Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasmith

Who can stop with just one?

hostasmith
9 years ago

Not me that's who!

I got a delivery today! I have pictures of them fresh out of the box, but none of them potted. I will post those tomorrow. I went into town today to the Hosta Lady's house, she has quite the collection! We are becoming best of friends! Needless to say it was 10:30 pm when I got done potting.

Anyways here they are:

H. Blueberry Cobbler, H. Warwick Comet, H. Flemish Sky, H. Brass Ring, H. Devil's Advocate

H. Riptide, H. Fumiko, H. Tickle Me Pink, H. Swoosh, 2 x H. Purple Heart, H. Autumn Frost

Look at the size of that Swoosh! At least 10 eyes! Blueberry Cobbler is about the same!

Actually there is not a shabby one in the bunch!

So far 2014 has been a great hosta year for me.

This post was edited by smithstudios71 on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 23:08

Comments (15)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Way to go, Devon! Woohoo! Those are all huge hostas and I have one of them, Flemish Sky. Like the look of Tickle Me Pink. Now I'm going to google the rest and learn something. Thanks for sharing! :-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

yikes... they are on the driveway ... lol

guess you are showing them who is boss at your place ... lol

ken

• DiggingInTheDirt
    9 years ago

Very nice! If you mentioned it, I missed it...where did you order these from?

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got them from Rob on the HL auction site. I did not pay more than $12 for any of them. I was trying to get a Spilt Milk, but got out bid and ended up with these. I am hoping to get a delivery next week of some nice breeders from the guy I had posted about earlier. I am really glad to have Swoosh. I have some seedlings that came from a Swoosh seedling that look really nice. I can't wait to gather seeds from mine.

I think I am off the rails!

9 years ago

I think I am off the rails!
    \ ==>>

ummmm ... we knew that.. when you changed the kid nursery into a grow room for your light setup ..

really??? .... just now you are realizing????

crikey

ken

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Nice bunch there! I actually saw them all in person a couple of weekends back!

Gesila

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

HUGE plants! You made some great choices, Devon. The Warwick Comet is GIGANTIC compared to the one I've had in my Hosta bed for 3 years!

I don't think Rob has anything small, even it's considered a small Hosta. Every plant I get from him is breathtakingly big.

Just received 4 from him this morning I got on the HL auction. My mailman was just shaking his head. I've got potted up Hostas lined up like sentries on my deck, waiting to be planted, and still they're coming in.....

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I agree. The WC may have only had two eyes up, but there are another 3 ready to go.

I try not to be present when mine get delivered. I was outside potting on a 80 plus degree day a couple weeks ago when the mailman pulled in the drive and got my box full of liners out of his trunk and proceeded to throw the box over his shoulder with the arrow saying "this end up live plants" pointing at the ground. I have also heard the UPS guy toss boxes of plants onto the porch with a loud thud! Luckily I haven't had any damaged plants, yet

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Great additions. Good Luck

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I can stop with just one, easily...one of this one and one of that one and another of that one... Hooked.

Babka

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Nice catch!

9 years ago

fine.. ignore me ...

ken

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry ken, my apologies. I like to sometimes make believe I am like other normal people and their plants, until the boxes arrive and yes, nothing but the best for the new ones, as far as the driveway is concerned.

9 years ago

are you missing my point... you had grow lights in the babes room..

AND ONLY NOW.. YOU THINK YOU HIT SOME RAIL???

crikey.. i knew this months ago ...

does de nile run near your house.. lol ...

ken

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, one....of each! Plus a few Guacamoles, please!

Don B.