Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

My hostas from Made in the Shade arrived!

esther_b
10 years ago

Don't have time to do pics tonight, but I wanted to share with you that I just received 3 gorgeous specimens of Sparkler, Yellow Polka Dot Bikini (huge plant!) and High Society today. Due to a weird incident (this is, after all, New Yawk), I was robbed of the hour of time I needed to plant them before sunset. So, that will have to occur tomorrow after school.

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, Esther, you scared me when I read, "I was robbed......." and I held my breath. .......("this is, after all, New Yawk")......

Esther, you are so fun. I'm so excited for your happy new arrivals.

Oops, mercy, it is raining again.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not so far off, Moccasin. Yesterday afternoon, I pulled into a pharmacy parking lot because they have a Redbox DVD kiosk machine outside the door. I wanted to rent a video. This shabby looking young black hoodrat comes strolling up to my car window and peers in, asking for money. I told him to back off before I shot him. I did not want to get out of my car with this menacing animal parading around the parking lot. I watched him solicit money from all cars who pulled into the parking lot. I then called 911. They took the info and I waited. And waited. It got very hot in my car with the windows closed. When he got busy with someone else on the other side of the parking lot, I got out of my car and went into the pharmacy. I told the manager, who came outside with me. Guy was still there in his dirty looking clothing and ball cap. After a total of THREE 911 calls, and NO cops arriving, we took matters into our own hands. I finally ran this waste of oxygen and space off myself, all 5'2" of me. He took off down the street toward some low income housing. And stay there, buddy. I am just ticked off that this delayed me about 45 minutes or longer, and so I didn't get to plant my new hostas.

Meanwhile, once I was on my way, I went to a local nursery and finally found a beautiful plain rimless stark white 10" glazed pot which rose vertically about 14". So it has a small footprint. Then I went to Home Depot to acquire a length of vinyl clad airplane cable and the hardware needed to make loops on either end (you crimp the tubes with a pliers once the cable is inside. I will make a loop inside the pot up through its single drainage hole (still large enough for drainage) and another loop at the other end. Then I can loop the free end around the tree in the hosta garden and put a lock on it, so it doesn't get stolen like last year's beautiful garden rock.

This is NYC, baby. Where getting a DVD or putting a pot in your garden can be challenging. Don't mess with Es. Evah.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Hey Esther, My sister ownes Zanies comedy club. There are 5 I think, Chicago area and Nashville. If you don't have a manager I'd be happy to represent you. I've got the big connection. When ever you want to do a little stand up you just let me know. You crack me up. Hosta gardening NY style. WW

P.S. Ken this offer goes to you to MAN!

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Hey Esther, My sister ownes Zanies comedy club. There are 5 I think, Chicago area and Nashville. If you don't have a manager I'd be happy to represent you. I've got the big connection. When ever you want to do a little stand up you just let me know. You crack me up. Hosta gardening NY style. WW

P.S. Ken this offer goes to you to MAN!

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Oops! WW

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wilderness: I have been asked to do stand-up comedy many times. I believe I mentioned that I am 5'2". I couldn't be a stand-up comedian because no one would know when I WAS standing up!

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Esther, can't help with the stand up situation. But I did help a girlfriend who had your car problem once. We brought her Guchi shoulder bag to a leathersmith and had him sew a small holster at the opening to hold a North American Arms .22 cal Magnum centerfire 5 shot, no larger than a Derringer.

She did have a "Carry License" in Indiana, which is probably not legal in New York. It came in handy once when 5 surrounded her big luxury sedan. She only had to unsnap the bag, exposing the gun and the bullies bugged out.

Isn't it amazing the stories you remember when your hair is white?
    Theresa

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I have no doubt that with "Nanny Bloomberg" (may he drop dead at his earliest convenience, or even sooner) there would be no carry licenses around here. Besides, with these incidents far from rare around here, I would surely get a "no littering" ticket from some skinhead cop.

I just installed (in the battering rain leftovers from Hurricane Andrea) a stark white glazed ceramic pot in my hosta garden, mounted atop an adorable wire cat-face Halloween decoration. It was 75% off after Halloween, who could resist? It was meant to have a pumpkin sit on the shelf behind the face, but I substituted this snow-white utterly plain (doesn't even have a rim) tall narrow pot, the better to show off the kitty face. But you better believe it is chained to the tree in the middle of the garden with 1/4" airplane cable coming out through its drainage hole and a sturdy lock. Last year, some lowlife stole the beautiful white rock I'd placed in the garden in this very spot. Now try it, scum-of-the-earth.

I absolutely MUST take pics of this cat-face creation to share with you guys. It came out sooo cute, and the bright yellow tuberous begonias and fuschia/yellow callibrachoa planted in the pot lend a spot of needed color to the hosta garden, a focus.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Man Esther, if you were "packing heat" that would definitely qualify for the-- You Know Your a Hostaholic When..... top 10. :) WW

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You KNOW you're a hostaholic when...you supply a perp who's delaying your planting of your new hostas with their daily dose of LEAD.

"You're not a very high caliber person for menacing me and thus delaying my planting of my new hosta...but I can fix that..."

"You don't get out of here, you're gonna be Bobbsey twins with any and all bagels...full of holes..."

"What part of B-A-N-G don't you understand?"

"I've seen higher class compost than you."

"You say you need money? For what? Your funeral? Fuhgeddaboutit!!"

"Son, if you don't get FAR away from this car, the Sum of your Substance gonna be nuthin' but Puddles and Bumps. Wheeeee!"

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

esther,
    Before I moved to Sweden I lived in NYC in Manhattan for 20 years.Being a frustrated gardener,me and 2 other people in our ''block association'' Decided to build small fences around the tree pits and plant impatiens.
    Needless to stay it was a battle keeping dogs and idiots out.We would do what we would call stoop patrol,checking any mischief out.
    I remember putting 2 large pots of plants by our front door.They lasted a few hours and then disappeared.I admire you gardening with lockdown going on.You are very ingenious with stopping the theft.Your post brought back memories.Most gardeners worry about squirrels and other 4 legged creatures,in NYC you have to deal with the 2 legged ones.
    James

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

esther,
    Before I moved to Sweden I lived in NYC in Manhattan for 20 years.Being a frustrated gardener,me and 2 other people in our ''block association'' Decided to build small fences around the tree pits and plant impatiens.
    Needless to stay it was a battle keeping dogs and idiots out.We would do what we would call stoop patrol,checking any mischief out.
    I remember putting 2 large pots of plants by our front door.They lasted a few hours and then disappeared.I admire you gardening with lockdown going on.You are very ingenious with stopping the theft.Your post brought back memories.Most gardeners worry about squirrels and other 4 legged creatures,in NYC you have to deal with the 2 legged ones.
    James