Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Striptease Family standouts?

User
9 years ago

I ended 2013 with 3 of the Striptease family. I am now up to eight.
As far as I'm concerned, I have the 8 best of the bunch. I'm not intent on acquiring the whole schmeer, just these, what I consider the standouts. Can anyone add to these? Or show agreement by posting pictures of these, or show a different selection from the family?

What I like is being able to actually tell who belongs to the family. They all have some interpretation of the famous G-string white line in a part of the midleaf. That's how I describe it anyway.

My first family member was Gypsy Rose. A smallish beauty.
I thought she looked good in May 2013, so I include her picture from last year.

Then comes Jim Hartmann who I gave free rein to choose hosta from his garden for me, and he includes Kiwi Full Monty and Striptease itself. Now I see them up close. Also this picture is from 2013 June. Fairly new arrivals.

They grow nicely, all 3 of them, and I decide to see others. I was smitten by Babka's Snake Eyes, the hardest one to find, and of course, it was easy to go further. Erotica. Juha. Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. Hanky Panky.

Here is the family portrait of all eight family members at the reunion. It is easy to compare leaf size of the immature plants. I'm expecting them all to get much bigger, especially after seeing the recent thread about Kiwi Full Monty being so large. Please share pictures of family members growing in your garden. You know which ones they are.

This reunion photo dated May 31. 2014. Three in back are Striptease, Gypsy Rose, Kiwi Full Monty.
Then Snake Eyes, Juha, Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, Hanky Panky.
Out front is Erotica. Juha, the baby, is a fast grower.

Comments (16)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I do note the family resemblance. It was the "little white line" or "strip" that set Striptease apart from other hostas I had ever seen. I never thought about its changing colors over the season. What a wonderful family group you have there, Mocc.

-Babka

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Those all look great, Mocc!

I only have one from this family ( at least I'm pretty sure it's in the family- correct me if I'm wrong.)

Risky Business- I rearranged this small bed a few weeks ago to give it more room

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Coll, oh yes, Risky Business is in the family. That is a pretty hosta. Beautiful surroundings for it too.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I certainly agree that 'Hanky Panky' is a good offspring. I was reluctant at first, but the longer I have it the more I appreciate it.

Hanky Panky

tj

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree, tj. To me, Gypsy Rose and Hanky Panky are a good pair together. A tight mound well organized it seems. Nothing loose about it. Yours is a tidy growing hosta, has everything looking good.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

How about these?

Playmate

Pin-Up

White Bikini

Moulin Rouge

Vanessa

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I only have Kiwi Full Monty but I am thinking I may need to get a few more of his family members :P

Linda

Great thread BTW, it's fun to see the whole family

• luuk
    9 years ago

What a beautiful family, here's my young Alan Titchmarsh.
    {{gwi:1046480}}

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have a few of them. Kiwi Full Monty,Hanky Panky,Gypsy Rose. What I like about Hanky Panky is the fact that it changes colors during the season. It starts out real acid yellow when it comes up in the spring,then by the end of the season,it has reverse variegation,and looks almost like another Striptease. Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Hippie- Your h. Moulin Rouge made me sit up straight! That's one I've never seen before and it is going on my wish list.

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of one of my Stripteases,along side Kiwi Full Monty. This picture shows the big difference between the two,in coloring. Phil

{{gwi:1046481}}

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

They say a picture is worth a thousand words,so here is a pic of Hanky Panky,the way he looks today. Phil

{{gwi:1046482}}

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Here is a Striptease in dappled light.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

A sport of KFM called Obscene Gesture. Different!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, nice one, Phil. This family is growing well in many places.
    Luuk, never saw Alan Titchmarsh, it is in Technicolor, with deep tones. Does it also have a period when it changes?

White Bikini has potential, love the neat mound it is making. It could be part of a menage a troi with Gypsy Rose and Hanky Panky.

Moulin Rouge is in the Erotica/Snake Eyes branch of the family, to my eye anyway.

I consider the sports of Striptease directly to be the stronger looking ones, not the sports of the sports. But we'll see I suppose, "never say never." :)

Oops, I think it is going to rain again this afternoon.

• luuk
    9 years ago

Mocc, ...yes, the colors are very bright, perhaps because gets a lot of morning sun, until noon. I bought AT last september, so this is the first season. In early spring the medio variegation was light green, probably the current yellow remain the same until the end of season.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz