Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

Hosta collectors

Hello All,

I have been reading this forum on and off for a few years and quite often the term 'hosta collector' is used. My question is: at what point is one considered a collector?

Cheers,

Paula

Comments (13)

• alexis717_df
    11 years ago

When you have more hosta than you have room for.... When you buy 50 plants the first year and 100 plants the next... when a perusal through the Naylor catalog results in a 600.00 wish list, which you cull to 70.00.... When I go to a nursery and say I want that one, and that one, and that one.... When finding the latest greatest becomes a passionate hunt... When I would rather stand in my gardens and talk to and admire my babies.... HMMM... I think an intervention may be in order.

• User
    11 years ago

Speaking of INTERVENTION, Alexis, have you ever watched that show about drug addiction or hoarding? Not that there is any similarity between such dysfunctional habits and acquiring and CARING FOR hosta, but wouldn't it be a pity if someone took exception to the collection of hosta?

I'm assuming that it could become a problem if you kept buying and stacking the pots up in the back yard without attending to the needs of the plants .....or if, as my DH tells me, he really will one day need a MACHETE to get around in the garden.

However, if you look at the book about Little and Lewis gardens on Bainbridge Island WA where they created a green paradise, you see that a certain style of garden thrives on excess. Now THAT is a great way to garden, but it does have its own set of issues.

If you want to see something gorgeous, look for the book The Garden Gallery: The plants, art, and hardscape of the gardens of Little & Lewis. I think Amazon has some available, although it is now out of print.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Garden Gallery

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

When you wonder if you are a collector.....you probably are.

Paul

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

When you quit worrying about a wave of color and attractive combos, or companion plants...just "Do I have that one yet?" Paul is probably right. "When you wonder if you are a collector.....you probably are."

-Babka (confessed collector)

• irawon
    11 years ago

You're a collector when you celebrate summer holidays by buying hostas. I bought some new hostas on Mother's Day and then again on Father's Day. I went out to buy steaks for dinner and returned with hostas. Hubby was on the front porch. As I carried the hostas to the back garden, he said: "I hope you remembered the steaks". The first of July is coming up ..... here it's Canada Day. I already have 'Canadian Blue'.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

please refer to the link ...

and dont wet yourself .... laughing too hard ...

and forgive me if you are too old to appreciate that base level of humor...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• irawon
    11 years ago

Read all the posts to the link. Very amusing.

Ken, how in the world did you move 1, 650 hostas? I need to know. I want to move some of mine with me when we down-size.

Did UK-hostaman ever reveal how he managed to incorporate 'Empress Wu' into his garden.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

You know when your bit? You arrive here and know you are home. Damn the First of July already. I def need a hosta for that. And do not forget Friday Eve. Have a great grow day!!! Paula

• Eleven
    11 years ago

UK did post a general update of his garden this spring. Looks like the last pic has Empress Wu in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: UK garden update

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Paul, I like your answer. :)
    Babka, my thoughts on 'wave of colour and combos' are long gone. Now my thoughts are more like: where am I going to fit this one in? My husband offered to buy a rototiller because he said that we have hardly have any grass left anyway.
    Irawon, I am in Canada, too and hmmmm, yes Canada Day is coming and I don't have Canadian Blue.
    Ken, not too old yet, nor will I ever be!

Thanks for the reponses.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    11 years ago

omg Ken! I was laughing so hard, that my dog was looking at me like I was more crazy than she already thought.
    Loved this one: dreaming about getting a haircut and it looks like a hosta.
    There were so many there that apply to me so although I don't have hundreds of hostas, I suppose I can definitely consider myself a hostaholic.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Eleven, thanks for the UK garden update. UK guy is definitely a collector. The rippled edges were to die for. I added quite a few to my wish list.

Paula b, just want to let you know that 'Canadian Blue' is very similar to 'Halcyon' if you have 'Halcyon' but CB is faster growing if you don't. Happy Canada Day and celebrate with a new hosta.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Irawon, I do have Halcyon so I suppose I will get a different one off of my list :)

I love the answers in Ken's post on Hostaholics so much that I am going to cut and paste into Word and save it on my computer so I don't ever lose it! There are a few t-shirts in my future.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone