Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

NEED: Big, Vase shaped and upright

thisismelissa
9 years ago

So, here's the dealy-o.
I'm moving forward with planting behind my garage.
It's 17 feet wide and about 5 feet deep. It will be viewed from above (windows and the deck) and from almost eye level, since the bed is raised by about 30". If it weren't for the fact that I am incredibly overcrowded, with several giant plants, I wouldn't bother with planting this area. But I've already cut down the yews and am removing the rock now. So I want to have my planting plan ready to execute lickety split.

Within that 17x5, I have to move Sagae and 2 very large hosta. Vase shaped and very upright. Think American Sweetheart, Krossa Regal types. VERY UPRIGHT. I want to be able to plant under them with a medium and some smalls, so other than Sagae's slight drooping, I want to keep 'em upright.

They also need to mix well with Sagae. Perhaps a solid blue, green or gold, and also a light center/dark margin..

My plan is to use something from my existing collection, as I desperately need to make some room. So, here's what I know I have available, that are already large. There maybe more, so throw out the suggestions.

King James
Sum & Substance
Sum & Subtle
Winter Snow
Gold Regal
Arctic Blast
Komodo Dragon
Abba Daba Do
Paradise Power
Days End
Queen of the Seas
Hercules
Olive Bailey Langdon
Blue Mammoth

Do not suggest Empress Wu. She has been moved to a spot made just for her and she ain't movin.

The area will get bright overhead sun from about noon till 3. The garden just below that was planted in 2010 and has exploded. So I know that area will keep 'em big.

Oh, I should mention, the tall shrub on the left is a Burning Bush. The one on the right is Hydrangea 'Limelight', and it's nearly as tall as the Burning Bush now.

So, based on your experience with the plants listed above, as well as others you've had in your garden for more than 5 years, what kind of suggestions do you think?

If there's something on the list that clearly doesn't meet the desired effect, please let me know that too!

Thanks y'all!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)