Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

Class of 2013 . . . cast your own vote !!!

Ludicious Acres
10 years ago

Moccasin gave me a neat little idea when she responded to my anniversary thread.

I made the metaphor that all the hostas I had acquired in the last year were the “graduating class of 2013”.

Playing along she asked who my Valedictorian was.

This got me thinking . . . we always do some sort of 10 ten post to show off our favorites for the year.

Well . . . why not play on that theme, but give it a new spin. :)

If all the hostas you own were to be grouped together like a graduating class of students, how would you rank them ?

Here are the categories:

Valedictorian
Salutatorian
Honors

Class President

Homecoming Queen

Class Clown
Most likely to Succeed
Teacher’s Pet
Best Dressed
Craziest Hair
Shyest
Most Artistic
Cutest
Shortest
Tallest

You don’t have to think inside the box when you answer these. They will mean many different things to everyone, so go with your first thought. :)

ONLY RULE: You must own the hosta.

Like any good host, I will get the ball rolling.

Valedictorian - Jade Cascade - A strikingly handsome overachiever. I am biased as this is my favorite hosta, but when mature it truly will take your breath away. A+ !!!

Salutatorian - Powder Keg - My first streaker so it holds a special place out of the bunch.

Honors - She’s a Dancer - my only Original Stock. I love her nimble leaves and uniqueness.

Class President - Elegans - She is the oldest of all my hostas and the most diligent. As such, she sets the example for all the others. :)

Homecoming Queen - Parisian Silk - Everything about her is elegant. The hue of blue is soft but vibrant and the leaves have a slight yellow edge which gives the illusion of a halo. Gorgeous !

Class Clown - Cascades - this one likes to lower all its leaves come midday when it is hot so that when I come home for lunch it looks like it’s withered and in desperate need of water. But then I check the pot and it’s soaked. By the end of the day it perks right back up . . . all I hear is “neener neener”.

Most likely to Succeed - Mojito - this poor guy arrived with his central eye smushed from transport and I thought it might not make it . . . but sure enough it shot three new eyes out and it looks amazing now. Would have never guessed it almost rotted two months ago.

Teacher’s Pet - Mikado - mostly because I really really really want to see this guy grow up. Because of this, I find myself giving it a bit more attention than the others.

Best Dressed - Broad Band - the variegation on this one is striking in its own right. While still immature and not showing the proclaimed wide margins, I find it very tidy and always catching my eye.

Craziest Hair - Electrocution - just google a picture of this guy and you will see what I mean. :)

Shyest - Cameo - She is so small and doesn't make much fuss. It is very easy to just glance right on by if you’re not careful.

Most Artistic - Lakeside Paisley Print - the variegation on this one still blows my mind every time. It reminds me of a watercolor where someone just took a paintbrush and lazily dragged it across the leaves. Beautiful !

Cutest - Tiny Tears - the sheer size of this one makes anyone that sees it go “Awwwwww” . . . nuff said. :)

Shortest - Flamenco Mouse - he just a lil guy.

Tallest - Seducer - loooonnngggg pets on this gal. My Grandfather would have called her a “tall glass of water”.

Hope this isn't too corny for some and others play along.

Cheers,

Ludi

This post was edited by Ludisia on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 23:59

Comments (11)

• idiothe
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK... completely off the cuff

Valedictorian June
    Salutatorian Victory
    Honors Liberty/Magic Fire/ Clifford's Forest Fire

Class President Sagae

Class Clown Hanky Panky
    Most likely to Succeed Paradigm
    Teacher’s Pet Sheesh!
    Best Dressed Great Expectations
    Craziest Hair Embroidery
    Shyest Little Maddie
    Most Artistic Stargate
    Cutest Change of Tradition
    Shortest Itsy Bitsy Spider
    Tallest Victory

• User
    10 years ago

Now, Ludi, that post is a tour de force in staying on topic and full of fun. It is also lyrical.

Oh, I will play. But tomorrow morning, when I think about the good candidates for these honors. Right now, I am chuckling because you picked Tiny Tears as the cutest, I gotta 100% agree with you on that. In fact, as recently as yesterday I said the very same thing.....you look at it and can't help saying, "Awwwwwww. It thinks it's a real hosta."

• User
    10 years ago

Ummm, well I'll be darn. I almost did not see IDIOTHE posting, not missing a beat.

Glad to see your power is back, and you're back among the Hostaliers.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

I'd like to nominate June for- Homecoming Queen
    Class President- Big Daddy- he paid his gang to stuff the ballot box
    Class clown- Christmas Tree- wears stupid Christmas sweaters
    Best dressed- Dress Blues- like a guy in uniform and mine is HOT
    Shyest- Abbey- she just whispers
    Cutest- Rainforest Sunrise- looks like a smiley face

Teachers pet- Antioch- got rescued from the woods. Must have been in rehab because the recovery is amazing. I like a good come back story!

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jim, those are great nominations. :)

WW - Good Call on the Homecoming Queen !!!

I added it into the original post and updated my nominations.

Miss Mocc . I can’t wait to see who you pick. I know it will be interesting given the size of your class. :)

• User
    10 years ago

Talk about PRESSURE.....

Valedictorian..Blue Angel...looks like an intellectual to me.

Salutatorian...Rhino Hide....always hanging tough
    Honors..Tokudana Flavocircinalis...one of the exchange students always studying and skewing the grade point average.

Class President..Sagae...like Idiothe, I'd vote for him every time

Homecoming Queen..Goodness Gracious.. I mean, she learned all the graces at Old Miss, she was born to be the HQ

Class Clown...Wheee! nobody else is Toujour Gai all the time!

Most likely to Succeed..Smooth Sailing...has to be, you know? Things always go easy for him, like perfect, out of the box. Being so good looking has something to do with it, don't you think, eh?

Teacher’s Pet..Pandora's Box, yeah, that one always needing special attention, sitting RIGHT ON THE DECK at dinner time so The Woman can tweak her drooping curls.

Best Dressed...Sharp Dressed Man, no less...He's been that way ever since he fell for Diana Remembered and tries to travel in her fancy circles. He might make it this year, I saw him glide his pot right next to hers last week. Yep, watch those two...he has ideas, but she's always a lady.

Craziest Hair..Atom Smasher...I mean, have you taken a LOOK at that hair?

Shyest..Emily Dickinson without a doubt is the shyest little thing to grace the East Coast. So feminine and perfectly poised, her private passions hidden beneath a smooth facade.

Most Artistic...Stained Glass...as good as Papa Monet painting with flower colors, the whole family--cousins and all--have the wildest artistic tendencies. But Stained Glass heads the family.

Cutest..Tiny Tears....Awwww, it think's it's a real hosta!

Shortest..Oze...maybe if he STOOD UP he'd look less short. But that plant is just plain LAZY.

Tallest..Old Faithful...for now anyway. Reminds me of good ole Abe Lincoln, that plain green homespun look, long lanky legs ... Others will surpass his size, but not his strength and manly fragrance.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Homecoming Queen = Dancing Queen

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Ok, I did a once around the garden and got my list of candidates together.
    Valedictorian-Winter Snow - it just looks stunning with beautiful large leaves.
    Salutatorian- Sum and Substance - nice and large
    Honors - Antoinette, just got her this year and she is looking good.
    Class President- Montana Aureo Marginata - large and beautiful
    Homecoming Queen- Squash Casserole , She looks fabulous today- leaves lifted high and the wind fluttering her around as if she is dancing,
    Class Clown- Ripple Effect - twisted leaves going every direction.
    Most Likely to succeed- Golden Meadows- very small now but I am hoping to have a gorgeous plant someday
    Teacher's Pet- Grand Prize - I just really like the looks of this guy. One of my favorites
    Best Dressed - Abaqua Moonbeam - Looking good today. A real standout
    Craziest Hair - Wheee!
    Most Artistic- Blue Ivory - Just beautiful. Thick blue and white leaves. It reminds me of velvet
    cutest- Maui Buttercups
    Shortest- Tortifrons- new and very tiny
    Tallest- Royal Standard- That guy is a monster

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Valedictorian - Empress Wu - That's a given
    Salutatorian - Guacamole
    Class President - Gold Standard
    Honors - Independence
    Most Likely to Succeed - Revolution
    Homecoming Queen - Dream Queen
    Teacher's Pet - Orange Marmalade
    Craziest Hair - Abiqua Drinking Gourd
    Most Artistic - Sky Dancer
    Class Clown - Fried Bananas

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 16:11

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Ok, I did a once around the garden and got my list of candidates together.
    Valedictorian-Winter Snow - it just looks stunning with beautiful large leaves.
    Salutatorian- Sum and Substance - nice and large
    Honors - Antoinette, just got her this year and she is looking good.
    Class President- Montana Aureo Marginata - large and beautiful
    Homecoming Queen- Squash Casserole , She looks fabulous today- leaves lifted high and the wind fluttering her around as if she is dancing,
    Class Clown- Ripple Effect - twisted leaves going every direction.
    Most Likely to succeed- Golden Meadows- very small now but I am hoping to have a gorgeous plant someday
    Teacher's Pet- Grand Prize - I just really like the looks of this guy. One of my favorites
    Best Dressed - Abaqua Moonbeam - Looking good today. A real standout
    Craziest Hair - Wheee!
    Most Artistic- Blue Ivory - Just beautiful. Thick blue and white leaves. It reminds me of velvet
    cutest- Maui Buttercups
    Shortest- Tortifrons- new and very tiny
    Tallest- Royal Standard- That guy is a monster

• irawon
    10 years ago

OK, I'll play. In my garden...

Valedictorian -Queen of the Seas
    Salutatorian - montana Aureomarginata
    Honors- Brother Stefan, Paradigm

Class President -Krossa Regal

Homecoming Queen- Dream Queen