Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evermore_gw

Hosta of the Day - Niagara Falls

I love this one in my garden, and in any garden I've seen. The growth rate is impressive, and it seems to resist the slugs and other pests. Mine doesn't match McT's grand champion (hope to see it here) but it remains a favorite.

Steve

Comments (17)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I love how you can see how upright Niagara Falls is in your shot. It's one of my favorites too!

Here's mine, in it's third year:

Gesila

• hostanista
    10 years ago

GOTTA GOTTA GOTTA GET ME ONE!

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Mine kept a squirrel alive this past winter - I guess. I loved it while I had it. It was my best purchase of 2012. :o(

Theresa

• esox48
    10 years ago

I've planted two of them and killed two of them....

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

Esox, I killed two also. Third one was lucky and it is one of the most impressive hostas I grow. It's not difficult to grow and it is fast. I'm not sure how I killed the other two.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Very nice. I may have to star pulling out Yews so I have more room for Hosta.

Beverly

• ademink
    10 years ago

Had a beautiful one....that showed itself to be infested w/ nematodes several years ago :( SAAAD Tata, little buddy. He didn't survive the boiling.

• dg
    10 years ago

Mine is new to me this spring. It has shot up a flower in the last week. The white speckles are "deer-be-gone" stuff.
    :-)
    Deb

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

Thrives, even in a weedy garden (this was early May and I had not yet gotten to this bed.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I just picked up one this week. I'm looking forward to having a great plant like you guys. It's a beautiful hosta.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

Mine arrived rather late last year, and I put it in a big pot with a fragrant greenie, Aqua Velva.

It's already squeezing Aqua Velva out, and getting some ripples on its borders for sure, doing exactly what I'd hoped it would do. It is a big pot, and I suppose I can wait until dormancy to remove the 2nd hosta.

If you can tell in this picture, NF has a blooming scape already opening.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I am seeing a lot of failures, almost like Great Expectations. Is Niagara Falls a wus? I know I can't blame my failure on anything but my own to protect my hostas from squirrel damage. I should have anticipated their being starved of walnut to drive them to even eat horseradish crowns.

I really would love to have NF and can't afford to buy many to have them die on me.

Theresa

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I'm surprised by all of the failures with Niagara Falls. It's a green hosta. Green hostas are usually easy to grow and grow fast too.

Gesila

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Mine was a small single division when I got it in a hosta sale 3 years ago, now it has 2 eyes and gets big. It is located next to my dry creek. I am waiting until it is really big like McTavish's and hangs over that creek, dreaming. Bernd

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Yes, this has turned out to be one of my success stories. It wasn't always that way though. It looked no where near as nice as Gesila's in it's third year.

It now rules the garden. The leaves registered as being 14 x 11. Mine largest so far is 20 x 12 with many 17 or 18 inches. I love this plant!

• dg
    10 years ago

Wowser Mctavish! I didn't realize Niagara Falls got that big.
    May I ask what height and width of your NF measures?

Deb

• User
    10 years ago

I had no idea there were failures with Niagara Falls. Was I being selectively blind or something? Every one I see is beautiful. Mine arrived looking good, and continues looking that way.

Theresa, I'd say it was not a wimp. Have not experimented with it, nor have I tried to find a spot it does NOT like, but it was easy to please here. Don't let random problems keep you from trying it again.