don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi all,

'Christmas Tree'

Comments (18)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'First Frost' with pround parent 'Halcyon'...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Big Daddy'...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Alligator Shoes'...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Fortunei Aureomarginata'...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Lakeside Kaleidoscope'...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Dust Devil'...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

South side bed...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...and 'Green Gold' might be my favorite white-margined 'Fortunei' type...

Thanks For Looking,
    Don B.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

I got excited to see Big Daddy starting to cup nicely for you! Als,o Lakeside Paisley is looking beautiful! Is it a good grower?

OT: this is the second thread now where I've seen really beautiful golden moneywort as a groundcover/companion. I was half convinced to try it out myself, but then I realized that the stuff I recently battled on my front lawn is the plain old green version of moneywort. Do you find it easy to control in your beds?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, WW. 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope' has grown very well for me. As for the Moneywort, I find it manageable. Once every couple weeks or so, I just cut or rip out whatever I see that is growing out of its' boundaries.

Regards,
    Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting, Don they are all looking really good. I bought Lakeside Kaleidoscope a couple of days ago and I like that it looks nice even when it is young.

I have Creeping Jenny/Moneywort, too but I haven't actually allowed it to encircle a hosta - would it choke it out? I find it easy to control just by ripping up what you don't want. It might look nice to have it under a larger hosta, something with gold edging or gold center? I like what you have done puttiing it with Halcyon and First Frost.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Paula,
    I've only had Hosta, with a couple of exceptions, for two seasons now. But there are some peeps on the forum who grow Creeping Jenny with their hosta with no apparent problems. The 'First Frost' I have was planted in that bed last season with the Creeping Jenny already established for years, and came up quite a bit larger than it was last year. Big pips pokin' up through the C.J. this spring.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I think I will give it a go. CJ doesn't root deeply, just often and if I put something strong with it for example: Blue Angel or Krossa Regal, I think it should work out fine.

CP doesn't allow any other weeds to get through and it is cheaper than mulch :) (if you already have it, as I do),

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing Don. I'm interested in how those wide white edges on Lakeside Kaleidoscope hold up later in the summer for you. One picture on the hosta library shows some raggedy edges.

Beverly

• irawon
    10 years ago

Hi Don,

I'm glad to see your 'Alligator Shoes' looking so blue. I just got one this year. Thanks for the pictures.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing Don. Your hostas are growing nicely. I can't wait to see the same shots next year as they are going to look so different!

Your gardens remind me of mine a few years back. I dug out my Creeping Jenny and Lillies of the Valley this year. They both were hard to manage with hostas that had grown up.

Gesila

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Gesila,

How did you find it hard to manage? Was it strangling the hostas? Or did you have a large patch that was getting into everything? Just curious because I want to know the negatives before I make a huge mistake. Years ago I planted Snow On the Mountain and literally took me years to eradicate it! When I moved here - Lily Of the Valley everywhere, what a nightmare.

• User
    10 years ago

I got Lakeside Kaleidoscope in September 2011 up in MA. The next spring it came up in Mobile looking gorgeous. Then it came down with foliar nematodes, along with two others I got from the same nursery. I treated them with a 20% bleach soak (made the roots really nice and white), repotted all three, and isolated them for the last year. So far this year, no signs of the return of foliar nematodes. But the treatment really set it back.

this year picture