Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

All of this years' eyes will die.

Babka NorCal 9b
9 years ago

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure, but the eyes you have this year DIE and don't come back. What you get next year is the eyes that formed at the base of the leaves from that eye. Pull off a leaf in fall and see that little eye at the base of every petiole. Some are bigger than others.
That is next years' growth. If there is a large crown, you will bigger eyes, but some of them will be smaller and this is normal as the hosta builds up crown material.

That is why a division off a mature plant has whopper leaves that first year, and smaller leaves the second year while it is building more crown and roots.

What you see this year is directly dependant on how the hosta was grown last year.

Corrections are welcome. ;-) Ken???

Comments (17)

• User
    9 years ago

That's what I thought. Not that they DIE, so much as how well they do NEXT year (after the professional nursery grew them strong), will be to their credit really, as long as I keep them watered and alive. But, the 2nd year, perhaps that is somewhat up to me.

I work the time line this way.
    I get a lot of hosta in 2012. They grow all that season in my garden, just so I keep them watered and alive, they will open the 2013 season with the strength given them at the nursery.

In 2013, they will be continuing on some of that reserve, like the number of eyes perhaps. But also on what I did for them.

Which means that of the 2012 plants I bought (200 and more), when 2014 started, they are working off my input more than before.

I'm not sure how this works with the hosta "grown on" for 2 or 3 years in the fields, or maybe potted in a greenhouse nursery, but I'm ready to hear Ken explain it to me.

We go to the Yoda. At what point is my input what the hostas rely upon? Or, is the starting point always the important factor?

We come to the Yoda.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

With hosta, we are but temporary custodians of the future of our passion. A dedicated grower will do everything it takes for the smallest of the flock; coddle it, baby it, give it special TLC and even whisper sweet nothings in its general direction.

The professional nurseries never care for them like we do. To them, they are like cattle, there for one capitalistic purpose, to make money.

Sure street creds go to the growers, but it is you and me, and others like us, who are dedicated to the proposition that what we do will instill in others the desire to learn what we have learned and carry it into the next generation.

ben, yoda, luke ... are you there?

_~

dave

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll qualify that subject line... All of the leafed out eyes on this years hostas will die. Yoda? Didn't he die too? Speaking of Star Wars, I went to High School with Harry Ford (Harrison). Yes, the eye dies and disappears. It is gone. What you see remaining is that round spot on the crown with hairs around it. What you get next year are the buds that are at the base of the petioles of the leaves that were around that round spot. With more crown material formed over the summer, the eye produces larger (more mature) leaves next year. That is why what you see this year is a result of how the hosta was grown last year. Weenie crown material= weenie hostas. Lotsa roots stronger crown.

Right Ken???

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

(I think the Yoda is taking a break.)

Bragu says, "....but it is you and me, and others like us, who are dedicated to the proposition that what we do will instill in others the desire to learn what we have learned and carry it into the next generation. "

Why Dave, I think you are a romantic!! Hello, friend! :)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If we all learned from previous posts, no one would be posting! Just about every question that has been asked has been answered in the past. There are new hostas, but the culture/growing of these jewels doesn't change. I understand why some old folks don't post anymore...how many times can you say the same thing?

What keeps some of us oldies going is that there are new ones that are so unlike the old ones.

Does Ken buy any new ones, or just give sage advice about the basics?

Where is Caliloo who put a lot of info on the FAQ?

What happened to Hank Zumach who posted his Hosta of the Day which inspired Papou? And cost him to be kicked off this forum ( because his photos took up too much bandwidth) so he went to Hallson's which started as an alternative forum back in 2001 where Chris allowed more pics.

The "old" folks are trying to pass what they have figgered out, but it doesn't always resonate.

Been here too long, I guess. Not a romantic.

Whether you grow 3 or 3,000. The basics of hostadom are still the same.

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I agree with you Babka! This years leaves are not the same ones you will see next year;which will come from different eyes. I have a couple of Stripteases,that have crowns with no eyes showing,every year. Almost a 'fairy ring',but the new leaves quickly cover them up.Same thing with Rhododendrons. Mine have just finished blooming,and next years buds are already there,to open next year. Phil

• jadie88
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you posted this topic, as I have been wondering about this. I understand about the dormant eyes that grow to replace the "spent" growing points. So...if this season's eyes (which developed over last season) are lost to rot, then next year's buds (which should develop over this growing season) are triggered to get growing. And this is why "survivors" of rot are so small and immature...they are emerging a year before their time? Does that sound right?

More importantly: Wow! What was Harry Ford like?? Nice guy?

MOST importantly: Babka, I hope YOU never bow out...I always love your impeccable plants! :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

close enough for me babs...

lets call an individual eye .. an annual [without arguing its there.. microscopically the prior year ... or biennial .... ] ...

and the crown perennial ...

i offer such as an analogy ... not as something i heard or read ....

as the movie said.. sorta... grow the roots.. and the plant will come ... when you divide.. you massacre the root mass.. that made the huge leaves.. so it regresses.. until it can bebuild a root mass sufficient for mature leaves ...

i dont think i have bought a hosta in 10 years ...

you guys went kinda girlie on me... so many words ... so many subjects... did i hit them all.. reading it like a guy ... lol ....

ken

ps: field of dreams... hosta fields ...lol....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Great thread,so Ken from what you have said I gather that hostas are like corn?

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I, too want to know. Was Harrison Ford always good looking or is it just the makeup?

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Harry was a regular guy...not a BMOC. He delivered the audio/visual movie reels and slide projectors to the classrooms. When I saw Star Wars for the first time, I never connected "Harrison" Ford to the "Harry" Ford in school.

-Babka

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

Not all of this year's eyes will die, especially if they don't flower. A lot of different varieties will keep building up a single eye and that same eye comes back again and again until it becomes mature enough to flower or start developing dormant side buds. In the fall you can peel back this year's growth on a non-flowering eye to find the largest dormant bud will be at the center of it.

In the spring I find that the multiple eye plants were those that flowered and flowering seems to be what causes an eye to complete its life on most varieties. A single eye plant can keep coming back from the same single eye for several seasons. It isn't actually a new eye that formed next to it but is the same eye again and again.

So what you are saying is sort of true on older plants, though again, if they don't flower that central eye can still come back with smaller side eyes around it.

Hope that helps to clarify it a little.

Chris

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Thanks, Chris. Whenever I have pulled off old leaves I saw new litty-bitty eyes at the base. I never thought about noticing if the eye had flowered or not. Hmmmmmmmmm. So flowering marks the end of a particular eye. Makes sense, to complete the life cycle. Does it vary among the different species? I am going to have to be more observant. I just normally go cutting off flower spikes as they form and never paid attention. Your hosta knowledge is incredible, Chris.

Wish I could edit the subject line to "NOT all of this years' eyes will die"
    -Babka

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

like this?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Except, Bragu, it doesn't show up that way in the original post. The "NOT" is only on your reply. Nuts.

-Babka

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

yeah, i find it strange how even the original author can't amend their posts' titles ... although I know how a link list works ... still.

yup.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

After reading Chris's explanation I immediately thought of Great Expectations. Years ago, when I grew my first GE ever, it had one eye for the longest time, never flowered and did not increase for at least three years (different to and an improvement in growth in subsequent years on newer plants).

As far as perennials go (my main passion which hostas headline) I find that once a flower is formed and spent, that eye is spent also but rarely observed that it's gone because of all the new eyes/growth. It is easier to note on herbaceous hibiscus, hens-and-chicks (best example), tall sedums, euphorbias, lupine, etc just to name a few.

Chris, your remarks are the best explanation ever!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH