Great Expectations...

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deja Blu...

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I came home tonight to vast quantities of Oak Tree flowers covering my yard. I think that ice storm we had this past winter really shook this tree up - I've never seen it flower like this...

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I have different debris.. but to the same extent !

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

like this?

We woke up Saturday, and the 17 year cicadas (there, feel better, ken?) were all over everything! (Brood III) Illinois got them too. We'll get them again next year (Brood IV)

This post was edited by bragu on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 1:48

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Oak tree party poppers debris. And you thought they slept at night.

Paul

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bragu - I haven't seen any Cicadas yet this season. About 3 years ago we had tonnes & tonnes. I think they're cool...although a little creepy.

Leafwatcher - do you normally pick off / wash off the debris from the plants?

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I get the same thing every year on my hostas,as I live in the woods,as does my garden. The only difference between me and others is,I never show that in my pics. I am constantly picking off debris off my hostas,and thankfully,the Oaks are done for this year. Now,what I have to contend with is Poplar petals! There's always something! Then,this morning I had to pick up a dead branch from the garden,that did not hit any hostas! When will it ever stop? Phil

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

I'll trade your oak debris for my maple seeds. These things will often cut right into the hosta leaves when the hit at the wrong angle. I also get the benefit of the root competition.

It has been a banner year for all the tree seeds. I think due to the heavy winter and any stress, plants naturally try to reproduce more.

City Lights

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

I'll trade your oak debris for my maple seeds. These things will often cut right into the hosta leaves when the hit at the wrong angle. I also get the benefit of the root competition.

It has been a banner year for all the tree seeds. I think due to the heavy winter and any stress, plants naturally try to reproduce more.

City Lights

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Notwithstanding the debris, great looking hostas Connie May!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Yep- I spent an afternoon scrubbing the deck and patio. It all looked so nice and clean - until the next morning. Oak tree flowers were falling like snow. It rained hard last weekend and cleaned off a lot of the gunk from the hostas, but the ground is still covered.

It must have been the heat and drought last year. I've got little Oaks and Walnuts coming up everywhere, and it looks like another bumper crop this year.

Like that Deja Blu, hoping mine improves to that point.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Surrounding area and hostas showered with honeysuckle spent blossoms but looking rather pretty as do the pics above. Something different. I guess it all depends on the individual's viewpoint. A thread out of the ordinary :-)

The hostas depicted in these pictures are quite beautiful.

Here is S&S, to the left centre of it is Ann Kulpa, left top is Golden Sunburst, bottom centre is L. Shore Master and Hadspen Blue to the right. Gold Confetti covered hosta!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

is a cicada a locust???

i am serious... ???

i thought that the common grasshopper.. when they horde.. are then called locust ...

i want to know.. w/o searching myself...

ken

ps: yeah.. who knew a nut tree.. is a fruit tree ...

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I think I have you all beat as far as a messy tree and things falling on my hosta and lawn. This beautiful tree is a Silver Popular and was planted some 40 yrs ago and never use to do this until the last 10 years. The pods are like grapes then burst and are full of cotton that sticks to everything. Unless you get down on your hands and knees or your butt and rake with your fingers will it come out.. I have tried leaf blower, and lawnmower with the bag but to no avail. Two weeks I hate the tree, the rest of the season , it is a perfect hosta garden haven

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Here is a close up on the mess and cleaning up is my job for tomorrow unless it rains like today. Getting a yard full of company Saturday so would like it perfect if that is ever possible.

9 years ago

Gorgeous! Is there a hosta tour coming through your place? Wish I lived in B.C.!

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

No tour coming through until July and our( as in Myrle and my) neighbour belongs to a garden club asked if they could come see both of our gardens so we said yes. Hopefully looks as great in July as things look in June. Just a bunch of friends that are coming for our monthly get together and my turn to be the hostess.. They are the kind if friends that know there are green hosta and green and white ones lol

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Wow, your hosta are beautiful enough to still look great in spite of the "decorations." Mine are also under a huge white oak, so they get the confetti in spring and acorn-bombs later. Wouldn't trade that oak for anything, though!

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I Knock off some of the debris each trip by.. However like mentioned before. and absolute insane amount of seeds are coming off the trees...

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I get the same thing from the Pecan trees. The pecans are much more prolific than the oaks, though. I never get it all off. I wonder about it going down into the petioles and rotting. Probably not a problem. As the DH says, I'm probably borrowing trouble.

bk

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Connie, I LOVE the picture of Sagae!

The gardens are a mess now, first came the cotton, then the little white balls, now the helicopters and the oak tree tree things. I can't wait to clean things up, the wind is blowing everything around right now (plus, I have tax work to do).

Here's my Dream Queen, what a mess she is, and with Bobbie Sue on her left and Ann Kulpa on her right, I can't even get to her to clean her up!

Gesila

9 years ago

Gesila, are all those in the last pics growing in pots or in the ground? 600??? Yikes! I'm floored how you can keep them all so pristine!! Hats off to you!

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Josephine, those are all in the ground. Great Expectations, which is in the upper left hand corner, is in a raised bed. I'll post a new message on some of my secrets to keeping the hosta beds clean.

Gesila

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I am constantly cleaning debris off my hosta. IT'S MY DAY JOB!

DD

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was fun deliberately leaving the stuff on the plants for their pictures yesterday. Of course now I'm stuck with a bunch of pictures of my plants with junk all over them...and I'm terrible about hoarding pictures of my plants!

All of your pictures of plants covered in debris are really terrific shots of great looking plants. And they're funny to me - like a beautiful woman with her skirt tucked into her underwear... :)

p.s. Cicadas are not Locusts

• User
    9 years ago

ConnieMae, I think the hosta look fine with and without the "worms" is what I call them. The things I have trouble with are the pecans and sweet gum balls.

The sweet gum with spikes on it tears through hosta leaves like a missile. I can feel them beneath my shoes, and picking them up is very necessary. Then the pecans do the same thing, with their heft. However, further insult and injury come from squirrels burying the nuts in my pots. Pulling out a sprouted pecan is hard to do, since the squirrels seem to always put them in the hole sideways.....like reeling in a gut hooked fish to pull it out. Most always wind up removing a good bit of potting mix to remove the sprouts.

Here are some fresh green sweet gum balls brought down by the winds this week. Ouch!

Plus, BK, the pecan worms slide down the petioles like down a funnel, and it is very hard to pull them out once they form a felted mat at the base. I think cutworms hide there, so I try to remove the worst of it.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

iron gate glamor

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

garden party

This post was edited by bragu on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 14:28

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

aqua velva

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

potomac pride

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

sum and substance

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I finally , after two hard days have most of the tree yuk off the plants and in the waterfall . It is reasonably clean now but same thing in the fall with all the leaves. Now to enjoy for a day or so until the weeds come back! Maybe not for a couple hours! I have bread dough to punch down and make into loaves and buns. Have to try out my new stove

• User
    9 years ago

Bragu, I note you have a couple of the fragrant plants in your garden. My Iron Gate Glamour is not doing so well and Aqua Velva is much smaller than yours. Old Faithful is doing nicely though. Only a few of the sasanqua leaves are on the plants here. That's a piece of plantaginea on the far left then Old Faithful, Cathedral Windows, and So Sweet

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

moc:

neat! My aqua velva is really special, probably third season for me, perhaps fourth. My really good friend had it and gave me a piece the year before he died. He was the only other person in town that had more hostas than me. His garden got raided after he died.

I had forgotten IGG was in the garden. The front of its tag had faded and I didn't redo it last year, but as I always have the name on the back side of the tag, and underground, and on a map, and on my computer and on index cards - can you say anal? - it was a slight surprise because I thot it had disappeared.

Cathedral Windows is beauteous. I only have Stained Glass. I love So Sweet, it lives up to its name, and it is quite durable, I use it as a border plant for my path ... my fragrant path (heh heh) ... a veritable treat for the olfactory lobes ...

dkB