Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steeltowninwv

touch of class hosta....in sun or shade?

steeltowninwv
9 years ago

I know it candle some sun...but I would like to see examples of it in shade and sun..if anyone can help please show me pics...mine is in a pot in pretty good shade right now, so it can be moved easily

Comments (8)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Bought mine in 2012. Grows in a pot in the shade. It grows under a mature maple tree. Seems to like its placement. Bought a two eyed plant in 2012. In 2013 it had 8 eyes. Now in 2014 we are up to 13.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

This touch of Class was purchased with 3 shoots in 2012 and to date has 16 shoots this year . It is in filtered shade for most of the day until 3pm to 6 but I also have one that is by my waterfall and gets less sun yet and does just as good with 22 shoots. One of my favorite hosta this year and even won over my June this year .

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

I don't have TOC in sun, but I've grown June and Halcyon in sun, so I can speak from that experience:

In sun, TOC will be more of a gold in the center and if it's a lot of sun, it will lose the waxy coating, and the blue will turn to a dark-ish green.

• User
    9 years ago

NHL, my TOC came in 2012 but has less size than yours. I try to keep it in good shade but cannot do anything about the heat.

Here it is this year in the "blues" corner

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Mine is in very bright shade, might get a touch of morning sun, bit by bit.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Moc, it may just be that the heat is preventing your TofC to grow at a faster pace. All in all, your TofC is not as large as mine in comparison, but yours has lovely coloring. The gold is quite prominent and the blue is very pretty. Perhaps next year will be a "leap year" for your TofC. I hope so.

• User
    9 years ago

I'll have to take note of TOC more in the coming weeks. The heat is intense, the humidity so high, it's hard to figure whether they need more moisture or a good steady breeze. It felt like I was breathing underwater today!

I'm about to move the blues ("lose the blues" sounds like a good song title) to a section of the main hosta garden in a week or so. Almost done with renewing the cypress mulch and straightening the Moon Walk pavers. Not much more to do with terracing or raising some areas behind the low bleachers. The cement or cinder blocks serve for more than low bleachers....they anchor the mulch and allow for terracing the slight slope of the garden. I don't want runoff through the property nor do I want to dump rainwater on my neighbors if nature intended it to fall HERE. :)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm