Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

More room for hostas!

mosswitch
10 years ago

Yeah I know I thought I was done clearing space for hostas. But many years ago I planted native ginger, and it was beautiful, sharing garden space with other native wildflowers.....but now it has spread so much that I seem to have a sea of wild ginger in the older part of the wildflower garden. And it's covered up a lot of its neighbors, like ferns and trilliums. So most of it has to go! So far I've pulled out three wheelbarrows of it and I am seeing lots of space to plant more hostas!

I think I'll plant my seedling babies out there to grow them on for a while, and they can also be place holders for new hostas that I buy along the way.

I'll still have plenty of wild ginger, and I have transplanted some of it under a couple shrubs, but it will be under control for a while, again.

Not sure but I am thinking ginger may be somewhat alleopathic where hostas are concerned. Where it has surrounded hostas, they haven't done too well, getting smaller and smaller each year. Whether it's because they were crowded out or covered up, or because something in the ginger roots isn't compatible with them, I don't know. Japanese maples don't seem to like it, either.

Sandy

Comments (25)

• User
    10 years ago

Sandy, that is an observation I much appreciate about the ginger. I have some which was struggling to stay alive, so I was not concerned about it becoming aggressive. This spring, it has taken off and about tripled its size though. So it is good to know to keep an eye on it.

There is something about our climate that allows plant life to grow prolifically, with random excess. Like the ferns which are naturalizing in several parts of my garden, different species of ferns too. Oh, it looks pretty. Right, but when it starts covering up the whole garden, marching toward the house, I think it's time to set some boundaries.

But after DH finishes de-rooting this 16 x 55 foot flower bed on the south side of our driveway, backed up to the neighbor's huge weed-filled azaleas, I will have space for IN THE GROUND HOSTA.....YES....

This thought has taken a while to grow to a real possibility. It began as a glimmer when DH declared war on the old azaleas we'd tried to kill for as long as we've lived here. The space starting looking really nice. It had been used as the chip bed when we had 7 trees cut down and stumps ground. Not bad spot, but root riddled. But, not any more. DH has about 6 more feet to go to finish the 55 feet. He is at the end beneath the palms. He is of the opinion where he is the temp is much lower than near the street. A little microclimate where a southern hosta might be happy.

So Sandy, I can be happy for your "found" spot. Good for you!!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I am envious of anyone who has more room for hostas. I am in trouble now that mine are maturing!
    No, really I am excited for you - an entire doorway just opened :)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Sandy, I was thinking the same thing, except I'm going to remove Pachysandra. I'll transplant the Pachysandra in the woods to keep the weeds at bay.

I always wanted to plant some ginger but was afraid DH would think it was a weed and pull it out.

Now, my hostas are getting big enough that I'm not even thinking about groundcover.

Three wheel barrows! That's plenty more room for hostas. What are you thinking about getting?

Gesila

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gesila, there will be Shady Oaks liners this fall when they come in at the nursery but I don't know what they are yet, and somewhere on my desk I have a list for LOTG for fall. I'm doing most of my planting in the fall now, it seems to work best for me. In the meantime, now I have a spot to put all my babies for growing on so I can see what they might grow up to be, if anything. The ones that just turn out to be green and generic, I can give away. Somebody always wants hostas, even ordinary green ones.

And I'm not done pulling out ginger. I have three more huge patches that need dealt with.

Moc, it isn't that it is so aggressive, it has taken years for it to get to the size it is now and I've pretty much put off dealing with it. But all this rain this spring has really made it grow and all of a sudden I have been wondering what happened to some of the ferns, and other wildflowers that used to grow there.....all swallowed up by ginger that has been here so long it thinks it owns my real estate!

But do keep an eye on it, and don't let your little patches get out of hand!

Sandy

• plantbug
    10 years ago

mosswitch, would you email me please? re native ginger.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the next patch that must go. Somewhere in there are a couple azaleas and some ferns. Looks like new hosta country to me!

Sandy

• irawon
    10 years ago

That looks like a perfect spot for hostas...lots of dappled sunshine. I'm envious of your energy.

Thanks for the info about native ginger. I planted some last summer but it disappeared with the drought. It's back again this spring. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I also planted European ginger in the vicinity of a Japanese maple. It's not doing well, so now I know why.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I worried about my ginger with the drought last year when it wilted, and the foliage burned with the heat, I was sure it was dead. Never! It has come back stronger than ever this spring. Will not ever worry about it again, just let it go dormant if we have another drought! It is a native, and has survival skills for that kind of thing.

This patch will be next.

Sandy

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Sandy - what a great spot with tons of potential! The ginger is pretty though - a worthy place holder while your more ambitious plans incubated. How exciting to embark on a new plan. Wish I had some undiscovered space!
    Jan

• User
    10 years ago

Sandy, you have a great space in the woods, untapped resources. My found space is the cooler end of a flower bed. However, being able to plant in the ground there, now THAT is a big treat. Something really great, tested negative for HVX, and hopefully no other virus pokes its nose around here ever again.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

plantbug, I emailed you. I didn't realize my email address was not in my profile, but I fixed it and it is now. If you didn't get my message let me know.

Sandy

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ginger is gone, lots more room for hostas now in these three beds! My path is wider too. The one straight ahead already has some hostas and ferns, and a small Japanese maple, but there is still room for a lot more. I kept some small patches of ginger, and the bed on the right has a big patch of mayapples and solomon's seal, on the far right that you can't see in this picture, plus a lot more spring wildflowersand ferns. Oh yes and a dogwood and Empress Wu. I already planted some Virginia bluebells in there today.

Still a lot of ginger in other patches that has to go, or at least, be taken down in size. But the biggest job is done!

Sandy

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have to be careful pulling ginger, bloodroot has reseeded and is hiding in it. Don't want to pull that! Maybe I'll leave this patch alone!

Sandy

• irawon
    10 years ago

Sandy, that's a great use of logs. I like the design of your beds with the straight path leading to your round island bed. looks like an upsidedown exclamation point!

I had an opportunity to buy a mayapple this spring but I didn't because I didn't know how big it would get. Do you have a pic in bloom?

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irawon, thank you!

I might have a pic of the mayapples somewhere, I'll look for it. They get about 12-15" tall. Mine are getting ready to go dormant so they aren't pretty right now but they have been beautiful this spring!

Sandy

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Sandy, Your space is amazing, I love the woods - where do you live?
    I wonder what DH would think if I started looking at real estate pages...:)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's a GREAT space you have for hosta and ferns! It's quite beautiful, and looks super hosta-friendly. Have fun with the 'remodel'.

Don B.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paula, I'm in SW Missouri, the Ozark region. Come see!

Sandy

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Thanks! If I am ever planning on coming near that way, i will send you a message because I would love to see your amazing garden space.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

Is this the same Ginger you have? I've always thought this was European Wild Ginger and never realized it was native. I have had it inner planted with my hostas for several years and has never gotten out of hand. Maybe a different variety?

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

For what it's worth, I am stating here that I have been removing all creeping groundcovers in my yard, I noticed that they are too much work when you finally realize that they are trying to take over your world. In some places like pachysandra under rhododendrons they are so much enmeshed with the shallow rhodo roots that it is close to impossible to remove.

Think about, in case you get a bad back one year, with another year to be careful, and you can not bend down to do some heavy weeding, some groundcovers will take over your garden.
    Bernd

• ademink
    10 years ago

old_dirt...yours *is* European - the shiny leaves are the give away. Native is more of an almost fuzzy, matte leaf.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes that is European ginger. Doesn't spread like the native variety, which does take up a lot of real estate if allowed.

See the above picture with the bloodroot growing in it. (the bloodroot is the one with the scalloped edge)

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: native ginger

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

Thanks, good to know. I have enough trouble trying to get the Vinca under control.

• User
    10 years ago

Berndny, this spring I watched the baskets of old ferns go wild in a couple of months, fill a low spot and go beyond the bounds of a flower bed to naturalize among the monkey grass that had previously naturalized in the Back40. Similar fern has naturalized in another spot where it is shady and damp and cool, and is now working its way down that flower bed. I was pleased to see it at first, but now it is encroaching on my Moonwalk pavers and I cannot stay on the path without getting my legs wet from the moisture, but of course the dachshunds like to go in the arched green tunnel just right height for them.
    I never thought I'd have an invasive FERN. But it is a spreading ground cover as it is growing here. It bears watching.

Last May, note the hanging baskets from previous year clustered around base of the sasanqua.

And this year, also in May I believe

I believe that sunshine will limit its expansion.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource