Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmcdmd

Best Blue Hostas

jmcdmd
16 years ago

"Blue Angel" although nice just isn't blue to me.

Now "Halcyon" and "Brother Ronald" these definitely have a blue cast to them...especially when planted next to a green or gold.

So what are some REALLY BLUE hostas that I need to consider planting. Size is not a factor.

And I thank you all in advance.

Comments (30)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Love pat is my bluest...but of course it's planted in deep shade.
    Linda C

• Carole Westgaard
    16 years ago

Azure Snow. It gets only two hours of a.m. sun. I have Love Pat, Hadspen, Blue Wedgewood, Wheaton Blue, Winfield Blue and Blue Angel. I think Blue Angel is the un-bluest of the blues! Azure Snow gets my vote. But it all depends on the degree of shade, I guess!

Westy

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Topaz is my bluest!

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Love Pat and my newest Blue Mouse Ears.

• nchostaqueen
    16 years ago

Skylight gets my vote...best blue for me.

• digs57
    16 years ago

Blue Jay, Dorset Blue, Halcyon, Canadian Blue (a Halcyon twin, I think), Lakeside Blue Jeans, Blue Ice, Blue Wedgwood, Love Pat, Hadspen Blue, True Blue, Sea Hero. Even Blue Mammoth and Big Daddy. My garden's pretty shady.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

my best this year are mostly included in the post at the link .. ken

Here is a link that might be useful: eric smith's

• chocolateis2b8
    16 years ago

I like Samual Blue because of it's bumpy texture and the way it stays blue in a fair amount of sun. Mine has been a great grower for me. But IMHO, any blue looks bluer if you surround it with green. Notice that in this pic of Samual Blue?

{{gwi:634842}}

Or this lovely blue I'm not sure of the name of, but I think it's Blue Mountain, just don't quote me on that, lol.

• sandykk
    16 years ago

My goodness what a beautiful Samuel Blue!! I have one who is recovering from the voles. They just loved him to death almost. Hope he makes a comeback to be big and blue one day.

• User
    16 years ago

I just purchased a beautiful icy blue called Silver Bay! The bluest in my garden. Here are just a few of my blues:
    Love Pat
    Blue Arrow
    Gum Drop
    Blue Dimples
    Blue Ice (D)
    Blue Wedgwood
    Blue Angel
    Blue Mouse Ears
    Cutting Edge
    Prairie Sky
    Elvis Lives
    Kiwi Blue Baby
    Queen of the Seas
    Silver Bay
    Blueberry Tart
    Wheaton Blue
    Blue Angel (streaked)
    Blue Cadet
    Halcyon

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

Halcyon,Abiqua Drinking Gourd,and even my Queen of the Seas is really blue! My Elegans are pretty blue this year,also. Phil

• hostarox
    16 years ago

I have alot of shade as well, so my blues keep longer. I would say Skylight is the bluest for a clear powdery blue, along with Blue Jay....and the deepest blue I have is Deep Blue Sea. But....There's lots of others that are great Hostas that stay blue a long time. I can't name them all lol. One blue with an edge that knocks my socks off is El Nino, and it's from Halcyon, another great blue Hosta.

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

I agree with NChostaqueen and Hostarox about skylight. Its a blue like no other. I got it this spring and I cant wait for more eyes.

My second favorite is Fragrant Blue.

• mainma
    16 years ago

This has been the hosta topic for me this week. Last weekend, I saw a bed with dozens of solid blue hosta. It was interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of blues grown under the same condition. The two that stood out in this planting were Powderpuff and Silver Bay.

Blue Jay and Halcyon were second.

I don't recall seeing Skylight in the bed-- but I hear good things about this one.

M-A

• buff24
    16 years ago

I think my favorite solid blue hosta would have to be Fragrant Blue. In my garden, it holds it's frosty blue color the best.

Fragrant Blue in the back, with Stained Glass on the left, and Ginsu Knife on the right. Heuchera 'Obsidian' on the far, far right (you can barely see it, almost looks like a shadow) 6-9-07

Fragrant Blue 6-9-07

My favorite variegated blue (but still mostly blue), would have to be Touch of Class. That's Pearl Lake in the back, Stained Glass peeking in from the right, and tiny little streaky Swirls, under the leaves of SG and FB. 6-9-07

Thanks,
    Buff

• digs57
    16 years ago

Wow, Buff - those are amazingly gorgeous blues.
    D.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I'm just reviewing my own hosta collection going through some of the older threads I've saved. I wondered if anyone had anything interesting to add to this, and a couple others you'll see popping up "live" again!

Thanks,
    Christine

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Blue Blazes, Big Daddy, Blue Ice, Halcyon, Blue Dimples.

• altheatime
    9 years ago

I, too, love Fragrant Blue and Touch of Class.
    Thank you for the gorgeous photos!

• barbara shortall
    6 years ago

I have a massive blue hosta in my front garden bed, it loves the sun, no shade at all

• koffman99
    6 years ago

Deep Blue Sea is probably my favorite blue.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    6 years ago

Hadspen Blue

Blue Hawaii

Blue Jay

Yankee Blue

Camelot

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My Blue Umbrella and Halcyon are disappointingly NOT very blue.

Blue Vision is the bluest I have. And it's not nearly as blue as Buff's beauties.

Here's First Frost. It's not bad (when compared to Midwest Magic to its right), but again, not as blue as Buff's.

• ninamarie
    6 years ago

Neptune is a very frosty blue, almost silver, and has the benefit of pie-crust edges. Blueberry Muffin is very blue as is Blue Regal.

• jimr66
    6 years ago

My 4 bluest

Big Daddy

Halcyon

Gentle Giant

Blue Mammoth.

More blue-green

Queen of the Seas.

Neptune

Blue Angel

Andorian

Fragrant Blue.

Elegans

Krossa Regal.

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Chiemsee Blaue Taube up left and Flemish Sky below right

Blue Angel, my oldest and most loved

Deep Blue Sea, Blue Arrow, Queen of the Seas, Blue Venus, Abiqua Blue Crinkles, Blue Mouse Ears and many more, because I do like blue hostas...

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Silver Bay and Flemish Sky. First Frost can be exquisitely blue, also.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It's a lot of fun seeing a 2007 post, then 7 years later it gets resurrected...then again 3 years later to present day.

Hadspen Blue / Flemish Sky / Krossa Regal / Moody Blues

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

NOT Blue, but a very slow growing Empress Wu