Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

Your Favorite Shade Garden Beds

hostahillbilly
11 years ago

Perhaps we could share pics of our favorite shade garden beds, without the pressure of IDing every plant in the shot. Just a general shot of an area of your garden that pleases you.

I'll start:

Welcome Bear Bed

hh

Comments (34)

• User
    11 years ago

Do not have any hosta bed except for three plants at one end of the Teahouse. I like that bed though. It gets morning sun, plus a wee bit of afternoon sun until the shank of the day.

Now the three hosta are to the LEFT at that end of the Teahouse.

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Nice to see you posting again HH. Keep the pictures coming.

Moccasinlanding, do you have to take that elephant ear inside in winter? I've been taking one inside and out for 2 years. Last winter it took over the dining room. Next year it may need it's own room entirely.

Here are a couple pictures of my wooded gardens. The first one has Frosted Jade at the front. It taken standing up against the house outside the kitchen window. The living room is to the left.

Zippity Do Dah in the forefront.

Looking deeper into the woods. This is where I'm hoping to work today if it ever stops raining. Do you see the 2 log chairs? They were made by my neighbors kind husband. She's new to the forum and calls herself 'almosthooked' - talk about self-delusion and denial! You should see her gardens in only one year. Myrle

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

This is the deck edge bed with H.'Great Expectations', two 'Liberties', and an 'Elegans' in the back, hob{{gwi:1046994}}nobbing with some heucheras.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

The 'Shed Bed' was planted last fall in a space vacated by the demise of a play house. These babies are competing with a mature spruce.
    Jan

{{gwi:1046995}}

• luckykat13
    11 years ago

Here's a couple of my beds.

Thanks for viewing:) Gail

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Early morning sun is all this area gets. Pic taken in early spring. One of my favored vignettes.

{{gwi:279435}}

tj

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

This is my initial hosta garden after my move from Arkansas and measure 16 feet deep x 35 feet wide. The Guacamole in the foreground is 50" across.

This is a 3 year old garden being created under an American Black Walnut tree. This year once I get the weeds cleared out of it I hope to improve on the photos. My lawn reflects the mole damage I have had the past 2 years.

Les

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Well,after seeing these garden beds,I wonder if my woodland garden beds look worthy! Here's one of mine. Phil

{{gwi:970447}}

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Mctavish, those are the biggest Great X leaves I have seen to date..

Lots of places to sit and drink a morning coffee in this thread.

its hard to compete with some of your gardens...

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

And yet another. Sorry,my beds aren't even in the category of the rest of you! Phil

{{gwi:970825}}

• irawon
    11 years ago

Love looking at other people's gardens and how they have put them together. I get so many ideas for mine, which are always a work in progress.

I decided to plant mostly minis in this bed but they haven't developed enough to be the center of attraction. The hosta in the center is 'Grand Tiara' which probably should have been divided this spring. Oh well, there's always next year.

• irawon
    11 years ago

This is the first year I've actually liked 'Guacamole' since some variegation has developed. I was also going to divide the three 'Wolverine' in the picture. Didn't get done. I'm hoping to finally be able to divide Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate', which doesn't seem to be as invasive as the others (white, blue, especially fuschia).

• irawon
    11 years ago

Don't really know why I find this section of the garden more pleasing - probably the blues which are restful to the eyes.

• User
    11 years ago

HostaFreak, either your green vase shrank or Sagae and his companions are dwarfing it! The hail did not do any lasting damage after all.

Wha-choo mean, yours do not compare......mine are all reckless abandon, and yours are elegant.

I recall the first views of LuckyCat13's beds and see how they've filled in, and I make a mental note: we all have different ideas of what a garden should look like, and what amount of time we can spend making it look the way we like.
    Those are some very straight and clean borders, the lawn is comprised of lush dense grass, and I am envious. However, I can admire this and not try to emulate it.

Seems I remember HostaLes had a downed maple tree somewhere in the Maple Garden. You'd never know it by looking at that photo though. Glad to see Theresa's Angel Garden, but where is the whiskey barrel? Am I confused again?

TsugaJunkie and JanOn use those red leaved plants so beautifully, it sets off the hosta very well. I like the red lacy Japanese maple, and all those nice heuchera.

Irawon, you make me almost think about NOT pulling up the tradescantia that grows prolifically and WILDY in my yard. It really looks like a flower for your space.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Sometime the best combination plantings that you like happen by accident. The only hostas that were planned are the green ones in the back which I've had forever. I like 'June' in front of 'Halcyon' the parent. The miniature iris just happened to be there before.

• irawon
    11 years ago

This corner of my bed in front of m. 'Aureomarginata' was supposed to be the risque corner, 'Striptease' with 'Hanky Panky' and 'Illicit Affair'. IA didn't live up to my expectations.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Can you tell I love 'Dream Queen'

• irawon
    11 years ago

'Risky Business' is doing well in this location. So is the dandelion bottom left.

• irawon
    11 years ago

This pathway happened by accident when I extended a bed to meet up with a lonely Weigela 'Red Prince 'stuck out in the lawn all by itsel. The extension was a lasagna bed and the field rock was used to anchor the newspapre layers under top soil. I've found that sedum is more shade tolerant than I was led to believe.

• irawon
    11 years ago

The grass between the bench and the mature hostas wasn't growing well, so I added a pathway with left-over interlocking blocks. i would have preferred more natural stone but what the heck, I can always replace them in future. Scotch grass around pavers has really grown well for me and I like the effect.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

As it now looks, and new plantings are starting. Two Serendipity are to be moved up to the new front, a Stained Glass is planted(looks kind of tiny and lonely doesn't it), a Fried Green Tomatoes is waiting inmy Morning Glory Garden to be moved in, etc. The sunny North end(nearest) will be anchored with adrift of three plantaginea. The closest end will be the fragrant one with a Fragrant Bouquet to be relocated from the far side.

Moccasin, my Theresa's Angel Garden has the Grecean Urn. The whiskey barrel is outside my kitchen window with a piece of the hose that tripped me up used as a long straw (NEVER take me serious!).

Maybe by the next time we are posting our favorite gardens my NEW "Maple Garden" and GROWN-UP "Theresa's Angel Garden" will be ready.

Les

• garybr
    11 years ago

I love seeing all the different gardens! Very inspiring. Here's one of my gardens.

• Lee
    11 years ago

• mbug_gw
    11 years ago

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    11 years ago

Jan, where in Ontario do you live?

{{gwi:1047008}}

• mbug_gw
    11 years ago

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Paula - I live in London, but I grew up in Blackstock, not too far from you in Uxbridge.
    Love your gargoyle - he looks pretty serious about his job of watching over the hostas!
    Jan

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

What marvelous gardens you all have!

Phil, your gardens are always favorites of mine and an inspiration-ever since I first discovered this forum!

I will try to get a couple of pics when I get home from school tomorrow. Mine don't hold a candle to any of yours and I have way more weeds, but I feel like I am sort of getting there (wherever there is!).

I love this thread!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    11 years ago

Jan, I lived in Port Perry for 12 years. When my kids were little they played hockey at the arena in Blackstock. One of my closest friends lives in St. Thomas.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Paula - We're practically related!!!
    Jan

• Hostarina
    11 years ago

Oh, I hope you two make plans to meet & swap hosta!
    ...Delicious thread. Here are two views of my pot ghetto !

• mbug_gw
    11 years ago

hostarina...both look stunning!

• rmac78
    11 years ago

A little Sun Power hanging around some full sun plants

Ryan

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH