Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr66

Hosta "Hacksaw"

jimr66
9 years ago

A cool mini I picked up last year. It seems to be settling in well.

Comments (15)

• User
    9 years ago

Nice one, Jim. Reminds me of my Curly Fries.

That is Solomon Shield, right? I've never seen it growing here. guess I'll have to see why it isn't used in our southern gardens. I do admire it.

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

actually Mocc. it's called creeping jenny here (Lysimachia nummularia "aurea")

I don't know if that is the common name in your parts. Very invasive, but easy to rip out if you need to.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Love that hosta and also the Creeping Jenny! Mocc, it will work great in a pot, so you could plant it in the base of some blue hostas and it would be beautiful :)

• User
    9 years ago

Jim, thanks for the latin name of creeping jenny. I haven't seen it around this area, maybe another variety of it, cause we have so many many vigorous growing plants. I'll check into it. Might as well have something nice looking that is invasive as something that is gruesome.

Edit to include comment for Lavendargirll.
    I had not even thought of putting it in a pot. Where was my mind! I'll have to read more about it, like does it go dormant too...and spread like ajuga and liriope and vinca minor. I can deal with all of those, just not with ivy (hedera helix)

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 11:43

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

We use Lysimachia in our hanging baskets to great effect. It's actually a marginal and will do quite nicely in the shallowest parts of a pond.

Pieter

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Jim, not sure if Hacksaw in rhizomatous but it seems the divisions have spread out on mine.

Paul

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul I believe you are correct, mine has sent out 3 or4 divisions this year.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

While 'Hacksaw' is not on Don Rawson's list of rhizomatous hostas, it certainly does exhibit a spreading growth habit, not unlike most of the Tiara family.

Pieter

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhizomatous Hosta List

• User
    9 years ago

I don't have Hacksaw, but I looked it up and it is a cross between Atom Smasher x Stiletto.

I have yellow Atom Smasher.

Also, Hacksaw progeny includes The Razor's Edge (PP x Atom Smasher). I have The Razor's Edge. No idea what the other offspring Jello might look like. Quivery?

Had no idea of the relationship of the three hosta. It sure does make it more interesting. Now, did he get the rhizomatous nature from Stiletto or Atom Smasher?

Here are the related ones that I have.
    Atom Smasher yellow as a lemon!

The Razor's Edge in the middle of a bunch of Verna Jean
    This was May29 2014 and it still looks good today.

• User
    9 years ago

Pieter, I don't find a Tiara family member on the rhizomatous hosta list. I do find several of the hosta I have though.

Should we discuss this here or take it to a new thread?

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    9 years ago

I purchased one pot of Hacksaw about 3-4 yrs ago and split it into 3 tiny clumps to plant. This photo from this spring shows the spacing when it first came up. Must be spreading by itself, cuz I sure didn't plant it like that!

I just let it do whatever it wants for now.

To Moccassinlanding, I signed up on here a couple yrs ago, but I don't get a chance to get on very often. Thanks for your compliments on some of my photos/hosta.

Best all!

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

sure do like this one ⦠reminiscent of stiletto, another small â¦

This post was edited by bragu on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 13:48

• User
    9 years ago

Hi there Windchime! So pleased you "chimed" in for this thread with another of your plants. Good to see you are around this summer.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

Pieter, I don't find a Tiara family member on the rhizomatous hosta list. I do find several of the hosta I have though.
    Should we discuss this here or take it to a new thread?

Fair point, Barbara. It really wasn't my intention to hijack the thread, just sorta threw it in as a comment.

As you know I do the hosting for Don's lists and he and I have had several discussions over the years I've been doing that on what should and should not be on any given list, in particular the Rhizomatous List. Don has his reasons for using a particular yardstick for inclusion/exclusion and I abide by those, after all he's the list originator. I'll have to look in my old e-mails when I get home and see if I can find the exchange we had on the subject so we can all have his perspective on it. When I find it I'll use a new thread.

Pieter

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks, Pieter. It is a subject I am interested in knowing more about. Knowing how to recognize the signs of it.
    I'll look for it. I want to make sure I can find it again in the future. Some things just disappear it seems.