Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostas_for_barb_6b_on_canada

Help Identifying Hosta

hostas_for_barb
9 years ago

I have this hosta planted in full sun but don't know what it is. It has 8 vein pairs and turns lighter as the season goes with a deeper green margin. Any suggestions? It has been planted where it is about 2 years. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Comments (30)

• User
    9 years ago

Hi and welcome to the Hosta Forum. You've come to the right place for an ID, although I might not be the one to provide it.

It is, however, my favorite variegation....gold midleaf and a narrow green margin almost painted on. Like eye liner is the way I describe it.

One that comes to mind is Hoosier Harmony. It is a fragrant hosta and is one of my favorites.

I recommend you check it out at the Hosta Library with the link I'll include below. There are several pictures to view.

If you have any information about bloom time and color of the flowers that would be helpful to know. Sometimes it is the deciding bit of information required for a dependable ID.

Another one to check is Smooth Sailing. I do not think it could be a Gold Standard which also has the narrow green margin, with a different shaped leaf.

Someone else will be by shortly, to help. With as many hosta as our forum members grow, someone should have one in their garden. Let's hope they drop in to answer your question.

I note you registered at GWeb today. And, you are Canadian. We have a lot of very neighborly Canadians quite active on the forum. You should feel right at home.

Here is a link that might be useful: HostaLibrary.org

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Do you know where you got the hosta? A specialty hosta nursery or other retailer? The larger big box stores don't carry the newest introductions right away. Off the top of my head, it appears to be a young Gold Standard. The juvenile leaves of many hostas have longer pointier leaves. But there are many, many with similar coloring and sometimes you need to wait a few years for the mature leaves to show before you can get more definitive. Watch for when it flowers and what they look like, and as Mocc suggests above, see if they are fragrant. With Gold Standard, you will probably know by next year

-Babka

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Possibly On Stage.

Paul

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all:

Wow, thanks for the quick response! I was so excited to wake up this morning with suggestions. It was Father's Day so I couldn't get into my hosta books and on the internet and in the garden until later.

Moccasin, thanks for the welcome. I looked into Hoosier Harmony and from the Hosta registry I read that it is very shiny on top and bottom. I checked and mine is not.

Smooth Sailing has too many vein pairs - 14-15. Mine has just 8 or 9.

Bapka, Gold Standard seemed a good fit but the pictures I saw didn't look quite right. The green margin is so much darker than mine. I suspect this hosta was purchased at a hort. society sale or I divided one of my own. Now, of course you would think I would recognize another similar hosta in my yard but .... This one is in full sun and I don't have too many in full sun, so they may look quite different.

Paul, the pictures I saw of On Stage 'irregularly streaks toward the midrib'. My hosta does not do this - granted it is young but I don't know.

But all of this research got me thinking. Is there a chance this one is Eye Declare? I have Eye Declare in the front yard with a different sun siting but my Eye Declare does look kind of similar. Any comments? Could it be Eye Declare?

I have another one that I think I know but would like to know your thoughts. It is only a couple of years old and I certainly don't remember buying this one.
    Any suggestions as to what this beauty could be? Seems to be a slow grower.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the one above is great expectations ...

listen close: vein count only works on mature plants .. otherwise its variable with age ... the plant way up top.. is at least 5 years short of mature .. ya!!!!

and.. as to the first.. the pic is poorly lit ... and i think its throwing off our perception of the true colors ..

welcome ... hope to see you around ... and did i mention.. i hate you for having a GE like that... i have grown about 20 of them.. and none ever made it that far ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It looks like my now deceased, "Step-son". I bought it as September Sun. It didn't look anything like September Sun. Chris said it looked like a cull from some variety or another. Sorry, I've slept since then.

bk

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Ken. I am relatively new to this Hosta collecting and obviously still learning. I don't know how you can identify them so quickly. It is taking me quite a while to recognize the subtle differences and to become more attuned to them.

I have one more picture of the one you identified as 'Great Expectations'. I probably should have posted this one first. This was last year when it was blooming. I was told by a fellow gardener not to move it as it is a little finicky. (I guess you would probably agree if you have had 20) 'Great Expectations' is what she thought it was too so you have now confirmed that for me. Any specific things you have learned about this one and its likes and dislikes?

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input BK. Sorry for your loss. It does look a little like step-son. Is this a new cultivar? I can't find it listed in the hosta registry or
    the hosta library.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you did understand... all of my 20 died.. right???

dont touch that thing.. ever ...

ken

• LRB3
    9 years ago

The two that came to mind for me (with the caveat that I'm really not good at identifying hosta) are Paradise Power and Eye Declare. I believe the leaf shape is closer to Eye Declare than Paradise Power.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LRB3 did you suggest Eye Declare after reading my later post or did you figure that one out from the PIC? I think you are right. I have Eye Declare in the front yard and may very well have divided it. The two look a little different but the characteristics just seem to fit Eye Declare. It is doing quite well in full sun and I am happy about that. Makes it a good candidate for a few sunny spots I have that need to be filled. Thanks for you input!

• LRB3
    9 years ago

Actually, I got so distracted by the Great Expectations photo that I totally missed you guessing Eye Declare. :) I suggested Eye Declare based on the coloration of mine. However, mine's potted and doesn't look like yours except for the coloration.

I did think of a 3rd option - Yesterday's Memories. Mine has similar coloration to yours, but it's also in fairly heavy shade so the colors don't really change all that much.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Ooooo, Yesterday's Memories... Love that one!

