Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Hosta bed evolution - start to finish!

Looks like we have a lot of pics of whole beds right now, so I thought I would throw in the bed that I made last year.

First, a pic of it BEFORE (this was Spring of 2013):

I had pulled english ivy (hate that stuff!) out of about half of the bed at this point and we had to go ahead and dump the remainder of a truckload of much in there to get it off of the grass as fast as possible, so just stuck it in there where I had already weeded,etc.

By the beginning of Summer, I had 90% of it pulled of the ivy and was starting to place everything where I wanted it.
Stayed like this for a while as I was making last minute decisions.

Can't seem to find a pic of everything planted last year, although I know I took plenty. I should note that at the very beginning of spring, before the hostas were up, the tree in this bed split down the middle and we only have half of it left, so you'll see it's replacement in the next pic.

Here's a pic of everything coming up this Spring. This is when I decided to extend the bed so that my hostas could be seen from the road as well--a little curb appeal, if you will. You can see the new part around the back curve of the bed.

Just a bit later...

Here's a pic with the hostas being decided upon in the new extension, they have roller skates until I'm sure, then they go in the ground!

and here's a recent pic. It's grown so much since last year! This bed is about 18 x 22 on the two shortest sides (sorry, can't remember exact dimensions and it's dark outside right now!) Looking good now. Loving it.

One more:

If you stuck with it this long, thanks! Wait until you see the next project--yikes :o

Comments (4)

• shrubbish
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The bed looks beautiful and it great that you took picture of the different steps. I keep forgetting to do that for my creations.

• User
    9 years ago

Good job, Funn. You are enjoying it I bet. I note you justified increasing the size of the hosta bed by claiming (with justification I am sure) that it helps curb appeal. Now that is a very good point you make. What spouse does not wish to increase the value of the property. I had not thought of that one. Smart cookie!

I don't generally do ONE project at a time and it is also hard to tell when I am finished. I begin with a perfunctory layer of effort. Like I test out the plan with some small changes that can be easily reversed if I change my mind. Pots help with that, since they are moved around somewhat easily. I move umbrellas into spots to test the effect of shade. Does it need to be more this way or more that way.....where is the sun on the longest day of the year (which is coming up in a week or so). That day I take lots of pictures of shade patterns.

At this time, I am working on both ends of my 100 foot long hosta "Back40". The north end in the morning when it is cooler. The south end in the afternoon when it is shadier. I also water the north end while I work on the south end. After dinner I don't work on any projects, but I am back in the garden with a fresh eye to see if I am on the right track with my work.
    (south end bricks laid)

NORTH end in May 2012

beginning a raised section, filling and moving

Tall latticed screen will run from the Teahouse on right to workshop on left, which is 40 feet, with openings near both ends.

This is what will be the objective for the entire space...to make it look like this or even better in my secret garden
    And yes, that is Squash Casserole out in the sun!

Hopefully my fence guy will be here first week of July to construct a square-lattice screen 10 foot high and 40 foot wide to provide summer shade of an afternoon for my north end hosta. I thought about this for a couple of years before deciding how to shade the area. I'll also steal some more hosta room from the lawn so there will be another raised bed for in-ground hosta, a garden bench, and more huge containers for the giant hosta which happened to find their way to my house.

During the recent rains I've frequently walked the lawn and garden to identify low spots or sloping ground which could be corrected as I design the hosta bleachers and raised beds.

My criteria is to make it primarily esthetically pleasing and functional with adequate sunlight at the right time of day.
    If my eyes are not fooling me, the heavy substanced gold hosta can take a lot more afternoon sun than I suspected. It is mid-June tomorrow and so far no crispy critters. Oh a few leaves got burned when tender new hosta got a dose of sun in the beginning. But of the hosta conditioned to the climate and having good substance, NO crispy critters. This includes some greens which tend to gold in the sun, in the plantaginea family. I am really looking forward to having that tall sun screen up. Until then, I have my army of umbrellas positioned as required.

I really would like to see more of your "curb appeal" beds, Funn.

• look4angel
    9 years ago

These gardens are beautiful! I love the start to finish photos! They give me hope! Penny

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Great job. Way to tame that wild bed. Nice selection of plants. I can't wait to see it next year!