be a real looker. Young in the pot, not so much. Just shows what of faith & willingness to try something can bring about...

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

That was my point of reference yes, phone open to google or Library. I just came to the realization that back in the eightys the hostas one purchased looked very much like their mature status, give or take later corrugation, I.e. There were very few, if any that I recall at that time, that looked so different while still juvenile. Can't say that anymore, 6000 cultivars later!

I guess that is the mystery that hooks us in also...sometimes we are totally unprepared when a so-so hosta morphs into a "swan" - at least, I am! :-)