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

LRB3, now my ears are perking up because of the mention of Yesterday's Memories......And I have one which was my biggest surprise of the spring because it looks like it took steroids over the winter. And then it is in the middle of blooming some exceptional purple flowers on about TEN SCAPES. So I'm ready to drop a picture of that boy-o on an instant's notice.

Here it is. See if you will be happy to discover your NOID is possibly Yesterday's Memories....sport of Squash Casserole.....brother to Key Lime Pie, another sport of Squash Casserole. /This taken on May 19 2014

May 31 2014 in full glorious bloom. This shot is cooler of color. than the first one. Taken beneath some shade where I moved it out of full sun until 2pm. Now morning sun. But in the description of Squash Casserole, Tony Avent says it can take southern heat with adequate moisture.....which I make sure to give this family

I could put up the young Key Lime Pie with its light slightly ruffled margin, this is its 2nd growing season here. It is getting "the look" of its family already.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

The variety of responses you got is really interesting. Obviously, we all see characteristics that others miss. My first guess would be Stained Glass, but it also looks a bit like a young Inniswood.

Steve

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Steve: I was quite happy with Eye Declare until you posted. The problem is that I have both Stained Glass and Inniswood. There was no tag with this hosta so either it was a bonus (Hosta fishing) from another purchase or I divided it myself and forgot what I divided. Someone else that I showed the picture thought it was Stained Glass as well but I just didn't see it. I am much more carefull with my labeling now. But this one snuck through and it does so well in full sun and is so pretty. I guess I will have to wait until it flowers and then post a pick. And see who else in the yard is also flowering. Thanks for your input.
    Barb

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Barb/Steve,

Actually, Stained Glass AND Guacamole did cross my mind, I also have seen young specimens that look quite similar to Barb's hosta.

Indeed Barb, please do post a flower pic when it blooms; A very good chance you and the forum can solve your mystery. It's a nice plant, whatever it may be.

Cheers!
    Don B.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Don: Of course I have 'guacamole' as well. I guess because this one is young it just doesnt look quite like any of these mature clumps that i have. Ah the challenge of hosta identification! Will be sure to post a follow up PIC. Thanks for posting.
    Barb

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I'm still trying to identify this NOID and thought I would try posting another PIC. I'm now leaning towards Guacamole. My mature Guac is almost flowering. Any thoughts with this new PIC?

• User
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful hosta, but .....
    Well, I never saw a Guacamole turn that creamy avocado butter color in the middle before. Mine, even in zone 9a, does not go that lutescent. The only ones I have look like that are Brenda's Beauty and Gold Standard, and Vanilla Cream with no green margin. Stained Glass has a shorter rounder leaf too.

Here is my Guacamole, which is in bloom now. This picture taken July 29, 2014.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi mocc: I have guacc too and you are right, it isn't as light in colour. I am at a loss as I really think I may have divided something I have but nothing I have is that light in colour with that shape. I declare is quite light but is scaping now and I don't think the flowers are the same? There is something about its shape that doesn't look quite right for stained glass. I will take another PIC when she blooms.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the NOID in flower and it is a fragrant. Does this make the ID easier?

• User
    9 years ago

I'm looking at this and seeing big ole shoe sole leaves, which is definitely a fragrant hosta family trait.

Have you looked at Hoosier Harmony? The narrow green margins, it turns golden as the season wears on. The picture of it in bloom is not as albescent as the first one, this one is a golden color. Absolutely PERFECT, and my favorite variegation pattern.

This picture was from 2013 July.
    Hoosier Harmony is a sport of Royal Standard. It sported to have Catch of The Day, which is another option, it too has the green margin (although it is said to be a WIDER green margin) and gold middle. It is from 2011, so might be within the realm of possibility too. But I think HHarmony is more an option. Only, it says WHITE FLOWERS .... and yours are definitely soft lavender. Gorgeous hosta!

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi mocc: l looked closely at the NOID flowers today. They are a pale lavender. I actually pulled off flowers from Stained Glass and Guacamole to compare with the NOID since all are blooming. Guaac has almost white flowers where as SS were more mauve. I checked Hoosier Harmony in my Hostapedia and it said white flowers. So I think I have eliminated HH and Guacc. My only concern with SS is that my NOID has only 8 vein pairs and my SS has 10 or 11. Maybe this is due to this NOID being young - 2 years???

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

FWIW, Barb when vein pairs are quoted in books, they refer to vein pairs in mature plants....therefore, you guessed it, your plant is too young yet to give you an accurate vein count to narrow your hunt for an ID. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but hope you will get it identified. :-)

Jo

• BetsyKristl
    9 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie at hosta id's, but it sure looks like my Stained Glass hosta, which lived in too much sun for a little while. It's darker since I moved it, but given about a year I might be able to find a pic of it when it was in the sunnier location.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jo & Betsy: Thanks for you input. Betsy it is reassuring to hear that you had a similar looking Stained Glass. I have one too but it is in shade and just looks so different. I suspect I divided it and kept one of the divisions. At least I know it will take full sun.

I have a young June that I moved into the sun. I think I will need to get a second one as it was so pretty in the shade. I have more sunny spots than shady so I am always watching for Hosta that will tolerate full sun.

Jo I will save my vein pair counting for the mature Hosta.

Barb

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Me likee Stained Glass...

Don B.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don: you have a beautiful SS. My mother plant is a few years old and she just glows this time of year - even without the sun on her. Her daughter is definetly more butter coloured.

Stained Glass

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I just got that one last season. Yours looks great, Barb; The color is fantastic.

Don B.