Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pandora_gw

Did I miss 2014 Secret Swap??

pandora
9 years ago

Could we pretty please coax someone into it?

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Pandora. I'm not familiar with a secret swap. As far as I know since I've been coming to the Hosta Forum (late 2011) heard no mention of swaps. Never experienced one.

Glad you came back to join the fun though. :)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I don't know about you, but I would not want a hosta from someone I did not know.

bk

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I was involved with the secret swap?

The lady that lives behind me never caught on...

It IS still a swap if only one person gets a Hosta isn't it?

;)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

History: There used to be lots of swaps here. Secret swaps were where you sent your name in to person in charge saying you wished to participate. That person would collect the names list then pair them up. You then would get the name and address of a person and send them some hosta divisions. And someone else would get your name and send you some. People here had a lot of fun reporting what they got in their surprise boxes.

When HVX arrived on the scene all that stopped.

-Babka

• look4angel
    9 years ago

New here what is HVX?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi, look4angel. Welcome to the forum. HVX is a nasty virus that infects hostas. Click the link, and your question will be answered in detail.

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Hosta Virus X' Link from The Hosta Library

• pandora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Babka,
    I understand. My hostas are established and would not want to risk them.
    It was great fun while it lasted.

Guess I'll swap some plastic on a road trip. :)
    That's fun too.

I've been away from being really active in the forum for a few years, boy, has it slowed down.

This post was edited by pandora on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 10:10

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Pandora. I was about to ask about your post just above until you edited out "credit card" because it made me think there was such involved with the secret swapping. I'd always thought it was a straight swap, such as that. Being a (former) blonde, it sort of confused me....but now I'm straight.

You don't HAVE to take a road trip, but take the plastic with you and a big container (preferably collapsible) just in case you run across some hosta wanting to come home. Since you live in Ohio if it were myself, I'd be spending a couple of days camped out at Van Wade's spots! His gardens have to be world class.

• pandora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mocc, yes, it was at least one named hosta for named hosta.
    I edited the post because an advertisement highjacked my post.

Hee hee, yep, Wade&Gatton came to mind. I've only been there 3-4 times.
    It's mind boggling.

Actually due to job change long hours and at best one hour drive each way, I've ignored flower gardens 3 years and most everything else. Whew!
    Now retired and cleaning hosta beds, found some bare spots.
    Even DH said let's take a trip to that hosta place. Lol

• User
    9 years ago

Well, Pandora, it sounds to me like it is time for you to open that HOSTA BOX.

If you don't have one, be sure to look at Wade's Clear Fork River Valley. It is so good.....plus it sets fat seedpods.

And if you like yellow leaves. find his Zitronenfelter (yellow butterfly). Like the butterfly of hope that Pandora released into the world.

In case you don't know, I am a container hosta gardener.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Real party killer, that HVX. I wouldn't worry for myself about trades with other form folks, but I'd be mortified if I sent something icky. 90% of mine come from very trusted sources! But that slim chance is always there. Nothing worth jeopardizing the beautiful gardens ya'll show me every day!

And I'm only one year in, but I can barely keep up with this forum as it is! :)